Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  75
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Fixture 2022

Post Thanks / Like

Fixture 2022

A bit of talk Melbourne has requested to play the Dogs in the opening round.

Personally I’d prefer we continue to push for our game to be against Collingwood and build that tradition.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...20-p591o4.html
    More of an In Bruges guy?

2. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fixture 2022

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    A bit of talk Melbourne has requested to play the Dogs in the opening round.

Personally I’d prefer we continue to push for our game to be against Collingwood and build that tradition.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...20-p591o4.html
    Yep, me too. Why is it Melbourne seem to get the say in this. It's not all about Melbourne. Surely we're building a Rnd 1 tradition with the Pies and we''d have a voice too?

Post Thanks / Like

If it goes ahead, I will get there the last minute as I don't want to watch the flag being unfurled.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

100% prefer the pies. Let’s keep building that tradition. Although I am curious to see if the AFL will add a * to the premiership banner.

On another note, can the afl just stop with Richmond and Carlton opening the season? What the hell is this? It’s based on nothing and as each year passes the launch of the season becomes duller and duller.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of the Grand Finalists kicking us off. Honestly anything that stops the blight on the game that is the annual Richmond and Carlton "Blockbuster" would be better.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Richmond didn't do a rematch when they won theirs right because of the 'traditional' game vs Carlton?

Let us keep building our own 'tradition' and do the rematch round 2 or something. Let them travel to Perth round 1

8. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just want the Richmond Carlton game to piss off.

Even something where it was winner stays on and the challenger was always the minor premier or something so that there was always a good side.

So Richmond beat Carlton in 2021, meaning Richmond stay on and play the minor Premier; Melbourne. The winner of that plays the next minor premier and so on and so on. It gives every club a go at it, means it should always be a pretty high standard with both teams typically having been minor premiers in the last 3 years, and means that even when the little clubs "earn" their chance at it at least they are good, cause my original proposal had every in the queue and this version is much easier to sell than Carlton vs Gold Coast after neither made the finals.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    I just want the Richmond Carlton game to piss off.

Even something where it was winner stays on and the challenger was always the minor premier or something so that there was always a good side.

So Richmond beat Carlton in 2021, meaning Richmond stay on and play the minor Premier; Melbourne. The winner of that plays the next minor premier and so on and so on. It gives every club a go at it, means it should always be a pretty high standard with both teams typically having been minor premiers in the last 3 years, and means that even when the little clubs "earn" their chance at it at least they are good, cause my original proposal had every in the queue and this version is much easier to sell than Carlton vs Gold Coast after neither made the finals.
    But you then miss out on the Blues being talked up mid-second quarter by all and sundry only to have their pantaloons pulled down thoroughly.

I would like us to continue building something with Collingwood, but much like the Tigers vs. Blues game it's not really based on anything.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a problem with it. Bring them on
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    But you then miss out on the Blues being talked up mid-second quarter by all and sundry only to have their pantaloons pulled down thoroughly.

I would like us to continue building something with Collingwood, but much like the Tigers vs. Blues game it's not really based on anything.
    It’s not based on anything but we’re not asking for it to be the opening game of the season each year. Frankly I don’t really care who we play. I just don’t want the Sunday twilight spot which applies all season anyway. If the AFL are hell bent on Richmond v Carlton rd 1 then fine. Who cares. But why does it have to open the season each and every year? It’s so friggin stupid and boring. I’d rather watch gws v Gold Coast this season just for something different.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want it because they do.

Jog on ya arrogant knobs!

Post Thanks / Like

Bontempelli backs bid to open new season with grand final rematch against Demons

Western Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli says it would be fitting for supporters if the Dogs and Melbourne met in round one next year, in a season he hopes Jamarra Ugle-Hagan can be the X-factor in the club’s bid to rewrite recent history.

The Demons have requested a blockbuster grand final replay against the Bulldogs to start the 2022 campaign, coming after Melbourne’s sixth lockdown forced the sport’s showcase event this year to be held in Perth.

Having broken a 57-year premiership drought, the Demons want their season opener to be staged at the MCG in a Friday night primetime slot, a day after Carlton and Richmond meet.

Bontempelli said there was strong merit in rewarding Bulldogs and Demons supporters with a marquee opener.

“You are always happy to play in good games, big games, especially for the people who have missed out, unfortunately, on seeing so much of the football over the last two seasons,” Bontempelli told The Age, while promoting his first picture book, Little Bont and the Big Secret.

“I definitely wouldn’t be against playing in another big game at the ’G. Obviously, the Melbourne fans and supporters, they have definitely earned the right to try and celebrate what they have achieved, which is another drought-breaking sort of premiership.”

Ugle-Hagan, the No.1 pick in last year’s national draft, was eased through his rookie season, managing five straight matches and booting seven goals before he was dropped after the round 21 clash against Essendon.

He showed glimpses of the star the Bulldogs hope he can be but coach Luke Beveridge said early in the finals campaign that Ugle-Hagan was unlikely to play again because of his relatively slender frame.

As the Bulldogs begin plotting redemption for their stinging grand-final loss, Bontempelli said Ugle-Hagan was one player he hopes can take the next step after a strong pre-season.

“Everyone is going to develop at different rates, depending on their exposure. Jamarra, even these kids again [this year], have had [pandemic-impacted] interruptions with their final year before getting drafted. There is no telling what sort of impact that had on him and will have on others,” Bontempelli said.

“He just needs time, like every young player does, to continue to grow and develop and hone their craft. He is in a position that, obviously, is difficult to come in and completely dominate straight away with the maturity of some of the defences around the league.”

The Bulldogs almost certainly will have another young tall on their list next season for they are expected to take father-son Sam Darcy in next month’s national draft. Darcy, who will be a rare third-generation player for his club, is rated as a top-three selection, and will provide athleticism and mobility. He may also be eased into the system by the shrewd Bulldogs coaching crew.

“It was funny, from one pre-season to next, it felt like he went from, obviously, a young footballer to all of a sudden this really tall sort of figure who looks like a super talent,” Bontempelli said.

Their determination appeared set to deliver the ultimate success when they led by 19 points in the third term of the grand final, when Bontempelli snapped a wonderful goal across his body, his third of the night, but the Dogs watched almost helplessly as the Demons booted seven goals straight, capping a 43-point turnaround in 16 minutes, and then went on to win the game.

Bontempelli, a 2016 premiership player and now a four-time club best and fairest and All-Australian, said the defeat had initially left him “empty” and unfulfilled. He said he still felt like he “hadn’t quite got everything” he wanted from the season.

The Bulldogs have not yet re-lived that third term as a group, but Bontempelli said it was likely to be discussed when the senior players returned for pre-season training in December. However, he said it was important the Bulldogs did not “over process” the Demons’ rally.

The Dogs will need to defy recent history next year, for the last time a losing grand finalist reappeared on the biggest stage the following season was Hawthorn in 2013. It had been a common occurrence in the previous decade.

In the meantime, Bontempelli is focusing on another project close to his heart. He has helped pen a children’s book with co-author Fiona Harris, dedicated to the memory of his beloved nanna, Nancy, who was a major influence on him.

“It’s such a cool and special thing to be a part of … it’s a nice thing to be able to remember her and pass something on to friends and family and, obviously, my kids and my sisters,” Bontempelli said.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I want our players to play as many games on the big stage and against the best teams.

It's the best way to prepare them for the next flag
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

17. Likes josie, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Bontempelli told The Age, while promoting his first picture book, Little Bont and the Big Secret.
    Well there is a Christmas present for my young bloke sorted.

19. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I want our players to play as many games on the big stage and against the best teams.

It's the best way to prepare them for the next flag
    They just want us to watch them unfurl it.

Nevah!