Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  62
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where does our improvement come from in 2022?

I like the idea of Schache back, but the more I look at our structure, the more I'm convinced we need him forward.

We have a lot of forwards who like to jump - Naughton, Hannan, Weightman. We don't have many who crumb (JJ is improving) or lead (Bruce is a huge out). Schache proved in last year's finals series he can stick to a defensive minded role v the best intercept defenders, which is important in big games. We also know he can present an option on the lead.

With Keath, Gardner, O'Brien and Cordy I think that's enough defensive cover (albeit it is shaky).
    W00F!

2. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    We definitely need another key forward. Schache or O'Brien for mine.
    Agreed but in the interim we need to have a better plan of bringing the ball in and forward craft. There were occasions the other night against Brisbane where Naughton was up against 3 defenders and we still popped it high to him hoping that he'll take the mark (even though he is more than capable). Lower the eyes and look for the spare.

I'm no coach but I see that our forward line congested most of the time. Obviously this is the defensive tactic used to limit our scoring and we do it as well. But why do we also congest our own forward line. If we push our numbers forward, naturally our opponents follow them in. If we don't press so high we give ourselves some space and we also wont be so susceptible to a counter attack and get scored over the back. If our backline was our strength yeah press a little higher, but its not. However, I reiterate that I'm no coach or tactician and these are novice opinions from my couch!
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I like the idea of Schache back, but the more I look at our structure, the more I'm convinced we need him forward.

We have a lot of forwards who like to jump - Naughton, Hannan, Weightman. We don't have many who crumb (JJ is improving) or lead (Bruce is a huge out). Schache proved in last year's finals series he can stick to a defensive minded role v the best intercept defenders, which is important in big games. We also know he can present an option on the lead.

With Keath, Gardner, O'Brien and Cordy I think that's enough defensive cover (albeit it is shaky).
    I think it's probably the best suggestion while we don't have Bruce but it all might hinge on O'Brien's availability.
    In the first two games both Melbourne and Carlton have key forwards who can test us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Schache could be a 100+ game defender for us though, not confident saying that about any of the others.

It’s a tough one because our forward structure looked one dimensional so far, however English is a natural on the lead and so is Cody, who despite his size plays more like a medium forward.

I’d rather sure up our back six and win with weight of numbers / midfielders kicking goals than ruin our best chance to develop a strong backline built on 2 key position players who can run, jump and kick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    There were occasions the other night against Brisbane where Naughton was up against 3 defenders
    One of my biggest criticism's of Naughton is he doesn't lead enough to get away from the defenders. Maybe the forward line is too congested to lead? I don't know, but he can't expect to take the big speccy every time. He needs to move around alot more.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    One of my biggest criticism's of Naughton is he doesn't lead enough to get away from the defenders. Maybe the forward line is too congested to lead? I don't know, but he can't expect to take the big speccy every time. He needs to move around alot more.
    Interesting, the commentators on Friday were lauding his repeat leading.

I have barely seen him play forward live, so I don't really know what he does.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

He spilled a couple of marks on the lead due to what appeared to be because he rushed the contest. He needs to lead more than just rely on his pack marking exciting as it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Interesting, the commentators on Friday were lauding his repeat leading.

I have barely seen him play forward live, so I don't really know what he does.
    I guess I am basing my observations on last year.

Bruce is a great lead, and maybe the plan last year was Bruce to lead, and Naughton stay deep. We need to figure this out for this year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it is rocket science.

Naughton and Schache forward with (take your pick) from JUH, Hannan, Cordy or O'Brien for 3rd tall support.
    Keath and Gardner back with (take your pick) from Cordy or O'Brien for defensive marking support.

With Bruce out this just seems so simple to me right now. With Cordy, he's an effort based player so I could care less if he plays forward or back. I think Martin forward is foolish but English is a nice forward wild-card. I *COULD* get behind English and Naughton forward with Schache and Keath back (Gardner in support) IF we think Martin or Sweet can play ruck for 'most' of the game. I personally don't but if they can, that works.

In that scenario, Martin/Sweet rest ON THE BENCH - NOT in the forward line.

On a positive note, JJ seems to be getting the hang of playing forward, Weightman is down there...Adding another couple of scrappers to the mix is probably not what I would like but - given the volume of entries we are getting, should be enough. Simply can't have anyone who lacks leg speed or cannot apply pressure.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Naughton’s best football was played when Bruce was playing who became our best goal kicker.
    We need English to become our second key forward before Bruce returns.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I don't think it is rocket science.

Naughton and Schache forward with (take your pick) from JUH, Hannan, Cordy or O'Brien for 3rd tall support.
    Keath and Gardner back with (take your pick) from Cordy or O'Brien for defensive marking support.

With Bruce out this just seems so simple to me right now. With Cordy, he's an effort based player so I could care less if he plays forward or back. I think Martin forward is foolish but English is a nice forward wild-card. I *COULD* get behind English and Naughton forward with Schache and Keath back (Gardner in support) IF we think Martin or Sweet can play ruck for 'most' of the game. I personally don't but if they can, that works.

In that scenario, Martin/Sweet rest ON THE BENCH - NOT in the forward line.

On a positive note, JJ seems to be getting the hang of playing forward, Weightman is down there...Adding another couple of scrappers to the mix is probably not what I would like but - given the volume of entries we are getting, should be enough. Simply can't have anyone who lacks leg speed or cannot apply pressure.
    Yeah, what Jeemak said!

Well not quite, you did call out O'Brien and Cordy as being potential forward players and I don't think that should happen - but it might. The reason I don't think it should happen is because I think we are at a point in our development where we know what we are and need to start being as predictable and tight as we can. Sure, day by day, week by week circumstances present themselves and need to be adapted to but I think we know where everyone best fits now.

Bruce being out forces our hand a bit with Schache who is an unknown in defence, but a relative known as a forward. To me he is the most logical replacement for Bruce because he can cover a lot of ground and can get on the end of a few and finish well.

All feedback I've had from Hawks supporters is consistent in that they think O'Brien just needs to be played behind the footy. I agree Cordy is an effort player and that's why I like him ready to be put into the backline if a couple of others aren't doing what they should be doing. We know Cordy will try, and can tackle. He has his downsides but I think they're exaggerated around here, and we sometimes forget that AFL forwards are hard to defend and teams are good at getting the footy into their hands (if it wasn't that way no goals would be kicked).

Agree with your comments on JJ. He just needs to make sure he chases and chases game in and game out, not sporadically. I worry about VDM, but absolutely love Weightman who was really trying to do the right things Friday but was clearly behind in his preparation.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

What makes posters thinks Schache can now play as a forward?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    What makes posters thinks Schache can now play as a forward?
    His form last season was OK. Playing a season as a defender might be good for his development but we do have a gap up forward at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    That we played Bont forward shows why the Cordy experiment is going to be one we (perhaps unfortunately) have to persist with throughout 2022. At least until we’re confident that a JUH/Hannan combo can get it done alongside Naughts.
    What does Cordy offer as a forward? Besides giving a contest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    What does Cordy offer as a forward? Besides giving a contest.
    He offers a scenario where he is not giving away frees in defence.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right