Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  62
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where does our improvement come from in 2022?

Forward line improvement comes from Naughts kicking a bit straighter, Marra getting more game time, and English continuing to build his forward craft.

We need more speed in the front half still - JJ and Baz help, I wonder if Dom or someone else also finds a place?

Garcia and McNeil the other two I’m interested to see how high their ceiling is and how quickly they can get to it. Both added a bit at various stages but need to add a few more strings to become career players.

2. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not particularly worried about our forward half. They can score if we give them the footy enough. There's no doubt we can be better if players capitlise on opportunities more, and some players get involved more thoroughly.

What I really hope to see is our defencive unit take a step up with some maturity/ experience into Gardner, Williams and Dale, and a different mindset and approach/ mix to our cookie cutter midfield who are all really good when it's going their way but not so great if it isn't.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes josie, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'm not particularly worried about our forward half. They can score if we give them the footy enough. There's no doubt we can be better if players capitlise on opportunities more, and some players get involved more thoroughly.

What I really hope to see is our defencive unit take a step up with some maturity/ experience into Gardner, Williams and Dale, and a different mindset and approach/ mix to our cookie cutter midfield who are all really good when it's going their way but not so great if it isn't.
    I'm worried Dale will regress into old habits. He wasn't great in a couple of games against Melbourne and fluffed his lines a number of times especially early.

With the midfield I'm unsure how you change the mindset, especially if by all accounts we are not going to review the 3rd quarter onslaught in the GF.

It is really hard to be enthused with 2022 considering how we ended 2021 on such an embarrassing note - and we will continued to be reminded of it during 2022.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    It is really hard to be enthused with 2022 considering how we ended 2021 on such an embarrassing note - and we will continued to be reminded of it during 2022.
    Come on aza, this doesn't sound like you.

We had a solid to great year in trying circumstances, made a grand final (which ten years ago we would have sold our grandmothers just to achieve) and were a goal or two from running away with it.

Yeah from that point on we were summarily outplayed but I would hope the feeling of being so close and still so far would burn in our players.

I'm the opposite of you. I'm optimistic about this year.
    "It's over. It's all over."

7. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post

We had a solid to great year in trying circumstances, made a grand final (which ten years ago we would have sold our grandmothers just to achieve) and were a goal or two from running away with it.

Yeah from that point on we were summarily outplayed but I would hope the feeling of being so close and still so far would burn in our players.

I am also optimistic. The one thing I am certain of is that the captain is always seeking to improve and I am sure there will be more than a few players following his example.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

9. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post

Excellent stuff EW, I am with you all the way.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jesus Aza. We dug deep with a young group to make a grand final against pretty tough odds, and came up against an opponent that had more tickets, were more settled and played out of their skins on the day.

I reckon with some things going our way we have a bit to look forward to.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Just finished watching again the finals match against Brisbane. What a game. Great finish....well for us anyway.

14. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Well, in terms of GF thumpings you have to go back to 83 to find a team that took the next step.
    Yes we were 19 points up in the third, but we got smashed in the ruck, our mids were out of position, and we didn't add any further ruck support, so...

2007 Grandfinal

Geelong / Port ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dukedog View Post
    2007 Grandfinal

Geelong / Port ?
    Port Adelaide missed the finals in 2008.
    That's why you have to go back to 1983 - teams that get smashed in Grand Finals generally regress (badly) the following season.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Port Adelaide missed the finals in 2008.
    That's why you have to go back to 1983 - teams that get smashed in Grand Finals generally regress (badly) the following season.
    That's just another record the doggies can break.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    That's just another record the doggies can break.
    Yeah... I mean, we only regress badly when we WIN GFs... getting pumped almost guarantees us this year's flag!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Yeah... I mean, we only regress badly when we WIN GFs... getting pumped almost guarantees us this year's flag!
    I wouldn't be looking to history as a guide for us. It is not pretty.

After previous GF loss it took another 55 years to get to another GF.

That is not history to repeat.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I wouldn't be looking to history as a guide for us. It is not pretty.

After previous GF loss it took another 55 years to get to another GF.

That is not history to repeat.
    If Bevo coaches us to a finals victory this season, that means he'll have coached 8 of 15 finals wins in our VFL/AFL history. I'm not sure any other coach (apart from expansion sides) can boast anything like that record.

I criticise some aspects of Bevo too but let's not forget he's the greatest coach in our history and will absolutely retire as an icon of the club. If any team can defy history, it's going to be one coached by Bevo.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

21. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If Bevo coaches us to a finals victory this season, that means he'll have coached 8 of 15 finals wins in our VFL/AFL history. I'm not sure any other coach (apart from expansion sides) can boast anything like that record.
    We've actually won 21 finals, but yes it is still a big chunk.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/coaches/bullldogs.html

23. Likes Mofra liked this post