Thanks Thanks:  138
Likes Likes:  223
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preseason Training 2022

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Had a gut feel that they might do some match practice today and when I arrived the gates were open and a crowd of 20-30 ppl were watching. They had 3 umpires in what were very windy conditions.

3 quarters of roughly 20 minutes with a quick drinks break half way through each qtr. 16 a side throughout with both teams having 5 forwards.

Teams split into white and blue with some minor changes during each qtr. White seemed to be a particularly strong team with the stronger forward line and deeper mid rotation.

It looked like white had most of our first choice forwards and blue most of our first choice backs.

Forwards for white for the majority of the game consisted of Naughton, Jamarra, Vandermeer and JJ. Early on there was another tall with them who I am almost certain was Keath in a hat but by the last qtr Hannan had swapped sides and joined them.

Blue backs were Cordy, Gardner, Schache, Dale, Daniel, Richards.

White mids were B.Smith, Macrae, Bont (2 qtrs) with Hunter and Roarke on the wings.

Blue mids were Libba, Dunks, Bont (1 qtr), pretty sure West/Scott were rotating and wings were Wallis (whole game) and a mixture on the other wing.

White backs included Crozier, Williams, O’Brien (half game), Cleary (half game), Buku and I think Raak. Blue forwards were Arthur Jones, Bedendo, Martin/Sweet, Hannan (2 qtrs), West, Libba, Scott .

Didn’t play- Treloar, Darcy, Doc, McComb, Bruce, McLean, Weightman, Parker
    Restricted Minutes- Cleary, O’brien

Most of them did running the entire time apart from Treloar and Bruce who did some running and then watched the game on the bike.

Very noticeable that Hunter, JJ and Wallis are major on field leaders and are constantly organising, praising and coaching.

Macrae, Bont, Libba, Dunkley played their standard games through the middle.

Standard was quite good I thought considering the wind and we moved the ball well. Doesn’t look like an major changes in terms of style that I could detect but it is difficult in these types of games.

Was very hard to pick up some players with singlets and bibs combination making it hard to notice some players particularly on the far side.

Darcy- Was only running but you can tell his body is a mile off in terms of strength to play senior footy. Will only get a glimpse this season in my view.

Wallis- Played well on a wing, positioned himself well on slow plays. Instructed well and you could see him coaching on field between goals. Didn't look out of place to be honest and despite obvious question marks on ability to cover the ground it wasn't an issue today.

Bont- Played his usual game, finishing a little off in the wind. Got out the front of centre bounces at least 3-4 times.

B.Smith- Stood out with his powerful running. Exploded out of congestion several times and in transition completely blew players away. There was several times where his running power created overlaps or an out number and he received loud praise from leaders and coaches. Questionable with ball in hand several times but he is a major weapon. Kicked a goal from the centre square as well.

Hunter- Very good on the coaches box wing. Set everything up and drew several free kicks when he pushed inside 50.

Cordy- Was opposed to Jamarra regularly and as we know can be vulnerable to moving players. Was solid in 1 on 1 battles.

Jamarra- Had 4 goals at half time and 1 he gave off at half time by my count. It may sound ridiculous but he wasn’t overly involved for what was a very effective game. Breakdown of his goals was a short pass for a stationary chest mark in the pocket which he converted around the corner, two where he burnt his defender on the lead (Melbourne game style) and one where he got out the back in transition and snapped a goal. Impressive part for me was his back leading and use of space behind which makes him much harder to defend. The one he gave off was one where he got out the back in space but got a bad bounce and tapped it to a supporting player. I could think of 3-4 times where he was clear goal side of his opponent and wasn’t used quickly enough as well, in these situations all forwards had pulled up the ground and the ball was carried through half back and he was able to get out the back really easily. Looks a bit shaky on ground balls still and while he defended well structurally (pushed up ground to cut off options) he didn’t have a great deal of forward pressure. Did have 1 attempt at a speccy but it burst through his hands.

Naughton- Marked the first centre clearance with an huge clunk and then dominated. Must have had 8-10 marks and most of them inside 50. Started deep but was often as high as the defensive 50. Conversion was ok, missed a relatively easy one but slotted some difficult ones. Looks to have been working on kicking round the corner.

JJ- I thought he was behind only Naughton as the most dominant player on the ground. Was in absolutely everything, must have had 6 or more shots at goal, ran ppl down, got up the ground and turned his opponent, swooped on loose balls. Impressive thing for me was that he seemed to be running the forward line and was organising the structures forward of stoppages and calling out set ups eg: group together, isolate or 2-2-1. Was organising our set up at oppo kick ins as well.

English- Absolute stand out early and played ruck all game. Used his running to make himself a target in transition out of the backline, pushed forward hard and fought at ground level. Took a number of marks behind the ball as well. Faded as the game went on but still competed hard. I would think he won most centre bounces but was shaded in the stoppages by Martin.

Vandermeer- Similar to JJ, kept getting on the end of it inside 50, took a contested mark and was constantly running and bouncing. There was one piece of player where he hit a huge pack at absolute top speed and burst away inside 50. He butchered the chance and actually kicked poorly in general but he was another stand out.

West/Scott/McNeil- Must admit I found it hard to pick them up with the singlets and bibs combo but West did some nice things and Scott was able to pull onto his left several times and create space.

Sweet- Was either deep forward against Buku or in the ruck. Martin and Sweet swapped throughout between deep forward and ruck. English beat Sweet convincingly in my view when they were opposed. Sweet looked a bit better at ground level with some clever handballs to space but is not a viable option for more than a few minutes as a forward.

Martin- Looks noticeably lighter to me but still had power at throw ins and ball ups with English hitting the deck a few times. Looked better forward than Sweet.

Richards- Looked good at times but holds onto the ball too long when he is running and bouncing which creates pressure on his disposal. Took the kick outs when Daniel was off.

Khamis- I don’t think he is far off. Looked comfortable with ball in hand and competed well.

Bedendo- Clearly has something to work with, took a number of strong marks and was creative at times. Would expect him to be very good at vfl level this year and starting pushing for senior games. Seems to be a popular player, did a nice bit of evasive play on the boundary and laced out Sweet before getting

Arthur Jones- I would be surprised if we don’t have a player on our hands. Played half forward for 2 ½ qtrs and while that may not be his natural position he was extremely lively when the ball was in his area. Set up a couple of goals and has really noticeable speed and agility, looks like he hasn’t got his confidence at that level yet but went on a couple of runs (3-4 bounces before being smothered) and was able to turn nicely to set up Libba for a goal once as well. Looks like he is still finding the pace and confidence at that level but has some really handy traits and stood out when the ball was in his area.

Dale and Daniel- Both gave plenty of drive and used the ball well. I am a little concerned by how dominant JJ and Vandermeer were.

Cleary- Wasn’t on much but had one great moment with a really clean pick up at pace, under pressure from an errant handball.

Happy to answer questions if I can.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you DT for a comprehensive summary. This is what we like to hear about in this thread, but unfortunatetly hard to get to a training session.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Really appreciate that summary dog town.

Excited to hear about Wallis playing on a wing. He clearly has AFL attributes, so if he can find a way to make that work for him in a different role it would definitely be to the benefit of the team. The Angus Brayshaw defensive winger role would seem to be the goal - does Mitch have the tank for that?

JJ being dominant and a leader as a forward was also a key takeaway for me.

5. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dtmvp.
    "It's over. It's all over."

7. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Blue mids were Libba, Dunks, Bont (1 qtr), pretty sure West/Scott were rotating and wings were Wallis (whole game) and a mixture on the other wing.
    I initially read that as Scott West rotating on the wing and thought we must have been really ravaged by covid if we've got a 47 year old filling in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I initially read that as Scott West rotating on the wing and thought we must have been really ravaged by covid if we've got a 47 year old filling in.
    Scott would still pick up 20 possies, no worries.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Scott would still pick up 20 possies, no worries.
    Then hit Facebook to complain about it.
    "It's over. It's all over."

11. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Marra looks transformed.

13. Thanks kruder thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Jesus that's a good post DT. Thank you so much for the insights.

Pack up early kiddywinks, post of the year is already settled.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Jesus that's a good post DT. Thank you so much for the insights.

Pack up early kiddywinks, post of the year is already settled.
    Lets just wait for GF day shall we.

Agree awesome post.

17. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great reading DT. Any reason Treloar wasn’t involved that anyone knows of?

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic post dt felt like I was there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Great reading DT. Any reason Treloar wasn’t involved that anyone knows of?
    Possibly just managing his loads, he did some running before he got on the bike but fair to say he did the least running of guys that didn’t play.