Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  6
    Post Thanks / Like

Vale Don Whitten

The Western Bulldogs are mourning the loss of Don Whitten, former Footscray player and brother of Ted, who passed away yesterday, aged 86.

Our thoughts are with Don’s family and friends at this difficult time.

Don Played 24 games for Footscray.

His records and details are here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Whitten

Condolences to family and friends.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes EasternWest, Max469, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vale Don Whitten

RIP Don.

Condolences to the Whitten family and friends.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Sad news. I remember Don when playing for Yarraville in their premiership year 1961 to 1964. I used to go to all the home games. Very good player and was captain in '64.

5. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Sad news. I remember Don when playing for Yarraville in their premiership year 1961 to 1964. I used to go to all the home games. Very good player and was captain in '64.
    A small part in this clip of Don speaking back in 1995 when they named the Western Ring Road bridge over the Maribyrnong River after EJ.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f1DEHnqnuYM
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

7. Thanks bornadog, I'm Not Bitter Anymore! thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    That guy in the bottom right hand corner presenting Don with his #1 membership is Ian Leckie. I went to Kinder/Primary school/High school with Ian. When I was about 4 years old I had a huge argument with my mum so I packed my bags and headed around the corner to go and live with the Leckies.

Mrs Leckie said that they really didn't have enough room for another kid and drove me home again. You know what? As I've gotten older I've begun to think that maybe she just didn't want me to move in at their house because they had plenty of room for another kid from what I could tell!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

10. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don Whitten carved out a very successful career both as a player and successful Coach winning Premierships at both Casterton and Tocumul. In 1961 he was a successful Premiership player with Yarraville coached by his brother Ted. Ted Whitten was requested to Coach Yarraville following the late withdrawal of its normal Coach, ex St Kilda champion, Keith Drinan. Don formed a very close friendship with Ted Whitten,Jnr and our condolences go out to the Whitten family.

12. Thanks GVGjr, jeemak, Bulldog4life, Eastdog, merantau thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Don Whitten carved out a very successful career both as a player and successful Coach winning Premierships at both Casterton and Tocumul. In 1961 he was a successful Premiership player with Yarraville coached by his brother Ted. Ted Whitten was requested to Coach Yarraville following the late withdrawal of its normal Coach, ex St Kilda champion, Keith Drinan. Don formed a very close friendship with Ted Whitten,Jnr and our condolences go out to the Whitten family.

Drinan had to go to South Africa on a business trip when Yarraville qualified for the Grand Final so Ted stood in as coach. Do you remember how many games Drinan missed? Was it just the Grand Final do you know? If so Ted would be one game as coach, one Premiership win! That's a fair record.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

14. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Same year Ted coached doggies in the GF. Busy boy.

16. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Drinan had to go to South Africa on a business trip when Yarraville qualified for the Grand Final so Ted stood in as coach. Do you remember how many games Drinan missed? Was it just the Grand Final do you know? If so Ted would be one game as coach, one Premiership win! That's a fair record.
    I believe that it was only the GF that Keith Drinan missed due to his business travel to South Africa.

18. Thanks jeemak, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe that it was only the GF that Keith Drinan missed due to his business travel to South Africa.
    You're right NBP.

20. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post