Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  9
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tonights picks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tonights picks

Parker looks like he has a bit of Seedsman in him and a few other rangy types with good leg speed. Hopefully going into a full time program and concentrating on footy brings his assets out even more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We would have to be happy with our draft effort especially given how late in proceedings, Darcy aside, our selections were.

We got a great mix of players as well

Sam Darcy will need time but a 205cm versatile tall is exactly what we needed.
    After unsuccessfully bidding for Josh Fahey we landed the exciting and explosive winger in Arthur Jones.
    Then we landed a top age defender in Luke Cleary who is well regarded for his kicking efficiency and intercept and rebounding skills.
    24yo Charlie Parker looks to be an exciting prospect as a 193cm versatile mid with plenty of depth with his kicking and a tenacious approach.
    26yo Robbie McComb made the VFL team of the year and our VFL B&F award. A strong midfielder who dominated a couple of games this year. Consecutive 32 possession games probably locked him in with our draft considerations.
    On top of that we bring in Cody Raak as a Cat B rookie.

So we landed the best tall and father son to boot, an indigenous player with an exceptional set of wheels, a composed 190cm defender and two more mature midfielder types that should respond well to being full time footballers and a free hit from our own backyard.
    Given our draft hand we should all be pleased with the way our recruiting team have navigated through this.

Sam Power also completed some excellent deals with other clubs to assemble the points we needed for Darcy but still have a pick in the 40's to land Jones.

Our new coaches and the development team must be energized with the prospect of arriving at the club and having so many players with plenty of upside. This is exactly the type of draft result that will excite our members as well.
    It is an outstanding result. We could have easily been left with Darcy and then the last five picks of the draft. It's worth adding that we got Tim O'Brien too.

3. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We would have to be happy with our draft effort especially given how late in proceedings, Darcy aside, our selections were.

After unsuccessfully bidding for Josh Fahey we landed the exciting and explosive winger in Arthur Jones.
    Then we landed a top age defender in Luke Cleary who is well regarded for his kicking efficiency and intercept and rebounding skills.
    24yo Charlie Parker looks to be an exciting prospect as a 193cm versatile mid with plenty of depth with his kicking and a tenacious approach.
    26yo Robbie McComb made the VFL team of the year and our VFL B&F award. A strong midfielder who dominated a couple of games this year. Consecutive 32 possession games probably locked him in with our draft considerations.

So we landed the best tall and father son to boot, an indigenous player with an exceptional set of wheels, a composed 190cm defender and two more mature midfielder types that should respond well to being full time footballers and a free hit from our own backyard.
    Given our draft hand we should all be pleased with the way our recruiting team have navigated through this.

Sam Power also completed some excellent deals with other clubs to assemble the points we needed for Darcy but still have a pick in the 40's to land Jones.

Our new coaches and the development team must be energized with the prospect of arriving at the club and having so many players with plenty of upside. This is exactly the type of draft result that will excite our members as well.
    Thanks mate great summary I didn't have time to follow it closely.

Post Thanks / Like

Good summary Gary.

I'm really excited about Arthur Jones after watching his highlight reel. More excited than I've been about a latish draftee than I have been for years.

And we've had some luck with pick 43s in the past. Lindsay Gilbee and Easton Wood were both taken with pick 43.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

6. Likes Ghost Dog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Parker looks like he has a bit of Seedsman in him and a few other rangy types with good leg speed. Hopefully going into a full time program and concentrating on footy brings his assets out even more.
    Not a bad comparison.
    Seedsman is quietly becoming one of the better wingman in the competition. If Parker becomes half as good he'll get his name on a locker.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

What an entertaining bunch of picks! I love these players.
    Each highlight reel is so much fun to watch. Has me looking forward to 2022.

Very excited to have Jones. He moves so incredibly well, and work rate is fantastic. Such a beautiful kick.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Good summary Gary.

I'm really excited about Arthur Jones after watching his highlight reel. More excited than I've been about a latish draftee than I have been for years.

And we've had some luck with pick 43s in the past. Lindsay Gilbee and Easton Wood were both taken with pick 43.
    Well, if we can get some Gilbee and Wood type returns from Jones he's in for a long career for us.

I actually feel a bit sorry for Darcy who for some reason hasn't quite captured the Ugle-Hagan type hype from last year with our supporters and most appear to be more excited about Arthur Jones

Lets face it, most of us love those players with that x-factor about them In the case of Jones it might x, y and z factor.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

10. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, if we can get some Gilbee and Wood type returns from Jones he's in for a long career for us.

I actually feel a bit sorry for Darcy who for some reason hasn't quite captured the Ugle-Hagan type hype from last year with our supporters and most appear to be more excited about Arthur Jones

Lets face it, most of us love those players with that x-factor about them In the case of Jones it might x, y and z factor.
    Sam might prefer to have a bit less fuss made about him. I certainly would, people get really worked up about new recruits and we tend to forget that they are only kids.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite