Thanks Thanks:  315
Likes Likes:  1,111
Page 16 of 90 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Assistant Coaches

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    I've heard a few mixed stories over the last few days regarding Smith, cannot get a straight story from my contacts within the 4 walls of the club, but his departure/firing is already causing some angst/upset staff/players, it has not gone down well and will leave a giant gaping culture hole in our club.

Webb will most certainly be heading back to WA

No word on Spang yet, lead to believe he will be moved back to the original role we recruited him for (Development) if we can find a more experienced replacement.

Board is determined to surrounded Bevo with very seasoned and experienced assistant coaches who come from winning systems, and are willing to go over the softcap to do so (and about time if you ask me).
    Our football department set-up would be at best described as puzzling and Bevo has often mentioned that managing within the constraints of the soft cap has been challenging.
    As an example the annual footy camp was at Rye this year rather than our normal camp in Queensland and the soft cap challenges was the main reason for that decision.
    Another example is losing Chris Maple, who it's believed was pushed out after pushing back with Bevo on some issues, and having his role split between 3 others rather than a genuine and dedicated replacement. This highlights we are looking for creative ways to stay under the soft cap.

It's interesting to hear that the club is keen to surround Bevo with experienced coaches which of course should be the aim but why wouldn't they prioritise the GM of footy role? It's effectively making Beveridge both coach and GM and he has a different reporting line than most other clubs.

Regarding the assistant coaches losing Smith will be felt by the club and there is some questions on Webb and Lade's futures.
    Spangher might be the most likely to stay and I don't believe he is likely to be shuffled into a development role.

We will need to be pro-active in reaching out to assistant coaches and I wonder if King or even someone like Dew might be in the mix.

The bigger question is how our finances are currently spent within the footy department?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Our football department set-up would be at best described as puzzling and Bevo has often mentioned that managing within the constraints of the soft cap has been challenging.
    As an example the annual footy camp was at Rye this year rather than our normal camp in Queensland and the soft cap challenges was the main reason for that decision.
    Another example is losing Chris Maple, who it's believed was pushed out after pushing back with Bevo on some issues, and having his role split between 3 others rather than a genuine and dedicated replacement. This highlights we are looking for creative ways to stay under the soft cap.

It's interesting to hear that the club is keen to surround Bevo with experienced coaches which of course should be the aim but why wouldn't they prioritise the GM of footy role? It's effectively making Beveridge both coach and GM and he has a different reporting line than most other clubs.

Regarding the assistant coaches losing Smith will be felt by the club and there is some questions on Webb and Lade's futures.
    Spangher might be the most likely to stay and I don't believe he is likely to be shuffled into a development role.

We will need to be pro-active in reaching out to assistant coaches and I wonder if King or even someone like Dew might be in the mix.

The bigger question is how our finances are currently spent within the footy department?
    Do other clubs whinge about the soft cap reductions as much as Bevo?

I mean the club making a profit is probably worth mentioning.

Post Thanks / Like

No mention of Chris Grant? He seems to always escape scrutiny
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

5. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Do other clubs whinge about the soft cap reductions as much as Bevo?

I mean the club making a profit is probably worth mentioning.
    A lot of clubs do mention it but it does but it seems a bit more personal for Bevo.

If the AFL eases the cap limits to help retain more assistant coaches I think it would be a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Not from my perspective, he's set-up the footy department and when I asked him why Maple hadn't been replaced he mentioned the soft cap constraints and how the role was split amongst 3 others which meant he was also taking on some additional duties.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    I could live with a refresh.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Not from my perspective, he's set-up the footy department and when I asked him why Maple hadn't been replaced he mentioned the soft cap constraints and how the role was split amongst 3 others which meant he was also taking on some additional duties.
    I have a running word I use when something breaks in my job.

Complex.

These days we are working in a very complex environment.

The Dogs seem to be running the same tactic, using "soft cap" instead.

10. Likes GVGjr, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The players are showing a lot of love for Bubba on socials in the last couple of days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    The players are showing a lot of love for Bubba on socials in the last couple of days.
    As they should, innovative training drills, great communicator and he had genuine care for the playing group.

13. Thanks angelopetraglia thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've defo missed something about Lade. What's he done wrong/not done a year into the role?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I've defo missed something about Lade. What's he done wrong/not done a year into the role?
    I believe there is some speculation that he and Bevo aren't exactly working well together. Guess we shall see if that's true.

16. Thanks kruder thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wish Bubba well. He has been a massive part of our club for such a long time both as a player and assistant coach. Huge as defensive coach for many years and instrumental in our 2016 success.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 11-08-2023 at 04:08 PM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

18. Likes Grantysghost, Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I believe there is some speculation that he and Bevo aren't exactly working well together. Guess we shall see if that's true.
    He's contracted so it wouldn't be that much of a a surprise if he continues on but as Granty has highlighted there is some speculation that it's not quite living up to expectations for him. If another club inquired about his services then we might allow him to explore his options.

I don't think there has been any problems with his performance.

Post Thanks / Like

He's contracted so it wouldn't be that much of a a surprise if he continues on but as Granty has highlighted there is some speculation that it's not quite living up to expectations for him. If another club inquired about his services then we might allow him to explore his options.

I don't think there has been any problems with his performance.
    I don't understand where this information is coming from?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Wish Bubba well. He has been a massive part of our club for such a long time both as a player and assistant coach. Huge as defensive coach for many years and instrumental in our 2016 success.
    I recall him playing and Gary Ablett senior running through the back of him in a marking contest when he was young down at Sedat Park.
    He was a sniper that bloke. I remember my mum, who absolutely loved Rohan being a local boy was nearly going to jump the fence with her brollie!

22. Likes josie, Bulldog4life liked this post