• Average

10 52.63%
  • Below Average

2 10.53%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rating our list 2021: Tim English 44

Hi All,

During the off season I thought I would start our list rating again. I won't included the new recruits as there is nothing to go on and I'll leave out desisted and retired players as there is no point.

Like last time I'll count down from the highest number to the lowest but I thought the poll rating this time will go on a different tack and get Woofers thoughts on how they rank from Elite to Below Average.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

2. Thanks GVGjr, bornadog, jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating our list 2021: Tim English 44

Has shown glimpses of the potential that has many saying he could be the next big ruck star in the competition, and will be searching to put the puzzle together in 2021. Enters the season with 47 games to his name, including 18 in 2020, and his performances varied greatly, though he finished eighth in the best and fairest. At his best, his ruck work was deft and his impact as an intercept marker was felt. Contracted until the end of 2022.

LINK

Post Thanks / Like

Rating our list 2021: Tim English 44

Gary can you merge this poll I stuffed up and took too long to add the poll in

5. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I going to vote Average at this point in his career. As a ruck man he would be below average but he did show good signs at stages through out the year.
    I wonder how much Naughton putting a knee in his ear upset his year.

Post Thanks / Like

After being knocked out by his flat mate, English lost confidence. Before that he had a pretty good spell as an interceptor in the backline taking many marks and kicked a few goals in the first half of the season.

2022 will be a big year for him and needs to take the next step as a ruckman
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Below average but still young for a ruck
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I've put above average due to age and versatility. However, this next season is one he should start showing a lot more.

A grittier and more defencively minded midfield wouldn't expose him as much as he is sometimes, but honestly, his lack of dominance in the ruck in my view is used by our midfield to find a way (i.e. we have to set up to account for being dominated in the ruck) to get the game on their terms without actually being defencive anyway. We all saw in the GF that our midfield has a problem that needs to be rectified here, and I think that's independent of English or anyone else rucking.

I'm expecting a breakout year. Thanks for starting this thread again HD60!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

English is quite versatile for a player of his size, but he is easily bullied.

Unless he finds some aggression, I fear that his career is going to be an almost rather than what his athletic traits should provide as an elite.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

11. Likes josie, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A very important player for us, he was average this season but I hold high hopes that he will be above average for us in 2022.

I still haven't given up hope that he can become a good ruckman but the clock is now ticking and by the end of 2022 we should know if he can make it as a primary ruckman.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    A very important player for us, he was average this season but I hold high hopes that he will be above average for us in 2022.

I still haven't given up hope that he can become a good ruckman but the clock is now ticking and by the end of 2022 we should know if he can make it as a primary ruckman.
    If he does bring the aggression that is required to be the primary ruck, we will be an exceptional team.

14. Likes GVGjr, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    If he does bring the aggression that is required to be the primary ruck, we will be an exceptional team.
    How confident are you that he can bring the intensity needed to be super competitive and aggressive? For me I think it's unlikely as I feel it's something you either have or you don't.

16. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    How confident are you that he can bring the intensity needed to be super competitive and aggressive? For me I think it's unlikely as I feel it's something you either have or you don't.
    Intensity can be taught to players where it may not come naturally. It's up to Tim to accept that challenge and to work out a way that make sure it doesn't slide.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Unfortunately, I agree that it seems to be lacking in his make-up.

However, like everything in life, you can change a characteristic if you really want to do so.

Post Thanks / Like

He did his best work pre head knock, had shown good capability around the ground and most pleasingly a good knack for leading at the ball and marking inside F50.

I have him flagged as above average heading into 22 and he'll be a critical part of whether we climb the mountain again.

20. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He has only played 48 games.

He is ahead of both Gawn and Grundy at the same time in their careers in regards to stats. Needs to be given time which is the reason Martin has gone on again.

Lets judge him at the end of 2022 and see if there is any improvement. At his age when there is improvement it will come quite quickly. Another pre season on the weights.

Also don't underestimate the hit he copped last year was quite severe missing 6+ weeks.

22. Likes EasternWest, bornadog liked this post