Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  62
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where does our improvement come from in 2022?

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    That seems a bit harsh. If we played Marra and Sweet would we have even made the GF? In what they showed, the MC had evidence they weren’t quite ready. We had one hand on a premiership cup half way through the GF so must have been doing a LOT right.
    We played Lewis Young as our ruckman in the last few H&A games and 2 finals. We still would have made the GF with Sweet playing those games, and even better he’d have more experience under his belt heading into 2022 rather than those minutes being pissed away on a bloke that a) isn’t even a ruckman and b) already had a foot out the door.

One of the more baffling MC decisions of the last 5 years.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    We played Lewis Young as our ruckman in the last few H&A games and 2 finals. We still would have made the GF with Sweet playing those games, and even better he’d have more experience under his belt heading into 2022 rather than those minutes being pissed away on a bloke that a) isn’t even a ruckman and b) already had a foot out the door.

One of the more baffling MC decisions of the last 5 years.
    So says you. He could have completely shat the bed in all, one or many of those games and you'd be singing a different tune. He was crap in the VFL after he got dropped, why would he have been better and more complimentary to our prospects of winning a flag in 2021 by just having games gifted to him?

He wasn't played, we made a grand final but fell short, it happens. I don't look at the MC and think if they had have just played Jordan Sweet a bit more we'd have been so much better off, this year and next. I don't know how anyone could think that, if that actually is what you're thinking.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

A short answer to the OP, we get better with a bit more experience within the bracket of players 22-39 who carried a huge load this year, hopefully not having to play these players so much, and hopefully from a group of midfielders who may be held accountable for their opponents at stoppages under a new regime.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    So says you. He could have completely shat the bed in all, one or many of those games and you'd be singing a different tune. He was crap in the VFL after he got dropped, why would he have been better and more complimentary to our prospects of winning a flag in 2021 by just having games gifted to him?

He wasn't played, we made a grand final but fell short, it happens. I don't look at the MC and think if they had have just played Jordan Sweet a bit more we'd have been so much better off, this year and next. I don't know how anyone could think that, if that actually is what you're thinking.
    Sorry Comrade, that's come off particularly harsh.

Post Thanks / Like

Young was very ordinary in both the finals he played.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He's not a ruckman at AFL level - and our cupboard was so bare we had to try and make him one.

It makes our failure to land a ruck at trade time even more damning.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He's not a ruckman at AFL level - and our cupboard was so bare we had to try and make him one.

It makes our failure to land a ruck at trade time even more damning.
    Agree, I only ever saw him as a backman.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is about improving in 2022.

My point wasn’t that playing Sweet would have improved us in 2021 (though Young was effectively such a non-factor in the ruck that Sweet at his worst wouldn’t have been any sort of downgrade imo).

My point is that playing him instead of Lewis Young would certainly have reaped more benefits for us next year (more AFL experience rather than rotting away in intra scratch matches), I don’t know how anyone could argue against that.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

He was a complete non-factor. A traffic cone would have had similar output.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree, I only ever saw him as a backman.
    Early on he actually played a couple of decent VFL games forward too - one particular game at Williamstown he moved and presented well at CHF and chopped out in the ruck.

He had talent and I wouldn't begrudge him playing a lot of AFL football. I don't think he had that real 'grit' you need to be a KPD though. Keath has it, Cordy has mongrel, and Gardner is a training animal who hates being beaten. Lewy just didn't seem to have quite the same 'hate' of getting beaten.

Post Thanks / Like

The GF memory of Langdon tearing us to shreds in the last 1/4 and a half with NO competition still haunts. We need speed on the flanks, Garcia, Vandermeer, Treloar, Smith, McNeil.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    The GF memory of Langdon tearing us to shreds in the last 1/4 and a half with NO competition still haunts. We need speed on the flanks, Garcia, Vandermeer, Treloar, Smith, McNeil.
    It's not so much speed that is Langdon's go, but endurance. He'd be in the top handful of gut runners in the competition.
    We have one player who could possibly run with him, Hunter.

Post Thanks / Like

Improvement for 2022 will come from the younger players having more experience - Marra, Weightman, VDM, Garcia, Gardner, Naughton and the addition of O'Brien. Tim with another year under his belt, hopefully a full season of Treloar, Dunks to help in the middle and a more settled backline.
    And don't forget Bazlenka. He went to an extra level in the finals. Imagine that level coupled with consistency across the season!
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    And don't forget Bazlenka. He went to an extra level in the finals. Imagine that level coupled with consistency across the season!
    Yes, of course. Just turned 21, so still very young.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    His role seemed to change late in the season which was a big help too?
    Perhaps playing him in that high forward - up to the contest - gut run towards goal role will give us an edge during the season.

17. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post