Thanks Thanks:  253
Likes Likes:  442
Page 25 of 70 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Aflw 2022/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aflw 2022

EXPANSION CLUB SIGNINGS
    ESSENDON
    U18 academy/zone: Nil
    Open age: Georgia Nanscawen (Essendon VFLW), Caitlin Sargent (Western Jets)
    AFLW players (committed, not yet officially signed): Sophie Alexander (Collingwood), Steph Cain (Fremantle), Georgia Gee (Carlton), Maddy Prespakis (Carlton), Bonnie Toogood (Western Bulldogs)

HAWTHORN
    Open age: Zoe Barbakos (Sandringham Dragons), Dominique Carbone (Hawthorn VFLW), Bridget Deed (Eastern Ranges/Hawthorn VFLW), Sophie Locke (Port Melbourne)
    AFLW players (committed, not yet officially signed): Nil

PORT ADELAIDE
    Open age: Nil
    AFLW players (committed, not yet officially signed): Gemma Houghton (Fremantle), Ange Foley, Erin Phillips, Justine Mules (all Adelaide), Maria Moloney (Brisbane)

SYDNEY
    Open age: Jaide Anthony (Dandenong Stingrays), Montana Beruldsen (Hawthorn VFLW), Molly Eastman (North Melbourne VFLW), Sarah Ford (Essendon VFLW), Ella Heads (Inner West), Zoe Hurrell (North Shore), Alice Mitchell (Gunnedah), Ruby Sargent-Wilson (Southern Power), Lauren Szigeti (Hawthorn VFLW), Aimee Whelan (Hawthorn (VFLW)
    AFLW players (committed, not yet officially signed): Maddy Collier (West Coast), Ally Morphett (GWS), Bec Privitelli (GWS), Lisa Steane (GWS), Brenna Tarrant (Melbourne)
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

2. Thanks bornadog, josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Scott announces AFLW retirement

Western Bulldogs premiership defender Hannah Scott has announced her retirement from AFLW.

The foundation Bulldog and All Australian half-back managed 32 games over six years, first representing the red, white and blue in the 2015 AFL Women’s exhibition game.

Scott suffered an injury-riddled 2022 campaign, preventing the defender from playing this season.

She said it was a difficult decision to make, but she knew the time was right.

“The decision was always one that scared me, until one day it didn’t – I found myself reflecting a fair bit and came to a place of peace with walking away from the game,” Scott said.

“It’s hard to explain unless you’ve been through it, but I just had a sense of realisation wash over me - knowing that it was my time as I had given what I was meant to give to the game.

“Working a physically demanding job in construction puts your body at a higher risk of not only injury, but also mental, physical and emotional fatigue. Managing that football-work balance got harder, and I felt I was compromising both in the end. I had no time to do anything outside of the two, which put a strain not only on me, but my loved ones too.

“I’ll miss my teammates and the people around the club most – you’re there so often and all working towards one goal that you become a second family.

“When you include the exhibition matches, I’ve essentially been with the Bulldogs for eight years, so it’ll be a huge change in my life.”

Scott was a valued member of the Bulldogs’ back six, with her strength and physicality a key part of her game, and what helped her achieve the ultimate glory.

“The premiership is a huge highlight, and one I feel very privileged to have been a part of,” Scott said.

“Being in the leadership group for four seasons and earning an All Australian nod are personal achievements I’m also super proud of, but I think the highlight of being an inaugural AFLW player and living out my childhood dream of playing AFL at the highest level is something I’ll forever look back on.

“Knowing I did some pretty special things with some amazing people is something I’ll cherish forever.”

Bulldogs’ General Manager of Women’s Football, Debbie Lee, thanked Scott for her contributions to the Club.

“As one of our inaugural Bulldogs, we can’t thank Scotty enough for what she brought to the team and the Club - she has made it a better place. She is a much loved player, and her teammates will surely miss having her care, warmth and laughter around,” Lee said.

“While it was unfortunate to see injuries get in her way this season, to retire as a premiership player and All Australian defender is something not many can say.

“Her journey has been exceptional and she is one of very few players who have been a part of the AFLW generational change.

“We thank Scotty for her investment and contributions to our program, and wish her all the very best for the future.”

Scott arrived at the Kennel with pick 21 in the 2016 draft from Eastern Devils in the VWFL.

LINK

4. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFLw side may end up like the
    VFLw at this rate.

Post Thanks / Like

Why Ellie stayed: Star Bulldog on turning down Sydney, 'positive change' at the Kennel

THE LURE of a second flag was one of the deciding factors behind Western Bulldogs' skipper Ellie Blackburn turning down an offer from Sydney.

The 27-year-old Blackburn was acting captain during the Dogs' 2018 triumph, and the side has since gone through an expansion-enforced rebuild, finishing seventh this year.

"I love the club, to be honest. I love what we're building, I love the people there, I love the environment," Blackburn told womens.afl.

"Obviously not everything's perfect, but I want to be part of that change and I don't want to just walk away from it, I'm a person who just wants to see things through. I definitely want to be a one-club player, it's something I've always wanted to do, and be known for at the end of my career.

"I think we're really close to a premiership and that on-field success as well, so to know we're not too far away from that excites me, and I want to be part of that."

Blackburn said the Swans made the first move, reaching out to her manager to gauge her interest.

"It wasn't a shock, but it made the expansion side of things real, that player movement was going to happen and it was the next step in the process," she said.

"From the conversations we did have with them, they seem like an amazing club. It was hard not to think of the 'what ifs' in that process, but I never took the Dogs out of my mind through it all. They were my priority, but it was hard not to consider other options out there.
    "It was a pretty long process in the end. I think we were still in-season when they reached out, so I put it on hold because it was at a time we were still potentially going to play finals.

"It dragged over a few weeks, talking with the Dogs and the uncertainty around what contracts can be offered (due to the lack of a CBA), and I wanted to provide some feedback to the football club about things and ensure some real positive changes were going to be made going forward. I wanted to know what the future was going to look like, so there were plenty of conversations."
    Blackburn contracted COVID ahead of round two, and the Bulldogs were so heavily hit, they ended up missing two weeks, as the club and AFL medical staff deemed returning after seven days and playing in January was going to be detrimental to their health.

But the resulting fixture crunch knocked the tough midfielder about more than she realised.

"I didn't realise how bad it was until it was over. When I first got it, I wasn't in a good place at all, it took me a little time to get over it," Blackburn said.

"Then playing that first game back was one of the worst experiences I've ever had in my life, I was cooked, really fatigued and exhausted to the point my body couldn't move. Each week was a real battle, there were some moments throughout the season where I was just completely exhausted, and you just had to get through it.
    "We had COVID, then we played seven games in 30 days, and to have that without a break or a chance to recover really affected my body. I took a couple of extra weeks off post-season because my body needed it, but I thought the club did a great job in supporting us and making sure we got that extra week (in-season) off.

"I'm back in training now, have been for the past few weeks, which is good. The body is feeling much better now, so I'm really excited to get into next season feeling that little bit fresher."
    LINK

7. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Admire Ellie. Loyal to the RWB. I think if Ellie had left, with loss of Toogood and Huntington, might have been a hard ask to follow our AFLW side with real passion. Blackburn and Lamb are my 2 faves so relieved they stayed with us. We really are in hunt for some high quality tall forwards.

9. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

CBA LOCKED IN: Big pay increase, August start date confirmed

A ONE-YEAR bridging AFLW Collective Bargaining Agreement has been struck between the AFL and AFLPA ahead of the competition's new season in August.

Season seven of the AFLW will now commence in the last weekend in August, and consist of ten home-and-away rounds and a four-week finals series, with the Grand Final to be held on the last weekend of November.

The CBA deal will result in a substantial pay rise of an average of 94 per cent across all four payment tiers, with players having been particularly keen to have their unpaid hours (maintaining fitness, recovery etc) recognised in the new deal.

The top tier will be paid $71,935, while the minimum AFLW wage will increase from $20,239 to around $39,184.

With the CBA signed, the AFL and AFLPA confirmed the new season will start in the AFL pre-finals bye in the last weekend in August, four and a half months after Adelaide was crowned premier of the 2022 (part A) season.

The long-awaited dates around the Sign and Trade Period and the NAB AFLW Draft have now also been finalised.

The Expansion Signing period will commence on May 24, with the Sign and Trade period to commence on May 31.

The NAB AFLW Draft will be held on June 29, with pre-season training to commence for all clubs on June 13.

The expired CBA saw players contracted for 15 hours a week during pre-season and 10 (excluding matches) during the season itself, but players found themselves doing a lot more individual work outside of those hours in order to maintain a high standard of performance.

Just two players per club occupy each of tier one and tier two, with expansion clubs capitalising heavily on that imbalance when attracting tier three talent from other teams.

Despite four new teams – Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and Sydney – joining the competition, the new season will remain at 10 rounds, however an extra week of finals will be added and a top eight introduced.

The next CBA is expected to revolve around the season length, with the AFLPA aiming to have a full-time, 18-round competition by 2026.

The AFL head of women's football Nicole Livingstone has maintained the AFL's aspirational goal is to have "year-round" athletes by 2030, rather than full-time or the current six-month, part-time contracts.

Key dates for AFLW season 7

AFLW Expansion Signing Period 24 May 2022
    Sign and Trade Period 31 May 2022
    NAB AFLW Draft 29 June 2022
    Pre-season commences 13 June 2022
    Season Commences, 25-27 August 2022*
    Finals commences, 4-6 November 2022*
    NAB AFLW Grand Final, Weekend of 25-27 November 2022*
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Apologies in advance for going on about this.

Any chance we can split AFLW back to a separate forum? Are there any technical reasons why the site can't handle it ?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

"Just two players per club occupy each of tier one and tier two, with expansion clubs capitalising heavily on that imbalance when attracting tier three talent from other teams."

Is there actually a salary cap for the AFLW?

I wonder who our four top tier players are? I would suggest Tier 1 this year was Ellie and Izzy, then Lamb and Toogood. Moving into next year I would suggest Lb goes up, Eleanor Brown into the next tier...and maybe Fitzgerald? Moody is pretty important for our structure.

Then when you look at the bombers, I wonder if Bonnie was offered a tier one contract (as well as Prespakis)?

Post Thanks / Like

Too many tiers in my opinion. Makes it far more tempting for players to move if offered a 1 or 2 tier jump by another club.

Post Thanks / Like

Loch-ed in as a Swan: Sydney lures veteran flag Bulldog

SYDNEY has lured one of the Western Bulldogs' most popular AFLW players to kickstart the expansion signing period, agreeing a deal for veteran former premiership-winner Brooke Lochland.

womens.afl understands Lochland – a premiership player, a League-leading goalkicker and an AFLW All-Australian in 2018 – has signed for the Swans in what is a long-awaited coup for one of the competition's new teams.

The 31-year-old is internally viewed as being one of the Dogs' most important leaders, but will take her experience to Sydney where she will become a valuable asset for Scott Gowans' side in its inaugural AFLW season.

Lochland has played 35 games across six campaigns for the Bulldogs, bursting onto the AFLW scene with a remarkable seven-goal haul against Carlton in 2018. It remains the most goals kicked in a game by a single player in the League's history.

Sydney had previously made a significant offer to Lochland's captain at the Bulldogs, Ellie Blackburn, to make her the club's marquee AFLW signing. The Swans have also made unsuccessful bids for North Melbourne's Ash Riddell and Melbourne's Kate Hore.

However, the club has filled out its list with a host of solid AFLW experience and has commitments from Maddy Collier (West Coast), Lexi Hamilton (North Melbourne), Bella Smith (Collingwood), Brenna Tarrant (Melbourne), Ally Morphett, Bec Privitelli and Lisa Steane (all Greater Western Sydney) ahead of its first season.

15. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

SYDNEY has lured one of the Western Bulldogs' most popular AFLW players to kickstart the expansion signing period, agreeing a deal for veteran former premiership-winner Brooke Lochland.

womens.afl understands Lochland – a premiership player, a League-leading goalkicker and an AFLW All-Australian in 2018 – has signed for the Swans in what is a long-awaited coup for one of the competition's new teams.

The 31-year-old is internally viewed as being one of the Dogs' most important leaders, but will take her experience to Sydney where she will become a valuable asset for Scott Gowans' side in its inaugural AFLW season.

Lochland has played 35 games across six campaigns for the Bulldogs, bursting onto the AFLW scene with a remarkable seven-goal haul against Carlton in 2018. It remains the most goals kicked in a game by a single player in the League's history.

Sydney had previously made a significant offer to Lochland's captain at the Bulldogs, Ellie Blackburn, to make her the club's marquee AFLW signing. The Swans have also made unsuccessful bids for North Melbourne's Ash Riddell and Melbourne's Kate Hore.

However, the club has filled out its list with a host of solid AFLW experience and has commitments from Maddy Collier (West Coast), Lexi Hamilton (North Melbourne), Bella Smith (Collingwood), Brenna Tarrant (Melbourne), Ally Morphett, Bec Privitelli and Lisa Steane (all Greater Western Sydney) ahead of its first season.
    Surely there has to be some restrictions here, how are we supposed to be competitive with our forward line gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Not so worried about Lochland as I think we got the best from her and is now on the wrong side of 30.
    I just hope we get compensated fairly but as the AFL goes we'll probably get shafted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

I wonder what the compensation is?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Surely there has to be some restrictions here, how are we supposed to be competitive with our forward line gone.
    Hope Ellie is having a big pre-season because she's going to have to kick the ball to herself for us to score.

20. Likes Grantysghost, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kirsty McLeod will be a handy addition to the forward line after missing the season with injury. Good speed and goal sense.