Thanks Thanks:  315
Likes Likes:  1,111
Page 15 of 90 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Assistant Coaches

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    With some speculation that we will lose Webb and that Lade hasn't quite settled into the role there could be at least one more change coming to our coaches box. I got to see Smith up close during the preseason and he is a great communicator and sets very innovative coaching drills. We will miss him.
    Webb will be a big loss if it is correct but understand if he is going back to WA. He will no doubt be targeted by Freo/Eagles as he is very highly rated. Players really like him as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Webb will be a big loss if it is correct but understand if he is going back to WA. He will no doubt be targeted by Freo/Eagles as he is very highly rated. Players really like him as well.
    Depends what happens with Simpson at the Eagles because if he gets a pay out it will come out of the footy dept soft cap and they'll need to lose coaches. Fremantle seem to be well stocked for coaches unless Boyd is looking for a move back to Victoria there might not be any room there as well. I wonder if he might end up at StKilda and a reunion with Lyon.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    It's only the start of August so hopefully the news of Spangher being let go is not far behind.
    Can I ask why? Our forward line has started to function more effectively in the back half of the season while our defence is continuing to leak goals at a concerning rate. He's been with us for less than a year, and his line of direct accountability has clearly improved as the year has progressed.

Are we judging Rohan Smith on his work with the backline group 7 years ago or this year?
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

4. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo getting quite emotional in the presser talking about Rohan Smith.

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo.

"What has happened here in the pandemic time and the supply and demand of the coaching rosters and the bringing down of the soft cap. The lack of players leaving the game willing to take on the pressure of being an assistant coach at the peak level. Other clubs have picked the eyes out of us. We have lost three coaches who we did not want to leave in Gia, Hansen and King who will be senior candidates at other clubs. They did magnificent jobs here and have been influential. Jordan Russell and Joel Corey who we also didn't want to lose but we had to."

7. Thanks azabob, josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Bevo.

"What has happened here in the pandemic time and the supply and demand of the coaching rosters and the bringing down of the soft cap. The lack of players leaving the game willing to take on the pressure of being an assistant coach at the peak level. Other clubs have picked the eyes out of us. We have lost three coaches who we did not want to leave in Gia, Hansen and King who will be senior candidates at other clubs. They did magnificent jobs here and have been influential. Jordan Russell and Joel Corey who we also didn't want to lose but we had to."
    Presser made it seem more like Bubba's call than ours.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems Bubba has a lot of health issues that covid started.
    Maybe it’s taken its toll.
    Hopefully he comes through ok, a very popular person through the AFL , even opposition fans never found a reason to not like him.
    Bring back the biff

10. Likes Testekill, HOSE B ROMERO, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Could we get Dale Morris back?

12. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Bevo.

I reckon that's a bunch of Baloney.

Every club has the same soft cap, losing coaches to other sides who fit under the same soft cap regime doesn't make any sense in blaming the soft cap. They left because they wanted a bigger/better opportunity.

14. Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    I reckon that's a bunch of Baloney.

Every club has the same soft cap, losing coaches to other sides who fit under the same soft cap regime doesn't make any sense in blaming the soft cap. They left because they wanted a bigger/better opportunity.
    i think the issue isn?t the cap part, it?s the soft part. Perhaps we can?t afford the ?tax? on going over the cap that say Geelong can.

16. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I don't think it was
    Clubs need to let assistant coaches know before the end of the season if they're not going to be offered another deal. Smith could have made the call much later. There were murmurings that Smith was going when I was at the GWS game.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I wonder if there is another senior gig lined up for him?

Post Thanks / Like

Rohan Smith to depart Kennel

Western Bulldogs legend Rohan Smith will depart the Club at the end of the 2023 season, after more than two decades as a player and coach of the red, white and blue.

The 50-year-old has been an assistant coach since 2012 and was in charge of the defensive unit during the drought-breaking 2016 Bulldogs? Premiership.

Smith?s coaching career follows a stellar playing history at VU Whitten Oval in which he played 300 games for the Bulldogs, claiming two All Australian jackets and elevated into the Club?s Hall of Fame in 2014.

Bulldogs? Executive Director of Football, Chris Grant, said Smith?s contribution to the Club has been profound over a sustained period.

?Rohan has been a stalwart of this Football Club for over 25 years and he will leave a lasting legacy as both a player and a coach,? Grant said.

?His knowledge, passion and dedication to the red, white and blue was an important element to the Club breaking its Premiership drought in 2016, with his playing days littered with accomplishments.

?Rohan?s 12 years of service as an assistant coach will always be valued by those players and staff he worked alongside. We wish Rohan, Alison and their family all the best for the future.?

Smith thanked the Club and players for their belief and trust in him over the last 12 seasons.

?The Bulldogs will always be a part of my life and it has been an absolute privilege to serve as a player and coach for as long as I have,? he said.

?Winning the 2016 Premiership will remain the best day of my footballing life, and I will treasure the memories and relationships I?ve made alongside all the players and football staff across the past 12 years.

?I?ve always approached coaching with an eagerness to get the best out of the players I?ve worked closely with, and I?m proud of the contribution I?ve made.

?I want to personally thank Bevo for his guidance and friendship over our coaching journey, he?s been an amazing mentor, leader and mate to me.

?Coaching is not an easy caper, and I understand it?s not forever. I?m looking forward to spending more time with my family before I assess what?s next for me personally.

?In the meantime, the team has an important few weeks ahead of it leading into the final rounds of the season, and I?m keen to finish off my coaching journey as strongly as possible.?

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The following paragraph was included in the article on the AFL website

Smith was informed earlier this week of the club's decision to make a change to the coaching panel. It remains unclear if the Dogs great will pursue another opportunity for 2024.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

21. Thanks bornadog, Eastdog, MrMahatma thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard a few mixed stories over the last few days regarding Smith, cannot get a straight story from my contacts within the 4 walls of the club, but his departure/firing is already causing some angst/upset staff/players, it has not gone down well and will leave a giant gaping culture hole in our club.

Webb will most certainly be heading back to WA

No word on Spang yet, lead to believe he will be moved back to the original role we recruited him for (Development) if we can find a more experienced replacement.

Board is determined to surrounded Bevo with very seasoned and experienced assistant coaches who come from winning systems, and are willing to go over the softcap to do so (and about time if you ask me).
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016