Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  32
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Westernbulldogs - Charlie Parker

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Westernbulldogs - Charlie Parker

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I mean his nickname has to the 'Bird' doesn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats & Welcome to the Mighty Bulldogs, Yardbird. There is a Facebook short clip of him kicking a goal from boundary line - looks like it was well over 50m. More of those please!! Presume he has been recruited as a defender.

5. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any of our Adelaide Woofers got the skinny on this fella?

Post Thanks / Like

Talented cricketer too:

It’s blue skies for Sturt’s Parker brothers as trio make their mark

Sturt Cricket Club has three brothers - (LtoR) Charlie,22, Angus,17, and Max Parker, 27, playing in its grade cricket side this season. It is the first time the three have played A grade together. 24 October 2019. Picture Dean Martin

Mention the name Parker at the Sturt District Cricket Club and there’s a fair chance the response will be: “which one?”

Brothers Max, Charlie and Angus Parker are padding up together for this first time this season in Sturt’s top side, making up more than a quarter of the team.

And with dad Stephen the Blues’ secretary and scorer and mum Deb looking after the afternoon tea, it’s become a real Parker family affair at Price Memorial Oval.

Max, a batting all-rounder, and leg-spinner Charlie have become regulars in Sturt’s top side while batsman Angus, 17, made his debut in round one earlier this month.

Max, 27, says the special feat came as a bit of a surprise.

“There’s quite an age gap between myself and Angus, so to be able to play some B grade cricket with him last year was really good and I definitely didn’t expect to be playing some A grade cricket with him,” Max says.

“But he’s taken the opportunity he’s been given due to a couple of guys leaving and the club’s youth policy, which I think is fantastic.

“It was more of a reward for mum and dad as well because of the sacrifices they’ve made over the years for us.

“For those two to see the three of us run out was pretty special.”

Backyard battles unsurprisingly shaped the Parker brothers’ skills and competitiveness, including fourth brother Lewis who has given up the game but still plays football alongside Charlie at Adelaide University.

Charlie modestly names Max as holding the mantle of the best cricketer in the family but says Angus has the potential to take the title.

“I think Angus probably has the potential to be the best in the family and Max has probably held the reins for a while, being the oldest,” Charlie, 22, says.

“We have played a lot of heated battles in the backyard, ending in tears a lot of the time, it’s nice that we can play together instead of against each other now.

“I’ve also been lucky enough to play a fair bit of footy out at Uni with Max and Lewis and now Angus and Max with cricket.”

Unfortunately the Blues were not able to snare wins in their opening two rounds with all three brothers playing, before breaking the duck against East Torrens – a win Max missed through injury.

Max says Sturt’s policy of bringing through youth ahead of heavy recruitment is the right way forward.

“The core is there from the last two seasons where we’ve played a one-day final and a two-day final so we’re confident with the group we’ve got,” he says.

“The challenge we’ve got now through guys like myself, Brad Davis, Ty Watson and Ziggy Kulesza is to be role models and leaders for the young guys coming through, like Angus.”

The eldest Parker made his A grade debut in the 2012-13 campaign while Charlie made his first appearance in the top side at the beginning of last season.

Both were part of the Blues losing 2018-19 One-Day Cup grand final side.

8. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Likes a goal and reasonable pace.

10. Thanks josie, bornadog, Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes jazzadogs, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Go The Bird

Good luck young man!
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

12. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I mean his nickname has to the 'Bird' doesn't it?
    I mean, for you and me, yes.
    For footballers under 30, probably not.

14. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Charlie! Welcome to the Dogs!
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I'd guess we're looking to him to be a 193cm wingman who can roll back into defence to provide aerial support.
    It's not the worst idea
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

17. Likes kruder, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks a good prospect

Post Thanks / Like

Another tweener.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Geelong and the Western Bulldogs have pulled huge surprises in the AFL rookie draft on Friday as 24-year-old Williamstown defender Charlie Dean finally got his chance at the top level.

In the first shock of the online event, which saw all 18 clubs call in remotely, Stephen Wells and the Cats plucked Ollie Dempsey straight from Old Carey Grammarians in the VAFA at pick 13.

The Bulldogs followed suit two selections later, taking Sturt’s Charlie Parker, who was playing amateur footy in Adelaide last year.

The first-grade cricketer turned league footballer said he was still coming to terms with playing SANFL league football with Sturt this year when AFL grand finalist the Western Bulldogs sensationally picked him.

Now the 24-year-old mature-age selection is taking his impressive, pacy, long-kicking game to the big league.

“It’s fair to say I am in a bit of shock,’’ Parker said minutes after seeing his name pop up on the AFL website as the 17th pick of the rookie draft.

“It’s just been an amazing year and this tops it all off.

“I’m still shocked that I played league footy this year and now this happens.

“It’s incredible that I’m in this position, very exciting, and I can’t wait to get started with the Bulldogs

The club also plucked another mature-ager from their VFL program in 24-year-old midfielder Robbie McComb.

Link

21. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked how he lowered his eyes a few times when hitting the 50-60m out zone, and hit a forward in the clear rather than taking the shot at goal.

From the clip he has a bit of a funny kicking action, but efficiency didn't seem to be an issue. Good luck lad!

23. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The link is pay walled is he a ruck? Many thanks.