Thanks Thanks:  51
Likes Likes:  158
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Arthur Jones

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    From the Tackle. Mark Robinson.

Arty Jones

Good bloodlines? Well, he’s Krakouer related and calls Jimmy and Phil “Pops’’, so the bloodlines run deep. So does the talent. He’s 19 and played seven games and his trajectory already is significant. And he is exactly what the Bulldogs have been searching for: a smart, high speed and high-pressure small forward. Ahead of the 2019 national draft, The Bulldogs had Kozzie Pickett on the drafting board, but the Demons took him three picks before the Dogs had their first pick. The Dogs settled on Cody Weightman, another small forward, but he was more a Jamie Elliott-type, a marking threat. Jones is a swooper. His final 12 minutes against the Blues on Saturday night won the game. With momentum against them, the Dogs kicked 4.2 and Jones was involved in four of those scores, which included a goal, a gather then curler on his right foot from the right-hand pocket. It was 12 minutes of Arty Jones mayhem. He had five touches and 41 SuperCoach points. In comparison, Carlton’s highest ranked player in that period was Adam Saad with 11. Soon enough, TV commentators will call him the X-factor and a cult figure, as happens with most Indigenous players with blinding speed, but he’s much more than a stereotype. He’s a 71kg kid in his seventh game who ripped the momentum from the opposition and turned the result. That’s rare. Not even Kozzie, Charlie Cameron or Tom Papley were able to do that so early in their careers.
    The lad's done well, just how good he can be is exciting. You don't have to be a monster to apply pressure. I hope the Club doesn't insist that he become a monster and load him up in the Gym. Does anyone else remember the mismanagement of Dallas Patterson ?

Post Thanks / Like

10 years in the gym wouldn't make much of an impact on Arty's frame.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Did a lot more than Weightman on Saturday. The small forward role in our forward line would be a tough one to play. I think he's doing an admirable job and hope he keeps improving as he gets more experience. We desperately need his pace up forward.

Might be a coincidence but we're 4-1 with him in the side.
    Make that 6-1.

I'm absolutely loving watching him play and what he brings to our side. Keep it up Arty.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think we should start trying to play Arty of the back line sort of like a JJ role. Does he have the tank to be a running back?
    I ask because he seemed lost in the forward line and he has good evasive skills.

I just hit 5000 posts go me.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

5. Thanks angelopetraglia thanked for this post
    Likes SquirrelGrip, azabob, josie, jeemak, jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Arty definitely has the tank. For me his our long term wing option who can run all day. He was pigeon-holed into the defensive small forward by necessity.

With the right pre-season, he could be a wing solution.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

7. Likes Hotdog60 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Do you think we should start trying to play Arty of the back line sort of like a JJ role. Does he have the tank to be a running back?
    I ask because he seemed lost in the forward line and he has good evasive skills.

I just hit 5000 posts go me.
    Lit it up for a quarter in the VFL when sent to half back after not getting any touches for a month.

Post Thanks / Like

Heard arty isn’t playing vfl as he is getting surgery? Anyone know what his carrying?

Post Thanks / Like

It's a good suggestion. I'd like to see him further up the ground too, whether that's wing or half back I'm not sure but I'd lean towards the latter as it's an easier position to play.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    It's a good suggestion. I'd like to see him further up the ground too, whether that's wing or half back I'm not sure but I'd lean towards the latter as it's an easier position to play.
    MJP says he was a winger based on his junior years.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
    Heard arty isn’t playing vfl as he is getting surgery? Anyone know what his carrying?
    I thought it was a shoulder