Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  69
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dual premiership Crow refuses COVID-19 vaccination (AFLW)

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Understand that not all of those with a contrary opinion are idiots and or are bad people.

Some do it for reasons that to them are valid.

My position is the same as yours, however the era of outrage is really devisive, there seems to be little in between nowadays.

Damn Zuckerberg!

The Oliver clip is more around conspiracy theories in general.
    Fair enough mate.
    "It's over. It's all over."

2. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive also heard of those simply waiting it out until we hit 80% double dosed. They’re effectively wanting to freeload on the back of everyone else getting jabbed and hope that herd immunity will take place. There needs to be repercussions for these people.
    Last edited by bulldogsthru&thru; 19-10-2021 at 01:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Ive also heard of those simply waiting it out until we hit 80% double dosed. They’re effectively wanting to freeload on the back of everyone else getting jabbed and hope that heard immunity will take place. There needs to be repercussions for these people.
    It's getting covid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Yes. This, at least among nurses, seems to be a primary reason to not get the vaccine. They believe in all natural medicine. Only natural things should go in the body. I understand this perspective. The less manufactured/altered stuff you put in your body the better. But I’m also aware this strategy isn’t practical. Modern medicine has changed the world and cured diseases. I’d also bet my life savings that these people aren’t strict with this rule and they pick and choose when to use it.

allegedly she has some tattoos as well...i guess she accepted whatever gunk was chucked in her body when that was done ok..

6. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Understand what though?

I have plenty of empathy for a lot of reasons.

I have zero empathy for anyone tinfoiling about a safe, effective, clinically tested vaccine that is currently the key to getting our lives back. Zero. Nil. Zilch.
    Have it your way dude.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Have it your way dude.

To an extent I agree that most of these people are just victims of misinformation. And for that we should have some empathy for some people. But it's very limited at this point.

Post Thanks / Like

Have it your way dude.
    I don't understand this passive aggressive response, Jee. You're implying I don't have empathy for people, but empathy and lack of tolerance for conspiracy theorists are two different things.

Frankly, I'm amazed that all rational people don't feel the same way.

I'd be interested in what you think I meant that I wasn't clear on.

Post Thanks / Like

Legitimate question ... when you google long term effects of Covid vaccine, there is zero articles. There is plenty of information on the short term effects (flu-like symptoms etc) but nothing long term. Now, I know there hasn't been enough time for there to be long term data, but aren't all the vaccine choices based on other vaccination bases just with different protein spikes?

I'm double dosed, this is not about me ... but I don't know who to ask about my kids getting the shots. When I spoke with my doc, he said its completely safe, don't stress. I'm not an anti-vaxxer but I have no idea where to find info. I would love some WOOF suggestions on who to speak with or articles to read debunking any long-term effects
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I don't understand this passive aggressive response, Jee. You're implying I don't have empathy for people, but empathy and lack of tolerance for conspiracy theorists are two different things.

Frankly, I'm amazed that all rational people don't feel the same way.

I'd be interested in what you think I meant that I wasn't clear on.
    It's not meant to be passive aggressive, but like the Cowboy out of TBL (when asks the dude whether he has to use some many cuss words) I don't really mind, and am happy to differ a bit here and not let it worry me too much. Sorry if it came off otherwise, I can see how it did.

Sure, there's willfully ignorant people, ignorant people, some selfish people and a bit in between all of those positions and apart from the first lot there's usually reasons why people are the way they are and it's not just inherent personality flaws that make them so.

There's people out there who don't trust government, believe in natural remedies and don't trust science in the same way I do because they've been brought up that way, have spent their entire lives surrounded by people who think the same way as they do, and haven't been exposed to what you and I might consider to be rational thought. To some extent you can argue that these people should/ could have done more to get diverse exposure, but that's more easily said than done.

Then you get the folks who haven't been able to put food on the table because their social contract with those they perceive to be running society has been broken. They're out of work, have limited ability to change their situation, and nothing but time on their hands to watch videos about how the government (that has failed to support them is now telling them they need to chip in and get the jab so everyone can be looked after) shouldn't be trusted. So yeah, I don't agree with them, but I can understand and have empathy as to why they might think that participation on the terms prescribed shafted them in the past and from their point of view is probably going to shaft them again.

To me the lizard people, flat-earthers and 5G (or whatever) people are in their own category, and I think we agree on that. They're not the people I'm referring to above.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

12. Likes EasternWest, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Legitimate question ... when you google long term effects of Covid vaccine, there is zero articles. There is plenty of information on the short term effects (flu-like symptoms etc) but nothing long term. Now, I know there hasn't been enough time for there to be long term data, but aren't all the vaccine choices based on other vaccination bases just with different protein spikes?

I'm double dosed, this is not about me ... but I don't know who to ask about my kids getting the shots. When I spoke with my doc, he said its completely safe, don't stress. I'm not an anti-vaxxer but I have no idea where to find info. I would love some WOOF suggestions on who to speak with or articles to read debunking any long-term effects
    Not having listened to it myself Scraggers, Royal Children's Hospital (RCH) has a podcast available on Spotify called Kids Health Info. They have a brief ep they released on Friday about the latest in COVID-19 in children, and they did a longer one (42min) on Children and Covid-19 vaccines in August.

Also, Triple R community radio in Melbourne has a program every Sunday that it hosted by doctors talking all things health related called Radiotherapy. On 3/10, they spoke to Professor Fiona Russell (Paediatrician, Epidemiologist and Vaccinationologist at Uni Melb) about the impact of children returning to school after COVID restrictions, but also touched on vaccination. Unrelated, but in that same ep, they discuss concussion in community sport which I found really interesting. You can listen to the eps on rrr.org.au using their On-Demand feature.

I would just like to add that I am in no way affiliated with the RCH - I've just made a few stops to their emergency department as a parent!
    Last edited by Daughter of the West; 19-10-2021 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Added more info
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

14. Thanks GVGjr, The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    Not having listened to it myself Scraggers, Royal Children's Hospital (RCH) has a podcast available on Spotify called Kids Health Info. They have a brief ep they released on Friday about the latest in COVID-19 in children, and they did a longer one (42min) on Children and Covid-19 vaccines in August.

Also, Triple R community radio in Melbourne has a program every Sunday that it hosted by doctors talking all things health related called Radiotherapy. On 3/10, they spoke to Professor Fiona Russell (Paediatrician, Epidemiologist and Vaccinationologist at Uni Melb) about the impact of children returning to school after COVID restrictions, but also touched on vaccination. Unrelated, but in that same ep, they discuss concussion in community sport which I found really interesting. You can listen to the eps on rrr.org.au using their On-Demand feature.

I would just like to add that I am in no way affiliated with the RCH - I've just made a few stops to their emergency department as a parent!
    Thank you
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

It's not meant to be passive aggressive, but like the Cowboy out of TBL (when asks the dude whether he has to use some many cuss words) I don't really mind, and am happy to differ a bit here and not let it worry me too much. Sorry if it came off otherwise, I can see how it did.

Sure, there's willfully ignorant people, ignorant people, some selfish people and a bit in between all of those positions and apart from the first lot there's usually reasons why people are the way they are and it's not just inherent personality flaws that make them so.

There's people out there who don't trust government, believe in natural remedies and don't trust science in the same way I do because they've been brought up that way, have spent their entire lives surrounded by people who think the same way as they do, and haven't been exposed to what you and I might consider to be rational thought. To some extent you can argue that these people should/ could have done more to get diverse exposure, but that's more easily said than done.

Then you get the folks who haven't been able to put food on the table because their social contract with those they perceive to be running society has been broken. They're out of work, have limited ability to change their situation, and nothing but time on their hands to watch videos about how the government (that has failed to support them is now telling them they need to chip in and get the jab so everyone can be looked after) shouldn't be trusted. So yeah, I don't agree with them, but I can understand and have empathy as to why they might think that participation on the terms prescribed shafted them in the past and from their point of view is probably going to shaft them again.

To me the lizard people, flat-earthers and 5G (or whatever) people are in their own category, and I think we agree on that. They're not the people I'm referring to above.
    Cheers I agree with all of that. A bit disappointed with that though I was keen for some Yarraville nets action.

17. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post

Also:

https://www.health.gov.au/resources/...nguage-english

as for Children:

Long COVID and kids: scientists race to find answers
    Children get long COVID too, but researchers are still working to determine how frequently and how severely.

article here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

There's people out there who don't trust government.
    Why would anybody? All govts on all side of politics and all around the world have not stopped lying in relation to this issue from day 1 (actually they don't stop lying as part of their everyday function). And their lies have been ably abetted and enabled by big business, mainstream media and social media (none of these 3 groups have suffered any financial loss during the pandemic, quite the opposite in fact) in relation to controlling the narrative and messaging. Politicians are politicians precisely because they are talentles, lying grifters who literally only have one skill, that is to spend (almost always wastefully) other people's hard-earned money.

Another person's health and vax status was none of my business for the first 48 years of my life, it has remained none of my business in the last 18 months, and will continue to remain none of my business in the future. Politicians, being the shameless grifters that they are, have been successful in pitting society into warring tribes to cover for their own collective incompetence in managing all elements of this issue. It has been politicians, and nobody else, who have made the decisions to lockdown and rob people of their dignity and ability to earn a living and spend time with loved ones. Despite their best efforts to deflect, I will not play their game - they own it 100%

Specifically in relation to the AFLW player, aside from the fact that it is none of my business, I'm not about to offer advice to a registered nurse who has worked in ICU on which medicine she should or shouldn't ingest, when I work in marketing and sales. She is free to make her own mind up. Also I can't really see anything particularly controversial with Tom McDonald's comments. At such high vax take-up rates, the mandatory edicts are simply not necessary other than in the very short term, but it certainly allows politicians to ensure we are fighting amongst ourselves instead of pointing the finger of blame at their direction for their (almost always) errant and disastrous policy decisions.

As an aside, the whole left v right political discussion is weird to me. They are clearly all fundamentally awful people who do not care about anything other than holding onto power and enjoying enormous salaries without having any accountability measurements and targets that those of us in the private sector have on a daily basis (other than once every 3-4 year at the ballot box). Each to their own I guess - if blindly flowing one group of liars over another is your thing, go for it.
    Last edited by Sedat; 19-10-2021 at 10:39 PM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

20. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    When seats belts became mandatory in the 70s lots of people carried on about freedom and forcing them to be safe. The safety was not just for the driver, but the safety of their passengers.
    I remember the time well. People saying that drivers and passengers would be trapped inside cars during accidents and be burned to death or that being thrown from the vehicle would be safer and that wearing a seatbelt would prevent that happening.

Then there was the "but I drive better drunk" cohort during the introduction of roadside breathtesting for .05.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

22. Likes bornadog liked this post