Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  48
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Westernbulldogs - Robbie McComb

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Thinking back on this selection - has the current Covid issue now completely justified this pick?
    It's likely we're going to have players miss games due to Covid (whether a positive RAT or needing to isolate). Robbie is about as 'plug and play' as you can get, being a mature type who can run and knows our system well from his time at Footscray.
    I think he was an excellent selection and he should respond well to being a full time footballer. Adding Parker to the list was also an indication we were probably tight with the salary cap and that we were looking favorably at players who might transition to senior football quickly.
    McNeil and Scott proved their worth last year so hopefully McComb and Parker will as well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes josie, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think he was an excellent selection and he should respond well to being a full time footballer. Adding Parker to the list was also an indication we were probably tight with the salary cap and that we were looking favorably at players who might transition to senior football quickly.
    McNeil and Scott proved their worth last year so hopefully McComb and Parker will as well.
    Agree with everything you've said here.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking back on this selection - has the current Covid issue now completely justified this pick?
    It's likely we're going to have players miss games due to Covid (whether a positive RAT or needing to isolate). Robbie is about as 'plug and play' as you can get, being a mature type who can run and knows our system well from his time at Footscray.
    With some reflection on this and seeing how Covid-19 is running amok I wonder if clubs might be given some additional access to state league players? I hope we have short listed some deserving types in case we get directed to add some players.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    With some reflection on this and seeing how Covid-19 is running amok I wonder if clubs might be given some additional access to state league players? I hope we have short listed some deserving types in case we get directed to add some players.
    I think we'll see as the season pans out. Carlton missed out on SSP access for Jones didn't they?
    The North situation with Jed Anderson looks shaky as well.

The other side of the coin is state leagues wanting to retain their players. They might be just as impacted too and it all could filter down through suburban leagues who may come under even more pressure as the season wears on
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

7. Likes GVGjr, The Bulldogs Bite, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we'll see as the season pans out. Carlton missed out on SSP access for Jones didn't they?
    The North situation with Jed Anderson looks shaky as well.

The other side of the coin is state leagues wanting to retain their players. They might be just as impacted too and it all could filter down through suburban leagues who may come under even more pressure as the season wears on
    At the moment it's hard to see how local leagues get through a season at all.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    At the moment it's hard to see how local leagues get through a season at all.
    Probably helps that this is all happening now but given up trying to make predictions on this.

I think you will lose 50% of local level players if there is any interruption to the season.

10. Likes Testekill, The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Probably helps that this is all happening now but given up trying to make predictions on this.

I think you will lose 50% of local level players if there is any interruption to the season.
    Agreed. Local sport will take a while to recover if it happens (local footy has been on the decline in numbers for a while, even before the pandemic).
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Agreed. Local sport will take a while to recover if it happens (local footy has been on the decline in numbers for a while, even before the pandemic).
    I know last year there were a fair few guys at my club who were barely available because they were not getting paid 'enough' to play poor quality local football , and preferred to do overtime at work. I think the cash side of local footy will be really interesting over the next couple of years, as potentially cash injections from local businesses drop off and the lure of overtime/weekend work increases.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I know last year there were a fair few guys at my club who were barely available because they were not getting paid 'enough' to play poor quality local football , and preferred to do overtime at work. I think the cash side of local footy will be really interesting over the next couple of years, as potentially cash injections from local businesses drop off and the lure of overtime/weekend work increases.
    There is still a mountain of cash being thrown around at the moment. In my experience it is purely putting themselves through the time and effort to then have the season knocked on the head.

Post Thanks / Like

So, where does he play this weekend?
    Good luck to him and he absolutely deserves his opportunity, but he has been playing mostly in the centre at VFL level.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to him and he absolutely deserves his opportunity, but he has been playing mostly in the centre at VFL level.
    I think he can play the wing roll. Has some pace,and knows how to get the ball
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

His ball use in the pre-season was me level so I’m not exactly confident in him handling the swirlier Ballarat conditions. But he’s earned his chance so hopefully he makes the wing his own.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I see him being more of a replacement for Garcia. He brings intensity and attack on the football. His disposal isn't the cleanest so I don't think the wing role is best suited to his skill set.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    I see him being more of a replacement for Garcia. He brings intensity and attack on the football. His disposal isn't the cleanest so I don't think the wing role is best suited to his skill set.
    Ran a bit up and down the wing last week, but his foot skills for short passing were way off with a couple of clangers.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like