Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  128
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wood announces AFL retirement

Wood announces AFL retirement

Western Bulldogs Premiership captain Easton Wood has called time on his AFL career.

The 32-year-old leaves the game as a one-club player, having represented the Bulldogs 188 times over 14 seasons, after being taken with pick 43 in the 2007 AFL Draft.

His on-field achievements include a Charles Sutton Medal and an All-Australian blazer in 2015, and the honour of being Club captain in 2018 and 2019.

He was instrumental in the Bulldogs’ 2016 flag season, becoming just the second Premiership skipper in the Club’s history.

Off the field he was just as instrumental, representing the Bulldogs brilliantly in his role as a delegate and later a board member of the AFL Players’ Association, and as an ambassador for long-standing Club partners, including the Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation.

After careful consideration, Wood decided the time was right to step away from the game.

“After much thought I’ve decided to retire from the game I love so much, at a club which has been my home for 14 years,” he said.

“Whilst it’s been difficult to confront, the reality is I’ve athletically declined. I wanted to finish up on my own terms and I felt that if I declined further next year, I wouldn't have that opportunity. I’m proud to go out as a member of the team and being part of an amazing run to get to the Grand Final.

“Having dealt with numerous injury setbacks over the last few years, in particular my troublesome hamstrings, I felt like the time was right to step away. I’m at peace with the decision, and I’m looking forward to the next chapter in my life.

“As I reflect on my career, I’m incredibly proud of my contribution to this special football club. To every person who has had an influence on my career, on or off the field, thank you for making me a better player and person.

“There have been some up and downs along the journey, but I’m leaving the game content that I gave everything I had, backed by my family, friends, and the loyal and passionate Bulldogs members and fans.

“The Club is in such great hands, and I can’t wait to sit back and support the boys as a fan in the years to come.”

Bulldogs’ senior coach Luke Beveridge lauded Wood for his sustained impact at VU Whitten Oval.

“We’ve been extremely fortunate to have Easton as part of our organisation for as long as we have,” he said.

“It’s not often we find a player who is universally admired for his football ability, but also the impact he has on those around him. Easton has left a lasting impression on everyone associated with the Club, and we’re better for having worked with him.

“Not only was he meticulous in his preparation and yearned to maximise his potential as a professional athlete, but he succeeded in being an influential leader and he always spent the time to make others better.

“It’s a shame that Easton didn’t have the opportunity to communicate the news and say his goodbyes directly to the players, coaches and staff, but we’ll find an opportunity to farewell him in person later this year.

“We wish Easton, Tiff, Tilly and Freddie all the best, and they will be forever welcome at our club.”

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Easton Wood Retires - Thanks for the memories

Most probably the right call. Easton Wood has retired. Thanks for the memories. An immortal Bulldog as our second Premiership Captain.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wood announces AFL retirement

Selfless to the last. Forgoes a year on his contact because it's the right thing to do.

Stupid sexy Easton Wood...

Thank you. For everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Easton Wood Retires - Thanks for the memories

Western Bulldogs Premiership captain Easton Wood has called time on his AFL career.

The 32-year-old leaves the game as a one-club player, having represented the Bulldogs 188 times over 14 seasons, after being taken with pick 43 in the 2007 AFL Draft.

His on-field achievements include a Charles Sutton Medal and an All-Australian blazer in 2015, and the honour of being Club captain in 2018 and 2019.

He was instrumental in the Bulldogs’ 2016 flag season, becoming just the second Premiership skipper in the Club’s history.

Off the field he was just as instrumental, representing the Bulldogs brilliantly in his role as a delegate and later a board member of the AFL Players’ Association, and as an ambassador for long-standing Club partners, including the Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation.

After careful consideration, Wood decided the time was right to step away from the game.

“After much thought I’ve decided to retire from the game I love so much, at a club which has been my home for 14 years,” he said.

“Whilst it’s been difficult to confront, the reality is I’ve athletically declined. I wanted to finish up on my own terms and I felt that if I declined further next year, I wouldn't have that opportunity. I’m proud to go out as a member of the team and being part of an amazing run to get to the Grand Final.

“Having dealt with numerous injury setbacks over the last few years, in particular my troublesome hamstrings, I felt like the time was right to step away. I’m at peace with the decision, and I’m looking forward to the next chapter in my life.

“As I reflect on my career, I’m incredibly proud of my contribution to this special football club. To every person who has had an influence on my career, on or off the field, thank you for making me a better player and person.

“There have been some up and downs along the journey, but I’m leaving the game content that I gave everything I had, backed by my family, friends, and the loyal and passionate Bulldogs members and fans.

“The Club is in such great hands, and I can’t wait to sit back and support the boys as a fan in the years to come.”

Bulldogs’ senior coach Luke Beveridge lauded Wood for his sustained impact at VU Whitten Oval.

“We’ve been extremely fortunate to have Easton as part of our organisation for as long as we have,” he said.

“It’s not often we find a player who is universally admired for his football ability, but also the impact he has on those around him. Easton has left a lasting impression on everyone associated with the Club, and we’re better for having worked with him.

“Not only was he meticulous in his preparation and yearned to maximise his potential as a professional athlete, but he succeeded in being an influential leader and he always spent the time to make others better.

“It’s a shame that Easton didn’t have the opportunity to communicate the news and say his goodbyes directly to the players, coaches and staff, but we’ll find an opportunity to farewell him in person later this year.

“We wish Easton, Tiff, Tilly and Freddie all the best, and they will be forever welcome at our club.”

Link: https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...-afl-retiremen

6. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good piece in The Age with more information. https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...21-p59244.html

He has definitely made the right call.

8. Thanks Threedogs, SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First Dylan Addison now this. How am I supposed to cope?

Wood, as always, putting the team before self. What a legend.

Premiership Captain, Bullgod forever.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's the right decision and a huge thanks to Woody for stepping aside and for his brilliant career in the Red, White and Blue.

I know I've banged on about it a bit but it makes the decision to sign him for 2 years even more perplexing.

11. Likes GVGjr, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic clubman, injuries definitely caught up with him, and indeed probably stopped him from reaching his full potential. But he's been a wonderful leader, seems a ripping bloke and will always be a Bulldogs premiership captain and hero.
    All the best Stupid Sexy Easton Wood.

13. Likes EasternWest, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Easton for what you have done for the club. At his peak he was incredible, spoiling, intercepting and retires as an immortal of the club.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Thank you Eastern for what you have done for the club. At his peak he was incredible, spoiling, intercepting and retires as an immortal of the club.
    You're welcome. Thanks also to Easton.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    You're welcome. Thanks also to Easton.
    See how you influence me.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

19. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What a great career, an absolute Bulldogs champ.

Kudos on making the right call to finish up now, his hammies deserve a long and relaxing holiday.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

21. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Good piece in The Age with more information. https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...21-p59244.html

He has definitely made the right call.
    Agree. the fact the his thought that it would make him feel sick if his body led him to let the team down next year, just speaks to his quality, and leadership. The consummate clubman.

23. Likes bornadog, Threedogs, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolute legend - I got a massive man hug from him on GF night 2016 at the after function I'll never forget, think he was more excited than me !
    All the best with whatever comes next for Easton.