Thanks Thanks:  315
Likes Likes:  1,111
Page 3 of 90 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Assistant Coaches

Have it on very good authority that Matt Sphanger has been signed as an assistant.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

2. Thanks GVGjr, kruder thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Have it on very good authority that Matt Sphanger has been signed as an assistant.
    Jesus Christ (pun intended)
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

So it looks like Spangher and maybe Edge replace King and Hansen. Does it mean Rohan Smith is the senior assistant coach?

I get letting one of the signed coaches going with a year to run on a contract but promoting Hansen to senior assistant and then grant him a leave pass is a bit curious.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    So it looks like Spangher and maybe Edge replace King and Hansen. Does it mean Rohan Smith is the senior assistant coach?

I get letting one of the signed coaches going with a year to run on a contract but promoting Hansen to senior assistant and then grant him a leave pass is a bit curious.
    It's all very uninspiring to me. I wanted an experienced assistant from another club along the lines of Caracella or Yze when appointed by the Dons and Dees.
    It's been an area of concern for me for a while and honestly feel like so far we've gone backwards.

7. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    It's all very uninspiring to me. I wanted an experienced assistant from another club along the lines of Caracella or Yze when appointed by the Dons and Dees.
    It's been an area of concern for me for a while and honestly feel like so far we've gone backwards.
    Posters have said this since Monty left, yet we have made 2 grand finals plus played in two other final series.

No one on this forum that I can remember rated Hansen and King.

I for one wouldn't have a clue how good Smith is or Edge or even Spangher. Hopefully they are what Bevo needs.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Posters have said this since Monty left, yet we have made 2 grand finals plus played in two other final series.

I for one wouldn't have a clue how good Smith is or Edge or even Spangher. Hopefully they are what Bevo needs.
    I think you might have misunderstood that while many were wanting some changes to the coaching ranks and to bring in some IP from other clubs as people specifically not rating King and Hansen and I don't think that is accurate reflection.
    Hansen was particularly impressive while at the Dogs and seeing him in his early years coaching the VFL side was a good insight to his communication and tactical skills.

King was a very low profile for a senior assistant coach and not that impressive when interviewed but we've had a united coaching unit for a long while which means they've all worked together well.

10. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess it's early days because Edge hasn't been appointed yet but we do seem to have an a promote from within philosophy.
    Edge was highly regarded as a development coach around the AFL and a up step from Footscray might be a good thing for us.

I remain positive about Spangher's appointment.

12. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think you might have misunderstood that while many were wanting some changes to the coaching ranks and to bring in some IP from other clubs as people specifically not rating King and Hansen and I don't think that is accurate reflection.
    Hansen was particularly impressive while at the Dogs and seeing him in his early years coaching the VFL side was a good insight to his communication and tactical skills.

King was a very low profile for a senior assistant coach and not that impressive when interviewed but we've had a united coaching unit for a long while which means they've all worked together well.
    Yeah ideas from other clubs Yze under Clarkson, Caracella Hardwick.
    Has Spangher even been coaching? I've got nothing against the guy but I'd have liked a guy with some experience in a successful setup to come in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

It can't be a bad thing to bring in ideas though? It seems common in the industry.
    I think along with recruiting and fitness staff they're all the key pillars of success (good coaches).

You're right re who they're bringing in I have nfi, but to me it appears uninspiring.

Time will tell.

Robert Harvey I wouldn't have minded.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah ideas from other clubs Yze under Clarkson, Caracella Hardwick.
    Has Spangher even been coaching? I've got nothing against the guy but I'd have liked a guy with some experience in a successful setup to come in.
    Well, he played under Clarko…

Post Thanks / Like

Robert Harvey I wouldn't have minded.
    I suspect after his 2021 he'd only move into a senior assistant role with us.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I suspect after his 2021 he'd only move into a senior assistant role with us.
    And I doubt ours has been filled yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Any chance this will be put to bed before pre season starts?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Sam Edmund reporting

MATT Spangher locked in as an assistant coach at the Dogs for next season. Former Hawks cult-hero will take charge of the fwd line after a stint at Collingwood as AFL engagement & VFL ops mgr. He and Bevo were at Hawks together before Spangher worked in London & did Master's.
    and

The Dogs will soon announce their midfield assistant coach for 2022, with Rohan Smith remaining in charge of the backline.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Thanks Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, jeemak, azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bit of a weird one in that he hasn't done any coaching to date?
    W00F!

22. Likes Dry Rot liked this post