Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2022 Version of Bailey Dale

Bailey Dale had a sensational year in 2021 and I think it's fair to say he more than played his part in our resurgence.
    In most years you look for a player or two to step up and make a difference so on the cusp of 2022 who do you think might be able to do a Bailey Dale and have a break out season for us and the reasons why?
    If you have a few players in mind, lets hear all of them as well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2022 Version of Bailey Dale

I have good feelings about Marra stepping up to be a regular this season. His attitude has changed this year...according to himself...and with following the Bont around over summer only good will come of it. Another off season in the gym will improve his strength too. Remembering he was number one draft pick by far too I think he will surprise a lot of people.

3. Likes GVGjr, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish: English
    Likely: Josh Dunkley. His year was ruined by injury but his best is elite.

Marra is a good one. He'll be a regular by the endof the year
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

5. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to go with Garcia. Will establish himself as that high forward.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

7. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Weightman could really surprise next year. It's a hard spot to shine on a regular basis but I don't doubt he has the ability.
    He's had two good seasons but has the potential to take a step or two forward again next season.

I wonder if Vandermeer can stay fit what level of improvement he can make. Such and exciting player when things click for him.

9. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I wish: English
    Likely: Josh Dunkley. His year was ruined by injury but his best is elite.

Marra is a good one. He'll be a regular by the endof the year
    Dunkley could be massive for us if he stays healthy. We need to find him some more time in the middle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I have good feelings about Marra stepping up to be a regular this season. His attitude has changed this year...according to himself...and with following the Bont around over summer only good will come of it. Another off season in the gym will improve his strength too. Remembering he was number one draft pick by far too I think he will surprise a lot of people.
    I think the 'Josh Bruce' role is the obvious spot where someone could step up and have a great season. Marra will surely get first crack at it, but I wonder if Schache, Cordy or someone else will be the one to surprise.

Bailey Williams is one that I think could push for AA - he started this season with a handful of brilliant games, but by the end seemed to be playing more of a lockdown role. If O'Brien's addition frees him up to be more offensive, it could be big for him.

The other obvious one is Bailey Smith. If he can produce his finals series over the full season, then he moves from being very good to elite.

12. Likes Bulldog4life, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Richards for mine, the first game he played back from longterm injury gave us a glimpse of what he is capable of in defence.

14. Likes GVGjr, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Parker will surprise us all. Has all the tools, just needs a good pre season and some polish.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

There is about two ways of looking at this:

Players that could be in the All Australian discussion at the end of the season which doesn't include the regulars like Bont, Macrae and Hunter:
    Players that could have a break out season by the end of the season:

Potential AA level players for us include Bailey Smith, Josh Dunkley and Aaron Naughton
    Break out season players for us might include Cody Weightman, Josh Schache, Ed Richards, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Riley Garcia, Tim English, Laitham Vandermeer, Jordon Sweet and Bailey Williams.

And finally we have a couple of players that might have an Anthony Scott type debut season in Charlie Parker and Robbie McComb

Isn't great to have that many players with so much upside? Our assistant and development coaches have a lot to work with.

17. Likes josie, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Parker will surprise us all. Has all the tools, just needs a good pre season and some polish.
    Agree could fit nicely on the wing for us.

19. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are plenty on the list who look poised to produce career best seasons and the team would benefit greatly if this comes from one of the fololwing

Tim English - to be a genuine agressive No 1 ruck or Jordan Sweet to do it instead.

Josh Schache - showed his best signs late in 2021 and has the potential to be a key swing man, but CHB beckons

Marra - Show the hype is justified as a 4 quarter player and we are very dangerous.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

21. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Richards for mine, the first game he played back from longterm injury gave us a glimpse of what he is capable of in defence.
    Yep I'll go with Richards' too. If he can stay healthy he brings a bit of pace and ball movement in parts of the ground where we don't currently have it.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yep I'll go with Richards' too. If he can stay healthy he brings a bit of pace and ball movement in parts of the ground where we don't currently have it.
    I agree but where do you play him?

Down back? Probably the best position, but who does he displace?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't know whether we have anyone who can come from the fringe and hit All Australian levels in an unfamiliar position this year. Looking back on what Dale did, it was an outstanding and freakish effort and I still can't really believe it happened.

For mine, we get better if Dunkley and Treloar stay fit and healthy. Both are capable of All Australian squad level football. If that can happen and Steph and Sweet share first ruck duties competently, English plays as a forward/ ruck and is settled in that role leaving Marra to help out as well, then I think we look better than we did rolling into the last two weeks of the finals.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

25. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post