Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three more years of Bulldogs in Ballarat

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Are they building a new stand in the south East corner comrade?

Thought I noticed something on a picture which I now can not locate.

Edit : this one.

Actually it looks like some shelter it maybe already was there. (left of image)

Toilet block and entrance/ticketing gate I believe.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Thanks Grantysghost, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Remember it well. I was sitting near Gordo and at 3/4 time both rugged up like Edmund Hillary we shared a moment of eye contact and a synchronised head shake as we lamented the conditions!
    Classic. I had never met Peter.
    Over the 2016/17 summer I saw Gordo sitting by himself at Barker's cafe. I wandered over to where he was and said "A couple of months ago I had the best day of my life. I just wanted to let you know that somewhere, sometime I'm going to sneak up on you and give you a huge man hug for it" He said "that's, ummm, good to know..."
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

4. Likes Bulldog4life, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I really enjoy the venture there and the games even when we had that shocking weather.
    Takes me back to a time when visiting the Western Oval was challenging
    Same, it’s a good change up. Have found a spot we like now which is good too.

That really cold, wet, windy day was one of the coldest days I’ve experienced, full stop. I’ve felt warmer in Nth American winter temperatures well below 0.

Made a few mistakes : wore shorts and Dunlop volleys, no base layer, waterproof jacket was not waterproof, got soaked pre game. If not for the hand warmers and the free blankets they gave out, I am sure I was going to get hypothermia and die, right there!

After the game I stripped down to my jocks, cut a hole in one of those blankets to make a poncho and drove home like that. Glad I didn’t get pulled over !

Post Thanks / Like

The coldest, wettest day at the footy I can remember was at Moorabbin in the early '80s. My two mates and I turned one of those old red coke stands around so we could shelter under it and watch the game. The rain was so heavy and the ground was so waterlogged that Bluey Hampshire had a shot from inside the goalsquare and didn't make the distance. It just rolled off his boot and got stuck in the mud!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

7. Thanks Eastdog, SonofScray thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From Ballarat Council

Strong value in Western Bulldogs partnership

An estimated $11 million in economic benefit has been contributed by visitors attending AFL games in Ballarat since 2017.

This return on investment comes despite the past two AFL seasons being interrupted by COVID-19 restrictions, which saw no matches being played in Ballarat in 2020 and only one in 2021 under capacity restrictions.

The Western Bulldogs inaugural Ballarat home and away match in 2017 saw 10,087 in attendance at an estimated economic benefit of $2.2 million.

Two matches followed in 2018 for a cumulative attendance of 13,283 and $2.89 million return, two matches again in 2019 for 19,969 total attendance and $4.35 million, and finally one match in 2021 with an attendance of 7,340 (capacity limit) and estimated economic benefit of $1.6 million.

It was announced late last month that the City of Ballarat, in conjunction with the State Government, would extend its partnership with the Western Bulldogs through to 2024.

The new deal also includes an AFLW home and away match which will provide the opportunity for the Ballarat community to experience elite women's football.

The new partnership between the City of Ballarat and the Western Bulldogs will see two AFL games, one AFLW game, Sons & Daughters of the West Health Program, Youth Leadership Program and Bulldogs Read Program. The three-year partnership contribution from the City of Ballarat totals $1.375 million.

Mayor, Cr Daniel Moloney said while the two AFL home and away games and one AFLW game are the showpiece of the Western Bulldogs year-round commitment to the City of Ballarat, the partnership goes beyond that.

“We see this partnership as a good return on investment,” Cr Moloney said.

“Not only have we seen five years of elite football played at Mars Stadium, but the Western Bulldogs have delivered community programs, school programs, community engagement and events, male and female grass roots football support and development and a constant presence at the shopfront and office in Mair Street, including local employment.”

Since engagement with the Ballarat region began in 2016, the Western Bulldogs have had meaningful connections with more than 650 participants across its three core programs; Sons of the West (419 men), Daughters of the West (153 women) and Youth Leadership Program (97 young people).

Cr Moloney said the ongoing partnership would also play a strong role in the region’s recovery from COVID-19.

“Broadcasting Western Bulldogs games across Australia also puts us on a national stage and provides significant visitation and tourism to Ballarat,” he said.

“It is also important to acknowledge the State Government's support in this partnership and particularly the investment into stages 1 and 2 of the Mars Stadium redevelopment, which has been instrumental in attracting other major events such as Nitro Circus, A League and Super Rugby events to Ballarat.”

The Western Bulldogs will host Fremantle at Mars Stadium in round 10 of the AFLW in March 2022, with AFL matches to take place in Ballarat in rounds 6 and 10 against Adelaide and Gold Coast respectively.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...sQJryvPZ0_BHtA

And Mars stays as the naming rights sponsor.
    WOOF Member 422

10. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Talk that Mars could host the athletics at the 2026 Commonwealth Games if they go ahead in Victoria. The ground will surely receive some nice upgrades if this eventuates.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Talk that Mars could host the athletics at the 2026 Commonwealth Games if they go ahead in Victoria. The ground will surely receive some nice upgrades if this eventuates.
    That would be huge for the city.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    If they could increase the capacity to around 20k, I think that could also be sustainable for the future.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If they could increase the capacity to around 20k, I think that could also be sustainable for the future.
    That would be a brilliant number but it would need a lot of work.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"