Thanks Thanks:  315
Likes Likes:  1,111
Page 14 of 90 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Assistant Coaches

Speaking of assistants I noticed that our aflw assistant Lisa Webb is now senior coach of Fremantles aflw side.

I assume Lisa will still be based in Melbourne when the aflw is finished?

Edit GVG already covered this in the correct forum!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Daniel impressed by Lade’s impact

Western Bulldogs leader Caleb Daniel has lauded new assistant coach Brendon Lade for his impact so far this pre-season.

Daniel, who is one of several players being trialled in different positions ahead of the 2023 campaign, said hearing from someone different of Lade’s calibre has been beneficial.

“Ladey is a very experienced campaigner and has been around the AFL for a long time,” Daniel told 3AW on Tuesday night.

“We’ve got a pretty handy midfield that he’s coming in to help out there, so it’s been great to be able to hear his voice and hear some different things coming from him.

“He’s really honed in on that midfield group, - there’s guys coming through that necessarily haven’t played too much there, and guys that have played 200 games there. It’s an exciting blend.”

The Bulldogs will compete in an intraclub match simulation at Mars Stadium this weekend, as they ramp up preparations for round one - just over three weeks away.

Daniel said the intraclub game will be a great chance to put some of their pre-season lessons and preparations into effect.

“You probably hear it from everyone – that the boys are flying – but it’s certainly been that way from a Doggies end,” Daniel said.

“I think coming back in early December, we really strived to be a bit better than we have been previously and guys have come back in great nick which is certainly showing.

“We’re running great GPS numbers – and there are guys playing in several different positions, which is something Bevo holds in pretty high regard.

“It’s an exciting blend, so hopefully we’ll be able to roll that out throughout the year.”

3. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's fair to say that Calebs opinion would be held right across the group. Lade has connected the other assistant coaches and the group is productively working together.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Thanks Bulldog4life, G-Mo77 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is an article behind the Herald Sun paywall, but going by the messaging it appears that Rohan Smith will be finishing up at the end of the season.

7. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    There is an article behind the Herald Sun paywall, but going by the messaging it appears that Rohan Smith will be finishing up at the end of the season.
    Western Bulldogs’ favourite son Rohan Smith will not be part of the club’s assistant coaching panel in a surprise change for next season.
    The Dogs’ back line coach has been told his contract will not be renewed as part of a big adjustment to Luke Beveridge’s coaching staff for next season.
    Clubs have to notify their coaching staff in August about whether they will be employed for next season in an effort to help coaches plan for the following year.

But the call has taken many by surprise at the kennel as Smith, who was part of the 2016 premiership, is one of the most popular and respected figures at the club.
    Smith, who played 300 games for the Dogs – the seventh most in the club’s history – has been coaching at the club for 12 years.
    Senior coach Luke Beveridge has lauded Smith’s contribution to the premiership and his work with the defenders and young developing prospects for more than a decade

It means Smith’s contract at the club will end in October. He will continue to coach the team for the rest of the season including the potential finals campaign.

Some coaches have walked away from their duties after being given notice but Smith has told the club he wants to continue to help support and guide the players for the rest of 2023.
    Smith, 50, has been back line coach between 2013 – 2016 and 2020-2023.

In between those two stints he was development manager and started out as skills coach in 2012.
    It followed a decorated career where the half back was dual All-Australian.

The AFL Coaches Association is campaigning hard with the league to help bolster contract termination clauses for coaches to help provide them more protection.
    The Coaches’ Association also wants to develop a transition fund to help provide opportunities for coaches who have been in the system for a long time to move into new jobs.
    It is unknown if Smith wants to continue coaching at another club next year after more than 30 years in the game

9. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's only the start of August so hopefully the news of Spangher being let go is not far behind.

11. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    It's only the start of August so hopefully the news of Spangher being let go is not far behind.
    Not sure why you'd single him out. I reckon it's pretty hard to tell if an assistant coach is any good.

Overall though, I think a fresh set of assistants would be handy.

I hope Smith gets another gig somewhere. Very experienced and did a great job with our defence, particularly early, and has helped a number of players (particularly running players like himself) become All Australian/very good players.

13. Likes josie, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if we have a replacement lined up. Feels like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Not sure why you'd single him out. I reckon it's pretty hard to tell if an assistant coach is any good.

Overall though, I think a fresh set of assistants would be handy.

I hope Smith gets another gig somewhere. Very experienced and did a great job with our defence, particularly early, and has helped a number of players (particularly running players like himself) become All Australian/very good players.
    You kind of answered that. Our backline was fantastic in 2016, why they changed that who would know. Smith has his fingerprints all over the success.

Then look at our forward line. We've had some natural progression with JUH, Cody is a very good small forward but do we really have anything from our forward line we've been pleased with. Poor kicking, no leading patterns, forwards leading in to each other, forward pressure poor. That is the fingerprint I see from Spangher. Not saying I'm right, just the way I see it.

Post Thanks / Like

Rohan Smith has been sensational across his career at the dogs his passion is unquestioned. Its very hard to tell from the outside but feels like we should have changed further last year post review but all we can do is thank Rohan for his efforts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    You kind of answered that. Our backline was fantastic in 2016, why they changed that who would know. Smith has his fingerprints all over the success.

Then look at our forward line. We've had some natural progression with JUH, Cody is a very good small forward but do we really have anything from our forward line we've been pleased with. Poor kicking, no leading patterns, forwards leading in to each other, forward pressure poor. That is the fingerprint I see from Spangher. Not saying I'm right, just the way I see it.
    i have as little insight into this as most people on here but for what it’s worth, Libba was complementary of Spangher the other week on a radio interview.

Sad to see Rohan leave and I hope he gets a gig elsewhere but we need change

18. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Leppitsch would be an interesting one. He could put in some agro into our midfield , much needed aggression

21. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With some speculation that we will lose Webb and that Lade hasn't quite settled into the role there could be at least one more change coming to our coaches box. I got to see Smith up close during the preseason and he is a great communicator and sets very innovative coaching drills. We will miss him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

23. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    With some speculation that we will lose Webb and that Lade hasn't quite settled into the role there could be at least one more change coming to our coaches box. I got to see Smith up close during the preseason and he is a great communicator and sets very innovative coaching drills. We will miss him.
    Interesting comments around Lade.