Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Three more years of Bulldogs in Ballarat

link

The Western Bulldogs will remain a strong presence in the Ballarat region for at least the next three years, after agreeing to extend its partnership with the Victorian Government and the City of Ballarat.

The Bulldogs have been committed to Ballarat at many levels for the last six years, with five of those seasons bringing a total of seven AFL games to Mars Stadium so far.

The Club’s partnership extension with the government and City of Ballarat will bring a further two home games per season to the region, until the end of the 2024 season.

And for the first time, the Club will host an AFLW home-and-away game at Mars Stadium in 2022 as part of a separate arrangement with the City of Ballarat.

Details of that game will be revealed when the League unveils its fixture for the upcoming season.

The Bulldogs’ presence in Ballarat has been as much about bringing elite sport to the region, as it has been about ensuring the Club makes a tangible impact in the community.

Since the beginning of the partnership the Bulldogs have been embedded in Ballarat schools with the Bulldogs Read program proving to be a resounding success, and it has extended its renowned Sons of the West and Daughters of the West programs, and the Youth Leadership Project, into the region.

“We’ve enjoyed an incredibly strong partnership with the Victorian Government and the City of Ballarat over the last six years,” said Bulldogs’ CEO Ameet Bains.

“Ballarat (and the broader region) is our second home, and we are both proud and excited to extend our formal partnership for at least a further three years and honour our long-term commitment to the region.

“Not only has the partnership successfully brought official AFL games to Ballarat’s Mars Stadium, but it has also actively supported visitation to the region and assisted in the facilitation of the Bulldogs’ extensive range of community, school and junior football programs.

“We look forward to now hosting both AFL and AFLW home and away games at Mars Stadium in 2022 and beyond, which will reinforce our year-round presence in Ballarat.

“We would like to thank the State Government and the City of Ballarat for their continued support, and their investment in the sustainability of this long-term partnership.”

State Government Member for Wendouree, Juliana Addison, said: "We’re really excited about this new partnership with the Western Bulldogs – it’s a fantastic result for the Ballarat community and a big win for regional Victoria.

“These games are set to attract thousands of Doggie fans to Mars Stadium and will help to support local jobs and the economy.”

City of Ballarat Mayor, Cr Daniel Moloney said: “It’s because of this significant partnership with the Western Bulldogs that we can continue to deliver the excitement of AFL and AFLW matches in Ballarat, as well as the range of terrific programs like Sons and Daughters of the West and Bulldogs Read, which make a genuine positive impact on the people of Ballarat.

“We're proud that Mars Stadium’s playing surface has been rated one of the best in the country – a fact that's to the enormous credit of the City of Ballarat staff who carefully maintain this facility throughout the year and the ongoing support of the State Government.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three more years of Bulldogs in Ballarat

I thought a longer deal would probably be struck, but given that at this stage the Andrews government is likely to be re-elected in 12 months time, a further extension shouldn't be an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    I thought a longer deal would probably be struck, but given that at this stage the Andrews government is likely to be re-elected in 12 months time, a further extension shouldn't be an issue.
    An extension of the agreement should not be an issue, regardless of the election.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    An extension of the agreement should not be an issue, regardless of the election.
    The Baillieu government did not support the construction of the stadium which led to North looking to Hobart whilst I have never seen any indication of any Conservative support for funding AFL matches there.

I'm very happy to be wrong about the latter; have you heard or read that they will?

5. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to be in Ballarat another three years as we build our membership in the west of Victoria.

I actually enjoy going to games there, it is slowly becoming a fortress for us.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Good to be in Ballarat another three years as we build our membership in the west of Victoria.

I actually enjoy going to games there, it is slowly becoming a fortress for us.
    I really enjoy the venture there and the games even when we had that shocking weather.
    Takes me back to a time when visiting the Western Oval was challenging
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I really enjoy the venture there and the games even when we had that shocking weather.
    Takes me back to a time when visiting the Western Oval was challenging
    That was the only one I missed there

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That was the only one I missed there
    At the first quarter there were 12 seats taken were I was sitting, 2nd quarter down to about 9. 3rd quarter time 5 and just Michael Rowland I were there from the 5 minute mark on the last quarter. Walked out after the game and there wasn't many on the buses back to the train station.
    A lot of people packed it in.

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At the first quarter there were 12 seats taken were I was sitting, 2nd quarter down to about 9. 3rd quarter time 5 and just Michael Rowland I were there from the 5 minute mark on the last quarter. Walked out after the game and there wasn't many on the buses back to the train station.
    Remember it well. I was sitting near Gordo and at 3/4 time both rugged up like Edmund Hillary we shared a moment of eye contact and a synchronised head shake as we lamented the conditions!
    Classic. I had never met Peter.

13. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    The Baillieu government did not support the construction of the stadium which led to North looking to Hobart whilst I have never seen any indication of any Conservative support for funding AFL matches there.

I'm very happy to be wrong about the latter; have you heard or read that they will?
    Since it has been built, there will be support for its use. Further upgrades may be problematic, but it was a conservative government that funded Whitten Oval development.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

15. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Since it has been built, there will be support for its use. Further upgrades may be problematic, but it was a conservative government that funded Whitten Oval development.
    If we can grow our membership maybe 3 more years might just about see it through unless they can increase the capacity to about 16K

Post Thanks / Like

My son (who was 4 at the time) lasted 15 minutes before his mum got the call to come and get him. Thankfully, it’s only a 5 minute drive!

Even as a Ballarat native, that one was an absolute shocker.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

18. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    My son (who was 4 at the time) lasted 15 minutes before his mum got the call to come and get him. Thankfully, it’s only a 5 minute drive!

Even as a Ballarat native, that one was an absolute shocker.
    Are they building a new stand in the south East corner comrade?

Thought I noticed something on a picture which I now can not locate.

Edit : this one.

Actually it looks like some shelter it maybe already was there. (left of image)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Are they building a new stand in the south East corner comrade?

Thought I noticed something on a picture which I now can not locate.

Edit : this one.

Actually it looks like some shelter it maybe already was there. (left of image)

I think that is part of this upgrade:

Improvement upgrades to Mars Stadium to improving user experience will include:

- upgrading the Stadium’s entrances including Entrance 2, ticket boxes, and covered entry area to Gate 1,
    - building additional accessible toilets to reduce the need for temporary toilets on match days,
    - improving disability access to seating in the Western and Eastern Stands of the Stadium,
    - improved spectator standing areas to include viewing berms with formalised terracing,
    - ensure the existing changerooms are female friendly compliant, and
    - create permanent food and beverage areas.

Link

Post Thanks / Like

Ah thanks Axe.