Thanks Thanks:  315
Likes Likes:  1,111
Page 13 of 90 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Assistant Coaches

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    For all the pointing jokes we made he was rated decently highly for his leadership skills wasn't he? Boyd had similar tendencies and seems to have made a good coach too so maybe there's something there.
    I think he has a good footy brain and would be someone who insists on high standards.
    I'm not sure if that transitions into him being a good assistant coach or development coach so I'd be interested to hear from others if they think he could add some value?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think he went there to further expand his senior coaching opportunities but if Hird, Solomon and McVeigh are heading back he might be the odd one out.

I wonder if he would be interested in returning? He probably should look at another club.
    Gia , given the rabble that now exists at Essendon must be regretting his move. A lot of Bombers members are less than impressed with the possibility of a James Hird return as Coach.
    To think we might have lost Josh Dunkley as well beggars belief.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he has a good footy brain and would be someone who insists on high standards.
    I'm not sure if that transitions into him being a good assistant coach or development coach so I'd be interested to hear from others if they think he could add some value?
    Big yes from me for the reason you’ve outlined. He has a good footy brain and is able to articulate his views forthrightly and simply.

He is easy to dislike because of his onfield behaviour but when I’ve heard him speak I’ve enjoyed listening to him. Which at the time was hard for me to reconcile
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather Mr Snuffleupagus.

Always came across as a guy who had little control over his emotions.

Never forget his faux tears after his new club beat his old club.
    Give me a spell wipe those tears with your new found cash!

Whether he can coach or not I have nfi. But I feel better getting that off my chest.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you think would Brendon Goddard go as a development coach or even as an assistant coach?
    He'd be better off getting his handicap down and playing the odd pro-am here or there.

Whether he's changed or is the same, he's tainted and I don't think he'd command, earn or deserve respect as a people manager. Do you remember the harsh ex-player arseholes you couldn't relate to on the radio when you were a kid? Goddard is one of those guys now.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He'd be better off getting his handicap down and playing the odd pro-am here or there.

Whether he's changed or is the same, he's tainted and I don't think he'd command, earn or deserve respect as a people manager. Do you remember the harsh ex-player arseholes you couldn't relate to on the radio when you were a kid? Goddard is one of those guys now.
    The ex-players on the radio when I was a kid typically just called the game and I can't recall regarding them as harsh.
    Things have changed now.
    You might be onto something though that the direct approach that someone like Goddard might bring probably doesn't resonate with the younger players coming through now which is a critical aspect of coaching. I'm not so sure about the respect aspect.

I don't mind listening to Goddard, he clearly explains his views and tends to call it straight down line.
    I'd really like to get Matthew Boyd back because I liked his direct approach with his team mates when he was a leader of the club but assuming that isn't possible I saw some of those traits in Goddard.

7. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anthony Rocca has been cut from North - I really do believe he's the best goalkicking coach available.
    We have to make an offer. What he did with Casboult was remarkable.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Anthony Rocca has been cut from North - I really do believe he's the best goalkicking coach available.
    We have to make an offer. What he did with Casboult was remarkable.
    I thought is was Sav Rocca who worked with Casboult on his kicking.

Wasn't Anthony an assistant at Collingwood with Buckley?
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this has been mentioned but we won't be getting Leon Cameron. I think I heard Caroline Wilson mention that he may be taking a position with Sydney.

FORMER GWS COACH CAMERON DENIES BULLDOGS LINKS

Former GWS coach Leon Cameron has denied reports linking him to a role at the Western Bulldogs.

SEN’s Sam Edmund reported last week that the Bulldogs were considering bringing Cameron - who played 172 games for the club as a player before working as an assistant from 2004 to 2010 - back to the Kennel in a football capacity.

While the report suggested the club was simply starting “informal” talks with the 49-year-old, Cameron says he and his family won’t be shifting away from Sydney for at least another year as his children complete their schooling.

“No, I actually heard that from my daughter,” Cameron said on AFL Nation in response to whether he’d spoken to the Bulldogs.

“She’s doing year 12 and I said, ‘What are you ringing me for you should be studying’, she said, ‘I’ve just heard you’ve been talking to the Bulldogs’, so I said, ‘No, no we haven’t’.

“So no, there hasn’t been (any negotiations) and I heard that during the week.

“We’re really comfortable here, I’ve got three kids here and my second child Harry is going into year 11.

“We plan to be staying for at least the next 12 – 24 months.”

Having spent the majority of his life in the industry across multiple positions, Cameron says he’s looking forward to seeing “what else is out there” despite knowing his itch to get back involved in football will eventually surface.

“I think a bit of time out after 34 years from playing into assisting into senior coaching (is what’s best),” he said.

“Just to sort of see what else is out there.

“As every day, week and month goes on there’s no doubt the itch will become a bit bigger and you’ll want to get straight back into it.

“Whether that’s as a senior assistant or in a different path as a football manager or as a senior coach again, there’s no doubt it’ll be there.

“But, right now, I’m just enjoying being a little bit normal.”

Cameron parted ways with the Giants in May after nine years in charge and has recently been working in the media with SEN and AFL Nation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned but we won't be getting Leon Cameron. I think I heard Caroline Wilson mention that he may be taking a position with Sydney.
    It was mentioned on the contract thread and the Leon Cameron stepping down thread.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    It was mentioned on the contract thread and the Leon Cameron stepping down thread.
    Well the first one is a lie because that thread doesn't exist I am told. Even if it did exist discussion about prospective assistant coaches certainly doesn't belong there.

I found the mention in the Leon Cameron thread after I posted, but my post contains actual quotes from the man himself and is superior in every way.

13. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just reading an article that said Nathan Burke is only employed part time which I suppose it's because the Womens aren't doing a full season like the men.
    I was thinking to get around the cap could we make Burke full time and have him help the men in some capacity when it doesn't conflict with his AFLW commitments.
    The other thing Burke may not want to work full time or with the men.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I was just reading an article that said Nathan Burke is only employed part time which I suppose it's because the Womens aren't doing a full season like the men.
    I was thinking to get around the cap could we make Burke full time and have him help the men in some capacity when it doesn't conflict with his AFLW commitments.
    He's at Skinner reserve on Thursday and occasionally he's there on other days but there does not appear to be any crossover with the men's side. I'm not a big fan of his basically because of something he wrote about us years back in Inside Football and while I should let it go I choose not to

16. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't say I was a fan when he played but he has won me over a little bit with the girls. He appears to be a little like Bevo in he gets on well with the players.
    It will be interesting how the girls go this season and if he can get improvement out of the list.
    The angle was to get another coach to help without being in the main coaches financial bucket.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I think it's a soft-cap issue and most clubs are being forced to get people working in one program OR the other...

The AFL need to put some time into figuring all of this out.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.