Thanks Thanks:  35
Likes Likes:  132
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sam Darcy:- Welcome to the Western Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I used to go to the footy with a couple mates and we would go through all the players heights as a test.

He was a very good player considering how we got him.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I used to know every player's height in the 90's. League wide.

But it had nothing to do with anything that could be considered feelings of inadequacy, I swear!
    Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Me too except early 2000s. I was a very cool kid.
    e0f250b8d03b09ed0738c403cdb0fe46.jpg
    WOOF Member 422

2. Likes GVGjr, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    You know you had to do something during the half time break because we couldn't surf the net on the iPhones like the cool kids do now
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Good debut from Sam! Marked the ball very well. Big cheer from the crowd when he marked back there in the 1st quarter.
    He did very well. In 2017 Lewis Young had an impressive 9 mark debut for us and a few of them were intercepts.

Darcy looks composed and while it's taken a long while to work through his injury challenges we got him into form at Footscray and gave him the best chance to have a positive debut. Bright future.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

While they're all top shelf talent (which is exactly what you want) you'd have to say that all of JUH, English, Darcy and Naughton have been well managed through their careers to date. We used to say we couldn't develop KPPs but none of these guys were traded in, and they've all followed different paths. Plus... there's a long way to go before they're at the their peaks.

6. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He did very well. In 2017 Lewis Young had an impressive 9 mark debut for us and a few of them were intercepts.

Darcy looks composed and while it's taken a long while to work through his injury challenges we got him into form at Footscray and gave him the best chance to have a positive debut. Bright future.
    Andres Everitt also had a few plum weeks as the 3rd intercept defender. Boy did he look good.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Deleted due to joke flopped.
    Last edited by bornadog; 08-08-2022 at 05:12 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Darcy is already ahead of those two blokes.
    No he's not.... Lewis Young was way more impressive in his first outing for us.

I must be on my own, but I thought Sam was a little underwhelming in his first game which was partly due to obvious nerves... obviously took some nice marks which is encouraging but his positioning and lack of strength really showed out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

I must be on my own, but I thought Sam was a little underwhelming in his first game which was partly due to obvious nerves... obviously took some nice marks which is encouraging but his positioning and lack of strength really showed out.
    I thought he was impressive but had some very clear vulnerabilities in his game. His strength and conditioning will come with time, but he's not close to the level required at the moment. His kicking needs work - would like to see him kick off a few steps, his shanks are a bit predictable because he doesn't balance himself, taking only one step. Generally I think the default for players of Sam's size should be to look for a handball first, 9 kicks and 1 handball is not the kind of ratio I'd expect or want to see for a 200cm+ player.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

12. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

Tongue in cheek comment.

It was day one for a guy who is yet to turn 19. I can't remember Lewis Young's first game, but watched him yesterday against Brisbane and wasn't that impressed. Especially when he got out marked towards the end of the last quarter, I think against McStay - it was a very weak effort.

Darcy, of course has a long way to go, but I like the way he is cool and calm and doesn't seem to panic.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Tongue in cheek comment.

It was day one for a guy who is yet to turn 19. I can't remember Lewis Young's first game, but watched him yesterday against Brisbane and wasn't that impressed. Especially when he got out marked towards the end of the last quarter, I think against McStay - it was a very weak effort.

Darcy, of course has a long way to go, but I like the way he is cool and calm and doesn't seem to panic.
    Lewis Young's first game was against Carlton at the MCG. It was a wet game. By memory he wore a long sleeve jumper and took a very nice pack mark. (Round 17, 2017).

15. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lewis Young on Debut

17. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Lewis Young's first game was against Carlton at the MCG. It was a wet game. By memory he wore a long sleeve jumper and took a very nice pack mark. (Round 17, 2017).
    21 disposals, 9 marks and most of those were intercepts from memory. Might still be his career best game, though he's played some good ones for the Blues this year.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Tongue in cheek comment.

Lewis debuted at age 19 and had 21 disposals and nine marks, with I think all but one being intercepts.

He was excellent in his first game.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Lewis debuted at age 19 and had 21 disposals and nine marks, with I think all but one being intercepts.

He was excellent in his first game.
    Doesn't seemed to have progressed much from that day.

Post Thanks / Like

Tongue in cheek comment.

Why do you always say a comment is tongue in cheek or a joke when questioned?

Anyway, as others have mentioned Lewis's debut was very good... why we weren't able to develop his game from that point on is a source of great frustration to me.