Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  32
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Westernbulldogs - Charlie Parker

I am very very very very sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I can't find any information that he is indigenous, and not a huge fan of 'he looks indigenous' as a comment on appearance. This isn't a personal crack at the posters, but think it's worth reflecting on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I am very very very very sorry.
    Are you the head of BP?

3. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Are you the head of BP?

Sorry I don’t get it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Hi Jazzadogs.

If some of us have been blind to cultural differences please inform us of specifics so we can avoid faux pas.

I’m proud of my Chinese heritage and I have no problems with folks saying I look Asian or Chinese. I’ve had my fair share of racism - fortunately a lot better now than decades ago. I also think we/Australians can still do so much better. With many supporters having a keen desire to harness the best of the talent pool, including indigenous talent, I do not think there is anything inappropriate in queries or observations, unless I’m missing something.
    I agree Josie, and sorry to hear that you have had your fair share of racism. I don't actually get racism, ie why people are like that.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Sorry I don’t get it
    It's a South Park skit, poking fun at the head of BP for the Gulf of Mexico accident.

8. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He seems the right kind of project 'type' to use the rookie list on.
    I do wonder whether we're considering him a HB prospect for a potential wing option. We do love our 'HB turned wingmen' type (Roarke Smith, and we recruited Butler with the same idea)
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He seems the right kind of project 'type' to use the rookie list on.
    I do wonder whether we're considering him a HB prospect for a potential wing option. We do love our 'HB turned wingmen' type (Roarke Smith, and we recruited Butler with the same idea)
    Maybe he can become our midfield tagging option we've called for in the past.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jazzadogs.

If some of us have been blind to cultural differences please inform us of specifics so we can avoid faux pas.

I’m proud of my Chinese heritage and I have no problems with folks saying I look Asian or Chinese. I’ve had my fair share of racism - fortunately a lot better now than decades ago. I also think we/Australians can still do so much better. With many supporters having a keen desire to harness the best of the talent pool, including indigenous talent, I do not think there is anything inappropriate in queries or observations, unless I’m missing something.
    My mum waited until I was 57 before she got around to telling me that her grandfather was Chinese. "I thought that I'd told you?"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

12. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    My mum waited until I was 57 before she got around to telling me that her grandfather was Chinese. "I thought that I'd told you?"
    Family histories are so interesting. Hope you could find out more info. Makes travel to where ancestors came from more special too.

Post Thanks / Like

Family histories are so interesting. Hope you could find out more info. Makes travel to where ancestors came from more special too.
    I remember saying "whoah, back up a bit. I thought that your ancestors came from Cornwall?" (we were watching a TV show about Cornwall at the time) and she said that half of them did but they were living in Bendigo and her grandmother met a Chinese bloke there and married him. There's lots of Chinese in Bendigo dating back to the gold rush.

Combine it with my Jamaican great grandmother on my dad's side and the Danish, British, German and Italian ancestry and it makes for a cosmopolitan bloodline!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

15. Likes josie, Dry Rot, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice article on SEN

The Western Bulldogs swung somewhat of a surprise when they selected Charlie Parker in the rookie draft.

Prior to hearing his name read out last Friday, the 24-year-old had spent just one season playing in the SANFL with Sturt following a cricket career which took him to England at the age of 18.

Double Blues coach Marty Mattner says it has been some sort of journey from the cricket pitch to Whitten Oval via Adelaide University and Unley Oval.

“Charlie’s an interesting story,” Mattner said on SEN SA Breakfast.

“He played cricket all year round, a couple of years in England and Australia, and played a bit of amateur league (footy).

“We had his name spoken about and given to us. We said come out and trial with us.

“From his first session when he won our 2km time trial we saw that he had some elite traits, not just for SANFL but for AFL.

“Even (football manager) David Oatey, who is a wise head in footy, started seeing him at training and was like, ‘This kid is going to be good’.”

222-game former Crow and Swan Mattner said it was Parker’s thirst for knowledge and desire to improve himself as a footballer which put him on the radar of the Dogs.

“It was just progression, it was his learning and over pre-season he was great, he asked questions of players and coaches,” Mattner added.

“He wanted to learn and get better and be out doing extras all the time.

“He had that drive and want to get better. He naturally progressed after starting in the reserves and then the league. Unfortunately he got injured, broke his collarbone which finished his season.

“He had some interest mid-season. A few clubs rang up to find out who he was and his background because no one really knew who he was.

“He didn’t play much in the second half of the year but then we thought he might miss out on a rookie. A couple of clubs kept in contact about where he was at.”

Off-season training alongside Sturt alumni - Collingwood pair Brodie Grundy and Ash Johnson and Port Adelaide youngster Jed McEntee - helped prepare and condition Parker for a move to the AFL.

“He’s been training with Brodie Grundy, Jed McEntee and Ash Johnson which has been really good,” said Mattner.

“He’s fully fit (now), so the Bulldogs took a punt on him. He’s an elite runner, really quick, he’s a good kick as well.

“And at 193 (cm) he’s that prototype AFL footballer.”

Parker, who played primarily off half-back and on a wing for Sturt, was taken by the Dogs with pick 17 in last week’s rookie draft.

Ahead of the 2022 season, Mattner also indicated that Sturt expects to sign delisted Port Adelaide defender Jarrod Lienert while confirming the capture of former Sydney rookie Malachy Carruthers.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

17. Thanks Dancin' Douggy, bornadog, josie, SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Charlie Parker was just interviewed on RSN - a really good interview.

Seems very level headed - he was told on Thursday night after the national draft he'd be selected in the rookie draft but to keep it very quiet. He did and didn't even tell his mum!

Humble, well spoken, clearly has natural ability. His dad and uncle played for Sturt in the SANFL also.

Dare we say lock him in for round 1?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

19. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

Seems very level headed - he was told on Thursday night after the national draft he'd be selected in the rookie draft but to keep it very quiet. He did and didn't even tell his mum!

Humble, well spoken, clearly has natural ability. His dad and uncle played for Sturt in the SANFL also.

I think he is a way off as a lock but we also know Bevo likes shiny new toys. If there is a specific role identified for him you might very well be right.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Link to interview: https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcas...=1000544485313
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

22. Thanks Smads57 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Might need a bit of time in our system first but a 193cm bloke who is already running very well (with our experienced mids going by track reports) is a positive.
    He's exactly the type of player the rookie list was designed for.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers