Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6
    Post Thanks / Like

Competition for spots

Given our strong performances through the season and a deep playing list invariably there will be plenty of competition for playing spots in the senior line-up.
    Invariably there will be or could be two players locked into a battle for one position.

After reading the guessing games played thread I thought it might be interesting to see which players might be competing for one position even though in reality they can both be played in the senior side.

Laitham Vandermeer vs Lachlan McNeil

Vandermeer played 10 senior games during the season after a bit of wretched luck with an injury that curtailed a lot of the season. I'd regard him as an almost best 22 standard player but he still has a bit to prove. He's got a tonne of pace and really goes hard at the ball. He is also capable of hitting the scoreboard and applying defensive pressure on the opposition defenders.

McNeil had a solid debut season and like VDM he has plenty of pace and some goal kicking abilities.
    I don't think he is in the best 22 but with a fast start to the season and he could force his way in

While clearly they can both be played in the senior team they could very well be pitted against each other for a spot.

I'd be interested in your thoughts if these two players might be pitted against each other for a spot in the forward line?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Competition for spots

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Given our strong performances through the season and a deep playing list invariably there will be plenty of competition for playing spots in the senior line-up.
    Invariably there will be or could be two players locked into a battle for one position.

After reading the guessing games played thread I thought it might be interesting to see which players might be competing for one position even though in reality they can both be played in the senior side.

Laitham Vandermeer vs Lachlan McNeil

Vandermeer played 10 senior games during the season after a bit of wretched luck with an injury that curtailed a lot of the season. I'd regard him as an almost best 22 standard player but he still has a bit to prove. He's got a tonne of pace and really goes hard at the ball. He is also capable of hitting the scoreboard and applying defensive pressure on the opposition defenders.

McNeil had a solid debut season and like VDM he has plenty of pace and some goal kicking abilities.
    I don't think he is in the best 22 but with a fast start to the season and he could force his way in

While clearly they can both be played in the senior team they could very well be pitted against each other for a spot.

I'd be interested in your thoughts if these two players might be pitted against each other for a spot in the forward line?
    Absolutely they are. With Weightman now a lock in the 22, 2-3 key forwards, Hannan pretty much locked in by the MC and a mid or two rotating there's really only room for one of them unless we get hit with the injury stick in the right spot

They play the same roll so unless we see VDM transitioning to the HB role he played before being recruited or a wing or something they must be competing for the one spot

3. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting comparison. I agree they are likely competing for the same spot but are both very different players.

I see McNeil playing closer to goal and VDM playing higher up the ground.

McNeil is a pressure forward and goal sneak. Where I see VDM a more physical, burst type player.

For mine I think there potentially is a spot for both player types, with VDM and JJ competing for one spot.

I think only Naughton and Weightman are the only two forward spots locked in.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

5. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

...and JUH?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    ...and JUH?
    Should be locked in from R1 and play every single game he’s available for.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

8. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    My hope: and Tim English
    My fear: Martin is perennially injury and Sweet drops off again so English plays as the sole ruck rather than forward.

TBH I'm not even sure anyone apart from Duryea in our back 6 is locked in. Does Bailey Dale back up his year last year? Can Keath stay injury free? Truck starts getting wing rotations? Daniel starts bench then gets plugged whereever our ball movement is struggling?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

10. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    ...and JUH?
    He's not at this stage but I have a feeling he will be pretty quickly early on in the season. Keath is a lock potential injury can't be a determining factor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    He's not at this stage but I have a feeling he will be pretty quickly early on in the season. Keath is a lock potential injury can't be a determining factor.
    Keath played 23 games this year. Hopefully stays injury free
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Keath played 23 games this year. Hopefully stays injury free
    He is right on schedule to become one of our best ever picks ups.

14. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He is right on schedule to become one of our best ever picks ups.
    "Never forget"
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

16. Likes The Pie Man, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rhylee West vs Riley Garcia
    West's career hasn't quite progressed like we would have hoped with only 9 senior games since he arrived at the club.
    A natural midfielder he appears to be more or less being groomed to be a high half forward flanker and as a result he might be pitted to compete against Garcia in 2022 to get a senior spot.

Garcia has won over a few admirers this year and from round 11 he was able to play 9 senior games in his breakout season. He see's himself as a high half forward flanker more than a midfielder and it's where the MC has been playing him.

I'm not sure if this is really a direct match-up between the two of them but I can't see us finding a home for both of them in the senior team in 2022. They both need to arrive to preseason training in tip top condition to give themselves their best chance.

18. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post