Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  69
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dual premiership Crow refuses COVID-19 vaccination (AFLW)

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Based on feedback from some people I know, their parents said their Doctors weren't convinced on the Vaccinations effectiveness so on that advice they haven't had their first dose. They need to speak to other Doctors.
    Skeptical on this. Not on whether they told you this but I think something must be lost somewhere in translation.

GPs should be telling you if the vaccine is safe for you eg any existing conditions that can cause complications. I don't believe they're the experts when it comes to the effectiveness of these vaccines. They can have opinions, most likely more informed than most of us, but it's pretty clear the vaccines are effective.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Like alcohol.
    Yep. Amongst a whole heap of other things that they’d either ignore their beliefs with or just flat out not even question what’s in it.

And then there’s how things might change if they found themselves in a life threatening situation. Their opinion on medicine might change then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    I believe she does (or used to....) work in ICU as well. But apparently her Mother is into natural therapy...

She will be unemployed from her job and finished as an AFLW footballer in a few weeks if she doesnt get jabbed

What a goose.
    Watched the Caulfield Cup on Saturday and after the race the trainer was thanking staff etc and mentioned including the three I had to let go because they refused to be vaccinated.

All well and good to get on your high moral ground, but you will be unemployed and locked out of many places.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Red pilled, right wing, MRA dickhead. He was always going to be "one of those" as well.

I saw part of the interview only so stand to be corrected, but he didn't mentioned that he wasn't vaccinated. Surprised that a guy with such an objection would be like the rest of the sheeple. Wonder why?

Where Happy Days anyway? His takes are always way funnier than mine.
    "It's over. It's all over."

6. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Red pilled, right wing, MRA dickhead. He was always going to be "one of those" as well.

I saw part of the interview only so stand to be corrected, but he didn't mentioned that he wasn't vaccinated. Surprised that a guy with such an objection would be like the rest of the sheeple. Wonder why?

Where Happy Days anyway? His takes are always way funnier than mine.
    Article quoted him saying he was vaccinated

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Article quoted him saying he was vaccinated
    Yes he was more objecting to the mandatory nature.

It's a interesting one, I'm torn regarding forcing people to do things and not all people that object are your typical "anti vaxxer" types, more pro the tenets of a liberal democracy.
    There's also those who have been fed misinformation and are driven by fear.

There's a great John Oliver segment on conspiracy theories that I encourage everyone to watch.

https://youtu.be/0b_eHBZLM6U

It's not a tough one for me, it's about protecting our most vulnerable and that's the kind of society I want to be part of (and the reason I got vaxxed asap).

Re covid though it's such a rare event it's the only option, the fear for many being it opens the door to an erosion of freedoms which personally I don't believe to be true.

And if you're pro choice, well there is an open labour market so you can choose a different profession.

One of the Tigers AFLW players has tested positive so really if you want to run the competition without interruption they need to be vaccinated.

Also every time I see a picture from the GF* I feel crook. I need to find a Pies fan to ask how long this lasts.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 19-10-2021 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Added Oliver clip

9. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's vaccinated, but only expects mandatory vaccination for some because it's only right for it be mandatory for some but not for everyone else.

See the logic? Even though AFL players operate in an environment off the field that is highly susceptible to spreading the virus and then spreading it to the community, only frontline health workers should be forced to be vaccinated or have a "medical procedure".

Be careful GG, people aren't liking the appropriation of "pro-choice" to describe people who believe in being able to choose whether to be vaccinated. And certainly don't start using the word "segregation" to describe the exclusion of those who aren't!

I'm a bit the same in that I feel uneasy about forcing people to get the jab, and can see it from both sides. But if it's permission to play it's permission to play. If you don't like it don't play, and in the meantime protest peacefully and lobby your local member for a change to the rules.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

11. Likes Grantysghost, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

, the fear for many being it opens the door to an erosion of freedoms which personally I don't believe to be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'm a bit the same in that I feel uneasy about forcing people to get the jab, and can see it from both sides. But if it's permission to play it's permission to play. If you don't like it don't play, and in the meantime protest peacefully and lobby your local member for a change to the rules.
    When seats belts became mandatory in the 70s lots of people carried on about freedom and forcing them to be safe. The safety was not just for the driver, but the safety of their passengers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    When seats belts became mandatory in the 70s lots of people carried on about freedom and forcing them to be safe. The safety was not just for the driver, but the safety of their passengers.
    I guess what I'm saying is that I can understand have empathy for people and their POV without agreeing with them. Something in society that is sadly lacking and a major reason nothing really ever gets done.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess what I'm saying is that I can understand have empathy for people and their POV without agreeing with them. Something in society that is sadly lacking and a major reason nothing really ever gets done.
    No Probs.

My empathy has gone out the door, and I don't actually care. Is that BAD Maybe I have been in lockdown too long

15. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That John Oliver clip I posted says exactly that. Try and understand and it makes it easier to educate.

Clearly not going to work for all, but it will for some and that's a good start.

Post Thanks / Like

That John Oliver clip I posted says exactly that. Try and understand and it makes it easier to educate.

Clearly not going to work for all, but it will for some and that's a good start.
    Understand what though?

I have plenty of empathy for a lot of reasons.

I have zero empathy for anyone tinfoiling about a safe, effective, clinically tested vaccine that is currently the key to getting our lives back. Zero. Nil. Zilch.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

We live in a society that only works because we agree to participate, and give up some of our freedoms.

Don't want to get a driver's license.. okay don't.. But you can't drive a car. And if you do drive unlicensed there are penalties.
    Don't want to get insurance... okay don't... but if you hit someone's car, you can be sued.
    Don't want to wear a seatbelt... sure... but again there are penalties if you're caught.
    Want to coach your kids football team, great. Get a Bluecard.. Don't want to?? Then you can't participate.

Don't want to get vaccinated against COVID.. Okay don't.. but you will have to live with restrictions, and or penalties for not doing so. And in some instances those penalties might mean you can't work in a specific industry. eg nurse, police etc..

I'm not for a harsh mandatory vaccine, but am all for their being strong restrictions, discomforts and penalties if failure to get vaccinated puts others at risk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Understand what though?

I have plenty of empathy for a lot of reasons.

I have zero empathy for anyone tinfoiling about a safe, effective, clinically tested vaccine that is currently the key to getting our lives back. Zero. Nil. Zilch.
    Understand that not all of those with a contrary opinion are idiots and or are bad people.

Some do it for reasons that to them are valid.

My position is the same as yours, however the era of outrage is really devisive, there seems to be little in between nowadays.

Damn Zuckerberg!

The Oliver clip is more around conspiracy theories in general.

20. Likes EasternWest liked this post