Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  75
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Fixture 2022

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fixture 2022

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I want our players to play as many games on the big stage and against the best teams.

It's the best way to prepare them for the next flag
    It will also be a big game against the Colliwobbles. We don't want to lose that opener.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't care who we play. Our glaring weakness in the GF was a small period of ruck dominance and we've addressed that by trading in an experienced ruckman so we'll beat whomever we play.
    "It's over. It's all over."

3. Thanks chef, GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes soupman, Grantysghost, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I don't care who we play. Our glaring weakness in the GF was a small period of ruck dominance and we've addressed that by trading in an experienced ruckman so we'll beat whomever we play.
    Maybe Stephen King left because we asked him to come out of retirement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Maybe Stephen King left because we asked him to come out of retirement.
    If it’s good enough for Shane Mumford it’s good enough for King.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

AFL considers change to traditional season opener for 2022

The AFL is strongly considering launching the 2022 season with a blockbuster Wednesday night clash in a break from fixture tradition.

Sources have confirmed the league is weighing up scheduling a grand final rematch between Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs or the regular season-opener between Carlton and Richmond on a Wednesday night instead of the traditional Thursday night slot.

While a final decision has not yet been made, there is support to bring forward the first game of the men’s season by 24 hours to help kick-start the season with a bang at a packed-out MCG.

Playing the men’s season-opener on a Wednesday night would allow the AFL to schedule three standalone blockbuster night matches in a row on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights in Round 1.

The league wants to celebrate the return of AFL in Victoria with the three marquee matches after shipping huge chunks of the past two seasons – including the premiership deciders – interstate due to the Covid crisis.

The trio of standalone night matches would be expected to attract blockbuster television ratings and bumper attendances off the back of two hugely-interrupted seasons, especially in Victoria.

Victorian fans have been starved of live action over the past two years but the league is eager to fill the MCG and Marvel Stadium for the first few games of the season.

In particular, there will be considerable intrigue when the two grand finalists and 2022 flag fancies lock horns after a Perth nightclub exchange in the hours after Melbourne’s premiership win.

The Demons want to unfurl their premiership flag in front of a capacity MCG crowd after winning a drought-breaking premiership by 74 points over the Dogs in Perth.

The league has backed in Richmond and Carlton to open the season since 2007, drawing massive crowds, but that honour could be handed to the Demons and Dogs who missed out on playing the decider at the MCG this year. A decision is expected to be made this week.

There have been only 30 games played at the MCG in front of crowds since the start of the pandemic in March 2020, and none since Collingwood upset Richmond in Round 17 this year.

The Sydney Swans will also demand a big stage in Round 1 at the SCG as champion forward Lance Franklin attempts to become only the sixth man to kick 1000 goals.

Franklin is five short of the magical milestone and will command a considerable spotlight in the build-up to the Swans’ first game of the season.

He will join greats Tony Lockett (1360 goals), Gordon Coventry (1299), Jason Dunstall (1254), Doug Wade (1057) and Gary Ablett (1034).

The first part of the AFL fixture is expected to be announced within the next fortnight with strong hopes the 2022 season can run more smoothly without more lockdowns and empty stadiums.

On Thursday, the league will release the 2022 AFLW fixture which will begin on Friday night, January 7.

Post Thanks / Like

All will be revealed very soon.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

If we play Melbourne Rd 1 as their home game I'll spew up and send an email!

Who was starting that letter? I'll be on board for this.

Seriously would make me sick.

It's never happened before having the GF teams play each other Rd 1.... How much pull do these arse hats have?

Imagine sitting there watching them unfurl the flag* with the dogs players, officials, supporters, everyone on TV watching on.

No way Champ.

Edit : Did we do it to the Swans? If so... Still wrong.!

Post Thanks / Like

It's never happened before having the GF teams play each other Rd 1.... How much pull do these arse hats have?

Imagine sitting there watching them unfurl the flag* with the dogs players, officials, supporters, everyone on TV watching on.

No way Champ.

I will not enter the ground till the start of the 1st quarter
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

No way Champ.

Actually, I am pretty sure we might have.

11. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In 2017 our first home game was against the swans in round 2, so yes.

At least it makes more sense for a grand final rematch in round 1 than Richmond v Carlton every year for no good reason whatsoever.

Doesn’t really worry me if they unfurl the flag against us. I believe in good sportsmanship, they won fair and square, let them have their moment and respect it. Then smash them from the opening bounce.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    In 2017 our first home game was against the swans in round 2, so yes.

At least it makes more sense for a grand final rematch in round 1 than Richmond v Carlton every year for no good reason whatsoever.

Doesn’t really worry me if they unfurl the flag against us. I believe in good sportsmanship, they won fair and square, let them have their moment and respect it. Then smash them from the opening bounce.
    What if they unfurl it to "freed from desire"?

14. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What if they unfurl it to "freed from desire"?
    Yarraville nets invitations will be issued post-haste.

Post Thanks / Like

Reading it might be a Wednesday night? Season opener.

Not sure about that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Rick Kennedy one game comeback, starts at the centre bounce.

18. Likes Mofra, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Rick Kennedy one game comeback, starts at the centre bounce.
    Barry Hall likes this
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

20. Likes Grantysghost liked this post