Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  49
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 68
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,474
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where does our improvement come from in 2022?

    I feel another area of improvement will come if we actually have a VFL competition underway. This will benefit all teams, but we were particularly disadvantaged because of our long injury list. The conversation about whether to play Sweet or Young, or Rhylee West for that matter, would be different if we knew how they were performing at that level, plus thereíd be the opportunity for those guys to work on weaknesses or what the match committee asked of them. I donít think Dunkley or Treloar hit their straps properly either and VFL hit outs would have helped in that cause too.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mulligan's Boogie-board
    Posts
    11,518
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where does our improvement come from in 2022?

    Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I feel another area of improvement will come if we actually have a VFL competition underway. This will benefit all teams, but we were particularly disadvantaged because of our long injury list. The conversation about whether to play Sweet or Young, or Rhylee West for that matter, would be different if we knew how they were performing at that level, plus there’d be the opportunity for those guys to work on weaknesses or what the match committee asked of them. I don’t think Dunkley or Treloar hit their straps properly either and VFL hit outs would have helped in that cause too.
    Yes that helps... us, and perhaps everyone else.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

  3. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
  4. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    30,792
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where does our improvement come from in 2022?

    Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I feel another area of improvement will come if we actually have a VFL competition underway. This will benefit all teams, but we were particularly disadvantaged because of our long injury list. The conversation about whether to play Sweet or Young, or Rhylee West for that matter, would be different if we knew how they were performing at that level, plus there’d be the opportunity for those guys to work on weaknesses or what the match committee asked of them. I don’t think Dunkley or Treloar hit their straps properly either and VFL hit outs would have helped in that cause too.
    We will get improvement from that and you would have to think that applies to most other teams that were prominent in the 8 last year. Port might be the exception

    I'm hoping improvement comes from the exposure that the likes of McNeil and Scott had in the seniors and a break out year for Roarke Smith will all start to pay bigger dividends for us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mulligan's Boogie-board
    Posts
    11,518
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where does our improvement come from in 2022?

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We will get improvement from that and you would have to think that applies to most other teams that were prominent in the 8 last year. Port might be the exception

    I'm hoping improvement comes from the exposure that the likes of McNeil and Scott had in the seniors and a break out year for Roarke Smith will all start to pay bigger dividends for us.
    I'm not sure asking the 17th, 18th, 19th guys selected to be the driver of change and improvement is generally that successful.

    If I'm going to pin hope on anyone in the 22 to improve us, there are two players that just have to lift:

    1. Dunkley needs to get back to his pre-shoulder injury form. We lost him for a chunk of the year and with his form on return he was probably a bit lucky to keep his spot. His first month or so was sublime, and I expect Libba to be managed through this year. Dunkley has to step up. We know his best is simply outstanding, A-grade good.

    2. English. Martin's cooked and Sweet is raw. Our entire list management strategy seems to be 'hope like hell Timmy breaks out' and as much as I think he's a better no 2 ruck, the club don't seem to see it that way.

    Cody's interrupted pre-season means he may miss a few games early in the year just as he did in 2021, and Marra will be incredible for us but not in 2022 as he still develops. We had a few players have outstanding years that may not back it up as they had one out of the box (can Libba's body hold up, and can Bailey Dale back it up?)
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

  6. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
  7. #35
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    9,303
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where does our improvement come from in 2022?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'm not sure asking the 17th, 18th, 19th guys selected to be the driver of change and improvement is generally that successful.

    If I'm going to pin hope on anyone in the 22 to improve us, there are two players that just have to lift:

    1. Dunkley needs to get back to his pre-shoulder injury form. We lost him for a chunk of the year and with his form on return he was probably a bit lucky to keep his spot. His first month or so was sublime, and I expect Libba to be managed through this year. Dunkley has to step up. We know his best is simply outstanding, A-grade good.

    2. English. Martin's cooked and Sweet is raw. Our entire list management strategy seems to be 'hope like hell Timmy breaks out' and as much as I think he's a better no 2 ruck, the club don't seem to see it that way.

    Cody's interrupted pre-season means he may miss a few games early in the year just as he did in 2021, and Marra will be incredible for us but not in 2022 as he still develops. We had a few players have outstanding years that may not back it up as they had one out of the box (can Libba's body hold up, and can Bailey Dale back it up?)
    Bevo may move some interesting chairs around. Dale to the backline as an example.
    Our 2016 premiership team had plenty of those types of moves.
    "We've got to be good in the phone box, and good in the tardis" - Pearls of wisdom from Luke Beveridge.

  8. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Flemington
    Posts
    3,023
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where does our improvement come from in 2022?

    Health and durability of the list. A small increase in this department, be it through luck or improved management goes a long way.

    The ruck scenario. Either Sweet takes a huge leap, English finds that more consistent, competitive edge or Stef stays fitter for longer.

    VDM in and progressing is really important from the perspective of physical, high octane pressure into our forward play. Need to start seeing that brand of footy emerge across more youngsters. Can’t just be Libba holding the rough and tumble side of the game on his shoulders. Laitham can really blaze a trail.

    Quick adjustments to tactical changes from the opposition. Can’t have these wild swings in momentum. Cost us a flag.

  9. Likes Mofra, The Bulldogs Bite, josie liked this post
  10. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mulligan's Boogie-board
    Posts
    11,518
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where does our improvement come from in 2022?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Bevo may move some interesting chairs around. Dale to the backline as an example.
    Our 2016 premiership team had plenty of those types of moves.
    Are there many moves left to make? Our backline is probably more settled now than it has been previously. Perhaps a Richards swap for Doc if Doc cops an injury.
    Hunter rotating HF during the finals series was an interesting one. Roarke as a defensive wing might be seen a bit more this year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

  11. #38
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    9,303
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where does our improvement come from in 2022?

    You're a general in an army, outnumbered or outgunned. The only way is to make the most of what you have, one game at a time. Break even or win in each position across the ground.

    We are winning in most areas. Ruck is a concern. Have to find a way.
    "We've got to be good in the phone box, and good in the tardis" - Pearls of wisdom from Luke Beveridge.

  12. Likes EasternWest liked this post
  13. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mulligan's Boogie-board
    Posts
    11,518
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where does our improvement come from in 2022?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    You're a general in an army, outnumbered or outgunned. The only way is to make the most of what you have, one game at a time. Break even or win in each position across the ground.

    We are winning in most areas. Ruck is a concern. Have to find a way.
    The history of the 'oblique order' finally overcoming the dominance of the phalanx (which was the military orthodoxy of the time) might be applicable here.

    You need to be ahead of the curve in something.
    In 2016 we jumped the comp with 'handball club' until the competition caught up.

    After that Richmond dumped some talented blokes in the front half for pressure animals, loaded up the backline with a 7 or 8 man defence at times, and jumped the competition.

    Hawks previously did it with sublime left-foot kicks.

    Where is our advantage? The only real one I can see is a midfield that bats so deep we play 1-2 genuine talents at HF and push them up to the contest (a la Bailey Smith late in the year).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

  14. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    50,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where does our improvement come from in 2022?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The history of the 'oblique order' finally overcoming the dominance of the phalanx (which was the military orthodoxy of the time) might be applicable here.

    You need to be ahead of the curve in something.
    In 2016 we jumped the comp with 'handball club' until the competition caught up.

    After that Richmond dumped some talented blokes in the front half for pressure animals, loaded up the backline with a 7 or 8 man defence at times, and jumped the competition.

    Hawks previously did it with sublime left-foot kicks.

    Where is our advantage? The only real one I can see is a midfield that bats so deep we play 1-2 genuine talents at HF and push them up to the contest (a la Bailey Smith late in the year).
    Another advantage we have had is our marking power up forward - thanks to Naughton and Bruce. We have been number one for marks inside 50 with Naughton the king of contested marks.

    With Bruce gone we need to make sure anything Naughton doesn't mark, the ball is scraped up by Cody, VDN, McSteel etc.

    PS: Bevo has publicly stated, Richmond took our game plan and went one better.
    FFC: Established 1877

    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  15. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where does our improvement come from in 2022?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    It's not so much speed that is Langdon's go, but endurance. He'd be in the top handful of gut runners in the competition.
    We have one player who could possibly run with him, Hunter.
    Yes you are right about Langdon's gut running but he is also quick imo. My recollection of the GF was that Hunter was going up and down in the one spot while Melbourne tore us apart.

  16. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    9,260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where does our improvement come from in 2022?

    I’m really intrigued to see how our backline structures up. It’s going to have a different look, and losing the on-field leadership Wood provides is a big one in my book (albeit he wasn’t playing as well as he did in peak years of course).

    B: Richards, Keath, Gardner
    HB: Dale, O’Brien, Williams

    Is probably how I’d go, with Duryea in the starting 22, along with Daniel, who can play through those spots.

    If we can get the balance right between shutdown, intercept, field coverage and how we transition, this group has the tools and versatility to be impactful.

    Schache the other one I’m really interested in. While his body work isn’t great, he reads the play well, can run all day, and he uses the ball very well for a big man. It would be great to see him given a role down back, but I wonder if he ends up more spare parts than a defined backline role? Bruce injury and likely need for a ~15% second ruck at stages may end up his go.
    Woof.

  17. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
  18. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    30,792
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where does our improvement come from in 2022?

    Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    I’m really intrigued to see how our backline structures up. It’s going to have a different look, and losing the on-field leadership Wood provides is a big one in my book (albeit he wasn’t playing as well as he did in peak years of course).

    B: Richards, Keath, Gardner
    HB: Dale, O’Brien, Williams

    Is probably how I’d go, with Duryea in the starting 22, along with Daniel, who can play through those spots.

    If we can get the balance right between shutdown, intercept, field coverage and how we transition, this group has the tools and versatility to be impactful.

    Schache the other one I’m really interested in. While his body work isn’t great, he reads the play well, can run all day, and he uses the ball very well for a big man. It would be great to see him given a role down back, but I wonder if he ends up more spare parts than a defined backline role? Bruce injury and likely need for a ~15% second ruck at stages may end up his go.
    Same here GD, so many genuine options to play in our back 6 or 7 even 8.
    How we use O'Brien is the real starting point.
    If it's as a 3rd tall then we compromise a bit of run that has been a priority for us over a long time.
    If it's more as a 2nd tall then I think if leaves us exposed as being undermanned which would require Williams to play tall again.

    I like your back 6 but I don't think Richards plays there at the expense of Duryea or Daniel unless we are intending to move Daniel or even Williams into the midfield. Duryea is the best equipped at manning up against the better genuine opposition smaller forwards.
    Cordy and Gardner have a bit to prove and will be fighting it out with O'Brien to fill two spots in partnering Keath.

    From a depth perspective we have Crozier, Khamis and Butler around the mark.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where does our improvement come from in 2022?

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Same here GD, so many genuine options to play in our back 6 or 7 even 8.
    How we use O'Brien is the real starting point.
    If it's as a 3rd tall then we compromise a bit of run that has been a priority for us over a long time.
    If it's more as a 2nd tall then I think if leaves us exposed as being undermanned which would require Williams to play tall again.

    I like your back 6 but I don't think Richards plays there at the expense of Duryea or Daniel unless we are intending to move Daniel or even Williams into the midfield. Duryea is the best equipped at manning up against the better genuine opposition smaller forwards.
    Cordy and Gardner have a bit to prove and will be fighting it out with O'Brien to fill two spots in partnering Keath.

    From a depth perspective we have Crozier, Khamis and Butler around the mark.
    I think we really need Gardi to come on. He has a lot of attributes and if he can stay on the park he’ll keep getting better. He was much better this season than last, so if he can continue the improvement trend he’ll be a lock 22.

  20. Likes GVGjr liked this post
  21. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Eastern suburbs
    Posts
    1,901
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where does our improvement come from in 2022?

    T
    Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Iím really intrigued to see how our backline structures up. Itís going to have a different look, and losing the on-field leadership Wood provides is a big one in my book (albeit he wasnít playing as well as he did in peak years of course).

    B: Richards, Keath, Gardner
    HB: Dale, OíBrien, Williams

    Is probably how Iíd go, with Duryea in the starting 22, along with Daniel, who can play through those spots.

    If we can get the balance right between shutdown, intercept, field coverage and how we transition, this group has the tools and versatility to be impactful.

    Schache the other one Iím really interested in. While his body work isnít great, he reads the play well, can run all day, and he uses the ball very well for a big man. It would be great to see him given a role down back, but I wonder if he ends up more spare parts than a defined backline role? Bruce injury and likely need for a ~15% second ruck at stages may end up his go.
    I agree with your thinking on defence. Would like to see Duryea Dunkley and Wallis played as forwards. Our attack was palpably weak in the GF. Also would like to see Daniel move into the midfield where his better disposal would lift our forward line. Wallis to play a tagging role to offset the dominance of Oliver. Prefer to see English as a key forward, with Sweet in the ruck. VDM to play given our lack of leg speed against Melbourne.

  22. Likes GVGjr liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •