Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  26
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pick a fringe player and predict his future in 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Ouch! You'd better hope EW hasn't watched the TV Show 'Mr Inbetween'! Calling someone a Champ in a jail is 'fight on sight' stuff.
    Yep, thought the same when I read it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pick a fringe player and predict his future in 2022

MACRAE TIPS ENGLISH/RICHARDS AND YOUNG DOGS TO HAVE BREAKOUT YEARS

​The Western Bulldogs are coming into this year looking to avenge last year’s devastating premiership loss to Melbourne.

The club is putting its faith in several young players to make the leap and pre-season form suggests that they have.

Three-time All-Australian midfielder Jack Macrae believes ruckman Tim English has made strides in the off-season and is primed for a breakout year in 2022.

“I think he’s maturing, each season he’s maturing in levels that he’s gone to,” he said on SEN Breakfast.

“He’s come back and put on a few more kilos, just more confidence in his own self.”

Although English will be put to the test in Round 1 against the all-conquering Demons, Macrae believes that his potential is through the roof and the playing group has faith in him.

“He’s got a big task in Max Gawn in Round 1, but we’re looking forward to supporting him as best we can,” the Dogs star said.

“He still hasn’t reached a level that I think he’s capable of, and that he knows he’s capable of as well.”

Another young gun that the newly appointed vice-captain is excited about is 2020 number one draft pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan.

The 19-year-old appeared in only five games for the Dogs last season, struggling to meet fitness expectations and finding challenges in adapting to the professionalism of AFL football.

“He has the right attitude and he’s come in extremely fit this pre-season, I’ve been really impressed by his training ethic,” Macrae said.

“You’ve just got to give it time and that key forward role is a bloody hard role to play.”

Every year it seems that a club has a ‘bolter’ – a player who works their way up the depth chart and finds a place in the 22.

Macrae is betting that defender Ed Richards will have that fortune this year.

“He’s been very impressive for us over the pre-season, and really keen to see him have a big season because he deserves it,” he added.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post