Thanks Thanks:  35
Likes Likes:  132
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sam Darcy:- Welcome to the Western Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Why do you always say a comment is tongue in cheek or a joke when questioned?

Do I? I better use emojis more
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Anyway, as others have mentioned Lewis's debut was very good... why we weren't able to develop his game from that point on is a source of great frustration to me.
    It is a great question. Is it the player's innate skill and work ethic or is it our developmental ability? I don't think Lewis ever got a sustained run at it with us. He played 24 games in five seasons. However the biggest factor that probably held him back the most was his intensity at the contest and overall aggression. He was just too weak in too many contests. Bevo as has been mentioned many times on these boards has a low tolerance for players who are weak at the contest (see Lippa).

So is ones ability to attack the contest with vigor a learned trait or something that comes innate. I think it is the latter. It is hard or nigh on impossible to teach. You either have it or you don't. Lewis Young doesn't have it.

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Darcy is already ahead of those two blokes.
    I read over the comments on here after the Young debut and you were singing his praises.
    Young had 21 disposals and 9 marks and from memory one terrific park mark. Darcy had 10 and 8 which was more than OK.

Darcy looked composed and a good prospect but you can't be comparing debut games between he and Young which is what I referred to.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    It is a great question. Is it the player's innate skill and work ethic or is our developmental ability? I don't think Lewis ever got a sustained run at it with us. He played 24 games in five seasons. However the biggest factor that probably held him back the most was his intensity at the contest and overall aggression. He was just too weak in too many contests. Bevo as has been mentioned many times on these boards has a low tolerance for players who are weak at the contest (see Lippa).

So is ones ability to attack the contest with vigor a learned trait or something that comes innate. I think it is the latter. It is hard or nigh on impossible to teach. You either have it or you don't. Lewis Young doesn't have it.
    Youngy hasn't put on the muscle that I thought he would. Here's hoping Darc does.

6. Thanks angelopetraglia thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I read over the comments on here after the Young debut and you were singing his praises.
    Young had 21 disposals and 9 marks and from memory one terrific park mark. Darcy had 10 and 8 which was more than OK.

Darcy looked composed and a good prospect but you can't be comparing debut games between he and Young which is what I referred to.
    Of course I was singing his praises and I was hoping he would make it, but it just didn't work out.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Youngy hasn't put on the muscle that I thought he would. Here's hoping Darc does.
    It is not just muscle. It is a mindset. It is how you see the game. It is how you attack the contest and the ball. Naughton in his first year was skinny yet through his body into contests with reckless abandonment.

Post Thanks / Like

It is not just muscle. It is a mindset. It is how you see the game. It is how you attack the contest and the ball. Naughton in his first year was skinny yet through his body into contests with reckless abandonment.
    McStay out muscled Young at the Gabba when it counted. Mindset is important but if you ain't got the muscle that's a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Of course I was singing his praises and I was hoping he would make it, but it just didn't work out.
    So you weren't comparing debut games between both of the boys like I was when you quoted me?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Lewis Young on Debut

Best part of the photo is two fold.

1. EW will be happy as Young used old mate Suckers as a launch pad
    2. EW is reminded that Suckers donned the RWB jumper
    More of an In Bruges guy?

12. Likes bornadog, chef, EasternWest, Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    So you weren't comparing debut games between both of the boys like I was when you quoted me?
    it was a joke. Ok I will delete.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    I thought he was impressive but had some very clear vulnerabilities in his game. His strength and conditioning will come with time, but he's not close to the level required at the moment. His kicking needs work - would like to see him kick off a few steps, his shanks are a bit predictable because he doesn't balance himself, taking only one step. Generally I think the default for players of Sam's size should be to look for a handball first, 9 kicks and 1 handball is not the kind of ratio I'd expect or want to see for a 200cm+ player.
    I think it is Darcy's modus operandi. Was quite similar in the VFL game last week but was a bit more composed and able to pull them off.

I suspect if he does play as a defender long term we'll be pretty happy with his willingness to contribute to the rebound when the opportunity arises rather than hold up and slow down play to look for a safe option every time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I think it is Darcy's modus operandi. Was quite similar in the VFL game last week but was a bit more composed and able to pull them off.

I suspect if he does play as a defender long term we'll be pretty happy with his willingness to contribute to the rebound when the opportunity arises rather than hold up and slow down play to look for a safe option every time.
    Agree
    Having watched a few of the televised VFL, Darcy looks to be an excellent use off both sides by foot.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

16. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Best part of the photo is two fold.

1. EW will be happy as Young used old mate Suckers as a launch pad
    2. EW is reminded that Suckers donned the RWB jumper
    Actually the best bit is Lewy's left boot doing what I wish I could've.
    "It's over. It's all over."

18. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Actually the best bit is Lewy's left boot doing what I wish I could've.
    Given Matt a shoulder massage?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Given Matt a shoulder massage?
    Do you know your left from right?
    "It's over. It's all over."