Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  69
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dual premiership Crow refuses COVID-19 vaccination (AFLW)

PREMIERSHIP Crow Deni Varnhagen has told the club she currently does not want to receive a COVID-19 vaccination.

Varnhagen, 28, works as a nurse away from football.

While the Victorian Government required all Victorian AFLW footballers to have received their first vaccination by Friday, October 15 as a condition of their work permits, no such rule has been made by their South Australian counterparts.

However, South Australian healthcare workers need to have their first vaccination by November 1.

"We encourage all players and staff to receive a vaccination," an Adelaide spokesperson told womens.afl.

"We will comply with all rules and regulations set down by both the Government and the AFL."

The AFL’s vaccination policy is currently being finalised and the League said that it would continue to provide education for players and staff across AFL and AFLW programs.

The AFL said it would not disclose the vaccination status of individual players or staff as it respected medical confidentiality.

Varnhagen, an inaugural Crow, has played 31 games across five seasons, including two premierships, having battled knee and quad issues in the past few years.
    https://www.womens.afl/news/74985

Bit of a contrast to our very publicly fully vaccinated AFLM squad.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

2. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dual premiership Crow refuses COVID-19 vaccination (AFLW)

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    https://www.womens.afl/news/74985

Bit of a contrast to our very publicly fully vaccinated AFLM squad.
    Just my opinion but it's a shame that so many aren't prepared to look at the bigger picture and get with the programme.
    The scary part is that she also works as a nurse.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Just my opinion but it's a shame that so many aren't prepared to look at the bigger picture and get with the programme.
    I don’t know why but I know a few nurses who are refusing the vaccine. It’s concerning and I’m assuming these nurses aren’t working in ICU or covid wards.

Post Thanks / Like

That's the part that surprised me the most. Any of my girlfriends who are nurses/in allied health were first out of the blocks to get jabbed and were then flat out nagging their partners.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

You'd want nurses to be on board with medical science. Guess it's just a paycheck for some people (but geez there must be easier ways to get a paycheck)

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair, she's probably done her own research............

And this is where it gets tricky, people think that because they understand some elements of medical science they understand others sufficiently to contradict what experts in a particular field might put out there.

See Zach Bush as an example of how dangerous this type of thinking can be.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

8. Likes EasternWest, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

And this is where it gets tricky, people think that because they understand some elements of medical science they understand others sufficiently to contradict what experts in a particular field might put out there.

See Zach Bush as an example of how dangerous this type of thinking can be.
    It's not like she hasn't got access to the right people so she can make an informed decision so hopefully this is her assessment based on medical advice not what she has read on facebook.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not like she hasn't got access to the right people so she can make an informed decision so hopefully this is her assessment based on medical advice not what she has read on facebook.
    Medical advice would have said get vaccinated. There is almost no reason for a medical exemption according to medical experts.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Medical advice would have said get vaccinated. There is almost no reason for a medical exemption according to medical experts.
    Based on feedback from some people I know, their parents said their Doctors weren't convinced on the Vaccinations effectiveness so on that advice they haven't had their first dose. They need to speak to other Doctors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Hoo boy, am I sick of those people.

We had this lovely pair of ladies that were our neighbours and I adored spending time with them. It was like being with two Nannas at once, but the good kind of Nanna. I used to say to my partner that after spending time with them I felt like I'd had my soul filled up.

Anyway, we moved (not far away, but not a few houses any more) and see less of them now. One of them is a former nurse and you can imagine my dismay when she rolled out all the usual conspiracy theorist tropes when the pandemic topic came up. It actually broke my heart a bit.

Anyway, sorry for the wandering vignette but why are the "do some research" crowd so disbelieving when the research you've done (ya know, the readily available via Google, clinically backed stuff) is presented to them?

Have I not "done some research"?
    "It's over. It's all over."

13. Likes Grantysghost, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe she does (or used to....) work in ICU as well. But apparently her Mother is into natural therapy...

She will be unemployed from her job and finished as an AFLW footballer in a few weeks if she doesnt get jabbed

What a goose.

15. Likes EasternWest, Max469, chef, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Hoo boy, am I sick of those people.

We had this lovely pair of ladies that were our neighbours and I adored spending time with them. It was like being with two Nannas at once, but the good kind of Nanna. I used to say to my partner that after spending time with them I felt like I'd had my soul filled up.

Anyway, we moved (not far away, but not a few houses any more) and see less of them now. One of them is a former nurse and you can imagine my dismay when she rolled out all the usual conspiracy theorist tropes when the pandemic topic came up. It actually broke my heart a bit.

Anyway, sorry for the wandering vignette but why are the "do some research" crowd so disbelieving when the research you've done (ya know, the readily available via Google, clinically backed stuff) is presented to them?

Have I not "done some research"?
    I've worked with Scientists supporting them for over 20 years, these guys aren't driving Mercedes and BMWs.

Question big pharma yes I get that, money and power is a great motivator for many; I can assure you though from my experience nearly all do the research because they care.

Google scholar, peer reviewed studies. You can't go wrong.

Edit : And avoid anything Murdoch, the brain washing is real.

17. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    I believe she does (or used to....) work in ICU as well. But apparently her Mother is into natural therapy...

She will be unemployed from her job and finished as an AFLW footballer in a few weeks if she doesnt get jabbed

What a goose.
    Yes. This, at least among nurses, seems to be a primary reason to not get the vaccine. They believe in all natural medicine. Only natural things should go in the body. I understand this perspective. The less manufactured/altered stuff you put in your body the better. But I’m also aware this strategy isn’t practical. Modern medicine has changed the world and cured diseases. I’d also bet my life savings that these people aren’t strict with this rule and they pick and choose when to use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Yes. This, at least among nurses, seems to be a primary reason to not get the vaccine. They believe in all natural medicine. Only natural things should go in the body. I understand this perspective. The less manufactured/altered stuff you put in your body the better. But I’m also aware this strategy isn’t practical. Modern medicine has changed the world and cured diseases. I’d also bet my life savings that these people aren’t strict with this rule and they pick and choose when to use it.
    Like alcohol.

20. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree. Not a great headline for the AFL.