Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  33
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hird joins GWS

Post Thanks / Like

Hird joins GWS

Meanwhile, our favourite club has a new appointee to handle ethics and sports supplements

Football giant returns to the AFL: Hird joins GWS in leadership role

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/foo...11-p59nj4.html
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

2. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hird joins GWS

They did some market research that suggested they were becoming barely likeable so they nipped it in the bud as quickly as possible.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope Greene is putting him up.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

All the more reason to detest the plastic oranges.

7. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife said he has found his natural place.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm obviously not a fan of his but in a way it would be a shame if he was lost to football.
    It will be interesting to see what this might lead to for him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm obviously not a fan of his but in a way it would be a shame if he was lost to football.
    Disagree. Shouldn't be involved with another football club in a leadership position of any variety

11. Likes EasternWest, Dry Rot, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why though? He's clearly a turd.
    "It's over. It's all over."

13. Likes Bulldog Revolution, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    No question, I just think people can be rehabilitated after a period of time. If he could just admit he was wrong with the approach he implemented it would go a long way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Disagree. Shouldn't be involved with another football club in a leadership position of any variety
    I get that position and perhaps 12 months ago I had the exact some opinion.
    I think my initial position with Steve Smith and Warner changed and I can see the merit in 'controlled' 2nd chances.

Post Thanks / Like

No question, I just think people can be rehabilitated after a period of time. If he could just admit he was wrong with the approach he implemented it would go a long way.
    But if he hasn't and hasn't shown any sign of repentance shouldn't that be the first step to a second chance?

IIRC with the examples of Warner and Smith didn't they at least admit wrongdoing and accept their punishment?

17. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think he's a turd, maybe stubborn to a fault. He put his trust in the wrong people and needed to own that.

I think he can have another crack in footy and have no problem with it... but agree if he hasn't owned his mistakes then that makes it a bit harder. Especially being a leadership consultant... I mean, surely in leadership you have to own your flaws and mistakes?

He's been gone a fair while and had some dark time. I hope he makes good of his new appointment and he can be a productive part of footy again. Never had a problem with him. Great player. Seemed a genuinely smart operator when I heard him speak. I just hope he doesn't help make GWS any good!

Post Thanks / Like

Call me a conspiracy theorist, however, is the Hird appointment just another orchestrated by Morrison designed to distract from his Governments management of COVID?

Who's next?

First it was Djoker, now its Hird, next its ______

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I don't think he's a turd, maybe stubborn to a fault. He put his trust in the wrong people and needed to own that.

I think he can have another crack in footy and have no problem with it... but agree if he hasn't owned his mistakes then that makes it a bit harder. Especially being a leadership consultant... I mean, surely in leadership you have to own your flaws and mistakes?

He's been gone a fair while and had some dark time. I hope he makes good of his new appointment and he can be a productive part of footy again. Never had a problem with him. Great player. Seemed a genuinely smart operator when I heard him speak. I just hope he doesn't help make GWS any good!
    His history with Shane Charter that as glossed over before the supplements saga hit has been strangely overlooked by much of the AFL media.
    Personally, I think he's dodgier and more arrogant than many expect. Conversely, his kids are apparently the most polite and well spoken AFL offspring you could stumble across. Go figure.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

21. Likes jeemak, josie, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    And of all the roles he could take, LEADERSHIP?? It beggars belief to imagine him providing high level advice on that front.

He did everything wrong in a leadership sense. Failures of governance, responsibility, accountability. He revealed himself to be self-entitled and narcissistic. If he returned to footy at all it should be strictly confined to how to mark, handball and kick. Even then, there would be no way I'd want him in any role around our footy club but I guess GWS could be a sort of natural home for him.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

23. Likes josie, EasternWest liked this post