Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  32
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Westernbulldogs - Charlie Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Might need a bit of time in our system first but a 193cm bloke who is already running very well (with our experienced mids going by track reports) is a positive.
    He's exactly the type of player the rookie list was designed for.
    I agree, I'm not a fan of the way some clubs use the rookie list by dumping contracted players there rather than investing in the likes of ruck man or genuine mature aged option.
    Looking forward to seeing what Parker brings us next year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I agree, I'm not a fan of the way some clubs use the rookie list by dumping contracted players there rather than investing in the likes of ruck man or genuine mature aged option.
    We did that with Hahn a few years ago.

I agree, the original idea of a rookie list has long been lost and the AFL should reign it in.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Is it just the name - rookie - that is the issue? What if the AFL went back to the old name of supplementary list (or similar)? It stopped being a rookie list many years ago.

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Is it just the name - rookie - that is the issue? What if the AFL went back to the old name of supplementary list (or similar)? It stopped being a rookie list many years ago.
    No, it's because the AFL wanted to provide clubs the option to add indigenous players or KP players that might take longer to develop in the system. After consulting clubs on why they weren't drafting taller players or taking chances on players from outside of the normal pathway the clubs advised that they tended to go with the more traditionally safer options like midfielders. The rookie list was a chance for clubs to take more of a punt on players without it costing them list spots.

I don't care if it's just extra spots on the main list or if they call it a supplementary list but if they genuinely want to incentivise clubs to invest in players that will either take a bit longer to develop or come from the less traditional pathway into the AFL like Parker then that is how the rookie list should be used. Dumping the likes of Polec and his 700K contract onto a rookie list isn't in the spirit of the design.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really see the point of it anymore. The only benefit I can see is that you don't have to give rookies 2 year contracts (drafted players you do iirc) and you can pay them less.

I'd just combine the two lists, and keep the cat b stuff as a bonus list spot. If player don't want to draft long term projects in their now combined list then thats on them.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    I don't really see the point of it anymore. The only benefit I can see is that you don't have to give rookies 2 year contracts (drafted players you do iirc) and you can pay them less.

I'd just combine the two lists, and keep the cat b stuff as a bonus list spot. If player don't want to draft long term projects in their now combined list then thats on them.
    Exactly but at least the AFL tried to provide an incentive for clubs rather than lose the taller players to other sports. The AFL just allowed clubs the chances to chip away and deviate away from what it was intended for.
    I'd be happy enough if the AFL said here is your salary cap and make sure you have at least 40 players contracted. If you can squeeze in 50 then good luck to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post

Even that's marginal now that the AFL changed the rules and 'mature aged' players can be given 1 year deals.
    Just scrap it, make 4th round+ pick draftee deals one year, and be done with it.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

9. Likes GVGjr, Testekill liked this post