Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6
    Post Thanks / Like

How Beveridge changed the game for afl coaches

Link

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has changed the game for his AFL coaching counterparts.

That’s according to Bulldogs champion Luke Darcy, who praised his former teammate’s coaching style that brought immediate success to the club – including a drought-breaking premiership in his just his second season at the helm in 2016.

Since his appointment for the 2015 season, Beveridge has guided the Dogs to two Grand Finals and five finals campaigns, transforming the club’s fortunes after three difficult seasons under Brendan McCartney.

Prior to joining the Bulldogs, the 51-year-old coached the St Bedes/Mentone Tigers to three consecutive VAFA premierships, was a player development manager at Collingwood and an assistant coach under Alastair Clarkson at Hawthorn.

“I’ve had the great pleasure of knowing him (Beveridge) for a long period of time,” Darcy told SEN SA Breakfast.

“I think he changed the whole game for AFL coaches in the way he went about it.

“We were told that we weren’t allowed to celebrate until you win a premiership. For those who didn’t – Coons (Adam Cooney) and I – that’s a long career. Nathan Buckley said when he retired that he never had an enjoyable moment because he was waiting to win a flag, that’s a pretty sad 15 years of your career.

“Whereas ‘Bevo’ tipped a lot of those things upside down. You should celebrate every little moment; you’ve got to celebrate when you win and be unashamed about that and the language used and the care for his players.

“It’s been a bit of a cliché now almost, you’ve got to have empathy and you’ve got to be vulnerable, he (Beveridge) just did that naturally.

“I think it’s changed the way coaches go about it.”

Entering his eighth season at Whitten Oval, Beveridge and the Bulldogs are eyeing another premiership tilt after falling short in this year’s Grand Final.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks azabob, jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How beveridge changed the game for afl coaches

Good point in life in general. You have to enjoy the moment. It’s important to keep things in perspective and not go overboard in celebrations but you need to celebrate even the little wins appropriately. It’s like some people (Leigh Matthews I’m looking at you) seem to get jealous or offended seeing others happy after doing some good work. Tall poppy syndrome maybe. I have no issues with the way we celebrated the prelim win. Again, it just needs to be done in perspective to the grand scheme of things.

4. Likes bornadog, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Beveridge changed the game for afl coaches

Sing while your winning.

We aren't good at that as dogs fans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Sing while your winning.

We aren't good at that as dogs fans.
    Am guilty of this.

In saying that, is it too much to ask for a sustained period of success, something which the club has not experienced since the VFA Days?

I know the Draft and Salary Cap makes this harder in the modern day and I totally understand you have to celebrate the wins but we need to focus on the bigger prize with this squad. A fine line I know.

7. Likes Grantysghost, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WBFC4FFC View Post
    Am guilty of this.

In saying that, is it too much to ask for a sustained period of success, something which the club has not experienced since the VFA Days?

I know the Draft and Salary Cap makes this harder in the modern day and I totally understand you have to celebrate the wins but we need to focus on the bigger prize with this squad. A fine line I know.
    No, we should have achieved that in 2017 and 2018. Not saying we would have won a flag but top 5 for sure.
    We have a great midfield and some exciting forwards so our time is now. We should not accepted anything less than top 5 for the next 2 or 3 years.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    No, we should have achieved that in 2017 and 2018. Not saying we would have won a flag but top 5 for sure.
    We have a great midfield and some exciting forwards so our time is now. We should not accepted anything less than top 5 for the next 2 or 3 years.
    Lot of change post-2016 versus now, with a pretty stable list and Age Demographic, in terms of a core group of players getting to their prime years. Now is the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WBFC4FFC View Post
    Lot of change post-2016 versus now, with a pretty stable list and Age Demographic, in terms of a core group of players getting to their prime years. Now is the time.
    Our issues in 2017 were within the walls of the training facility and not the quality of the playing list.
    We don't have a lot of excuses now.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"