Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating our list 2021: Tim English 44

He's an average ruck or an above average forward/ruck
    Given there's nobody else he's likely going to play mostly ruck next year
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Never want to see him as number one ruck again, doesn't have the attitude / drive for it and frankly I doubt that's going to develop any time soon.

As a 3rd tall / 2nd ruck? Above average. I'd also say his intercept game is above average as well.

But, yeah, never want to see him doing number one ruck duties, I just don't think he has it in him.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

3. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Never want to see him as number one ruck again, doesn't have the attitude / drive for it and frankly I doubt that's going to develop any time soon.

As a 3rd tall / 2nd ruck? Above average. I'd also say his intercept game is above average as well.

But, yeah, never want to see him doing number one ruck duties, I just don't think he has it in him.
    I get the sentiment Vred but surely he gets another season to prove his worth?
    We need to find him some support out of Martin and Sweet but I don't think we can put a line through him as a number one ruck man.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    He has only played 48 games.

He is ahead of both Gawn and Grundy at the same time in their careers in regards to stats. Needs to be given time which is the reason Martin has gone on again.

Lets judge him at the end of 2022 and see if there is any improvement. At his age when there is improvement it will come quite quickly. Another pre season on the weights.

Also don't underestimate the hit he copped last year was quite severe missing 6+ weeks.
    He has actually played 69 games and is coming into his 6th season.

My concern is English is more Grundy than Gawn and the game seems to have passed Grundy by and is now suited to the more aggressive and competitive beasts.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I get the sentiment Vred but surely he gets another season to prove his worth?
    We need to find him some support out of Martin and Sweet but I don't think we can put a line through him as a number one ruck man.
    As Azabob said, we need a more Gawn type than Grundy, we really really need Sweet to come on this year, his number one job should be to win or half our center clearance work with the rest of the midfield and to completely nullify the opponents ruck.

Feels like we keep giving English ''one more year'' to prove himself, I'm pretty much done with it to be honest, if I could swap English for any of the half-decent rucks in the league I wouldn't think twice about it.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    As Azabob said, we need a more Gawn type than Grundy, we really really need Sweet to come on this year, his number one job should be to win or half our center clearance work with the rest of the midfield and to completely nullify the opponents ruck.

Feels like we keep giving English ''one more year'' to prove himself, I'm pretty much done with it to be honest, if I could swap English for any of the half-decent rucks in the league I wouldn't think twice about it.
    How many Gawn types in the league are there?

English was a late starter to football so was always going to take more time than most. Physically he also needed time to develop.
    Given our ruck stocks I don't think we have any other option but to give him the balance of the season to prove his worth. He's out of contract this year, lets see if other clubs, especially the ones in the West, have any genuine interest.

Post Thanks / Like

How many Gawn types in the league are there?

English was a late starter to football so was always going to take more time than most. Physically he also needed time to develop.
    Given our ruck stocks I don't think we have any other option but to give him the balance of the season to prove his worth. He's out of contract this year, lets see if other clubs, especially the ones in the West, have any genuine interest.
    Tim was also a later starter to the ruck role too it kind of happened when he had that huge growth spurt. He is an important player for us whether around the ground or up forward. He is a keeper for mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Tim was also a later starter to the ruck role too it kind of happened when he had that huge growth spurt. He is an important player for us whether around the ground or up forward. He is a keeper for mine.
    We also haven't done him a lot of favors by not having the right support around him but if you look at Marshall at the Saints they didn't hesitate to bring in Ryder to support him and now in case of a breaking glass Tom Campbell.

10. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We also haven't done him a lot of favors by not having the right support around him but if you look at Marshall at the Saints they didn't hesitate to bring in Ryder to support him and now in case of a breaking glass Tom Campbell.
    Spot on. We seem to run the gauntlet in the ruck every year. We saw dividends straight away when Martin was fit at the start of 2021 releasing English to play are more freed up role.

I voted average just because of his ruck work. He just lost too many ruck contests. He work around the ground is great and will definitely improve considering he isn't yet in his prime.

I think with Tim he's not an aggressive person by nature so for him to become an aggressive player is asking for something that is not natural for him. You would like to think the coaching department are trying everything they can to bring out his inner competitiveness. You can be competitive without being aggressive. If Tim can improve his ruck work in 2022 and at least break even in the contest could be the final piece of the midfield puzzle we need to go one better in 2022.
    Last edited by ratsmac; 02-01-2022 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

12. Likes GVGjr, josie, macca liked this post