Delistings/Retirements/Trades

Ben Cavarra (del)
    Will Hayes (del)
    Lin Jong (ret)
    Patrick Lipinski (trd)
    Lewis Young (trd)

Who else should have been on that list?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Have we cut deep enough this year?

I think everyone else is worthy of being on the list, although there are a few guys on the edge:

Wallis, if we don't play him I don't see what we've achieved by retaining him that a coaching/Footscray contract wouldn't. He is Mitch Wallis though so content with keeping him.

Khamis, has looked worthy of selection for maybe 3 weeks in his time at the club and even then we only played him for half a game. Gets the benefit of the doubt due to the lost VFL years but he'd want to make some steps forward next year.

Crozier, would be a harsh cut but gave us nothing this year and his position in defence appeared redundant before O'Briens arrival. Not sure what his path back in is if he can't start taking ridiculous intercept marks again.

Wood, see Crozier except he was mostly worthy of selection and had a good finals series until the big one. A bit like Wallis deserves the extra chance but is no longer best 22 and I'm not sure he's someone you carry if you aren't gonna play him.

Butler, I expect his name to come up but I think we've shown we are keen to play him. Both seasons on our list he has seemed to get opportunities ahead of others which is positive. I'm not really sure what he becomes but I am not surprised we have retained him.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

3. Likes jeemak, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if we are a bit challenged with our salary cap and therefore we are only wanting to let go of out of contracted players?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think we're about right, given how challenged we were for depth this year and the fact we have Toby and Brucey out with ACLs to start the year.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think we're about right, given how challenged we were for depth this year and the fact we have Toby and Brucey out with ACLs to start the year.
    How we manage this will be critical.

Post Thanks / Like

Right calls made for me. Wally keeping pressure on Cody, Vanders, Hannan etc will be key. No one will wan to drop their guard.

Post Thanks / Like

You have to remember we have Sam Darcy and that's it below about pick 50, and we are contending so it will be hard for draftees to get a game. There will be a rebuild in 3-5 years though as we only have about 5 best 22 players from the last 5 drafts and won't be hitting the draft hard the next few years either
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    You have to remember we have Sam Darcy and that's it below about pick 50, and we are contending so it will be hard for draftees to get a game. There will be a rebuild in 3-5 years though as we only have about 5 best 22 players from the last 5 drafts and won't be hitting the draft hard the next few years either
    It will be interesting to see what we do next year, as I think we will have a bit more flexibility due to not having to land top five talent and burning all our picks to do so.

Post Thanks / Like

Will we be able to take a Supplemental player to replace Bruce on the list at the start of the year? Would that then rule Bruce out for the entire season? Or would it only rule him out until there was another season ending injury/retirement, then the supplemental player can be 'moved' across to that spot?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Will we be able to take a Supplemental player to replace Bruce on the list at the start of the year? Would that then rule Bruce out for the entire season? Or would it only rule him out until there was another season ending injury/retirement, then the supplemental player can be 'moved' across to that spot?
    Isn't it just a matter of being able to have rookies available to cover he and Toby? I have no idea anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I'm not sure of the exact rule but it wouldn't rule Bruce or Mclean out when they're fit to play.

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to see what we do next year, as I think we will have a bit more flexibility due to not having to land top five talent and burning all our picks to do so.
    Another variable next year, and perhaps why Power was keen to protect next year's 1st is potential Father Son pick Mitchell Croft who is draft eligible in 2022. I've not heard how high up he is on recruiting radar... but I think he's another KPF.

Anyone have any intel on him? Guess it would be hard at this stage given the impact of COVID on jnr footy.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure who else we could have cut. Wally will cost next to nothing and will be worth more from a moralistic piont of view. He will encourage, develop and ensure our brand and culture remains strong. The most important cut we've made in my opinion was the forced change in the coaches box. I think we needed a refresh there and losing King and Hansen at the same time does create an uncertain vacuum but it also provides opportunity for fresh ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

We cannot go to next years draft with only one pick.

We need to aim for multiple first or second round picks to make up for missing out this draft.

Our list management in 5-6 years will be cactus if we don’t.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

16. Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    We cannot go to next years draft with only one pick.

We need to aim for multiple first or second round picks to make up for missing out this draft.

Our list management in 5-6 years will be cactus if we don’t.
    Agree. We need to blood some new younger players to ensure we have many years of success.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.