Thanks Thanks:  42
Likes Likes:  158
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sam Darcy:- Welcome to the Western Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Difference is Darcy is already a better kick.
    As in set shot? Yeah nah not convinced on that yet. Danniher aint great necessarily but Darcy has missed some shockers IIRC. Time will tell though it's still early. Can't say his technique is reassuring as you watch him approach goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    The young man is a Unicorn, Forward-Ruck is a hard position to play with not a lot of standout players capable of both roles so to have really good ruckcraft and be dangerous in the forward 50 is very rare.
    And can play back as a bonus.

Post Thanks / Like

And he can go back.
    Sorry. Just saw this. Great minds..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    Great to get two Rising Stars in two week and hopefully Sanders isn't far away from getting a nod, you know there must be something special there with Sam Darcy when Leigh Matthews who very rarely has anything positive to say about the Bulldogs comes out and labels Sam the next big thing.

It's interesting that when drafted he was playing back but was always a forward ruck before that draft year and he also see's himself as a ruckman first then forward, i know i thought he was a forward who gave a chop out in the ruck as he looks so natural up forward but either way, he's a beauty.

Looking back to when Buddy and Roughy were dominating for the Hawks up forward and that final where they blew us out of the water especially at the G, wheres those two but especially Roughead would take the ball at the highest point and we had no answer for it, we didn't have that luxury in our forward line but with Sam now, that highest point is 208cm plus given his high reach, we even saw that on the weekend against two Cats players one being Tom Stewart both right in the contest but neither could get near him, it was just magnificent to see and will only get better.
    That was such a great contested mark. Hardly ever see that these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    Absolutely, it's both positioning and height which why i think he just looks a natural up forward, a lot of times height is grossly overrated because a 200cm plus spud is still a spud, but with Darce it gives him that massive advantage with that skillset and height with taking the ball at the highest point.
    And his ability to hold position and still win a tap or a mark is amazing for his young and still slight frame.

Post Thanks / Like

Difference is Darcy is already a better kick.
    and I think smarter overall.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    As in set shot? Yeah nah not convinced on that yet. Danniher aint great necessarily but Darcy has missed some shockers IIRC. Time will tell though it's still early. Can't say his technique is reassuring as you watch him approach goal.
    I am very much reassured by the fact that he has a consistent technique that improves the percentages in actually having a consistent result.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

8. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know there was some commentary on his ruck work last weekend (which is going to be WIP for another few years I suspect) he was able to hold his own on most occasions and the upshot of his marking ability inside F50 is worth it.

He’s a rising star, no doubt.

10. Likes bornadog, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    IIRC Rocket said in Darcy's draft year that while there isn't a perfect comparison, the player he could most liken Darcy to was Joe Danniher. I don't know if he's quite that agile but just being pretty agile as a 208cm ruck/forward is already huge.
    Rocket also said Darcy would be a better player than Daniher.

12. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    and I think smarter overall.
    Yeah anyone that sprays it as often as Daniher from long range and have other better options closer to goals then smile and laugh everytime he misses like he just can't believe it missed, i'm so glad i'm not a Brissy supporter.

Post Thanks / Like

When does the next Darcy father/son come through? Is he tracking to be anywhere near Sam’s ability?

Post Thanks / Like

Are we tracking to have the most father/sons in the last ten years ?
    Bring back the biff