Thanks Thanks:  253
Likes Likes:  442
Page 1 of 70 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Aflw 2022/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Aflw 2022/2023

I know there is a mix of AFLW knowledge on here, but it would be great to get some more engagement with our female program/the AFLW on WOOF.

We are still a very young side, with our 'senior' players Ellie Blackburn (26), Kirsty Lamb (27), Brooke Lochland (30) supporting young stars such as Izzy Huntington, Eleanor Brown, Bonnie Toogood and Jess Fitzgerald.

We have brought in experience and size with Rocky Cranston (32), who will likely play as a bullocking presence up forward and can hopefully do short bursts through the midfield to support Lamb and Blackburn, and Elle Bennetts (32) who will hopefully fill a spot on the wing.

B: Ferres Lynch
    HB: Hartwig Gamble Brown
    C: Bennetts Lamb Lochland
    HF: Cranston Huntington ???
    F: McLeod Toogood
    R: Moody Blackburn Fitzgerald

I think Bailey Hunt and Alice Edmonds would be in our best squad, although Hunt needs to continue improving her defensive accountability.

I don't really know who slots in to the other spots on the bench, or if some of the younger players will push into that starting side - lots of young players like Ling, Snell, Gutknecht, Grant, Strahan, Georgostathis, Lagoia that I'm either not convinced by or don't know enough about.

I love Hannah Scott's penetration by foot but worry that the game has progressed past her now at the age of 31. I don't see her being more than a cameo.

What am I looking forward to?
    Sitting on the hill watching Izzy Huntington outmark 3, 4, 5 opponents. She is an absolute star of the competition at either hand - a genuine female Chris Grant.

Who will be the surprise packet?
    I think Bonnie Toogood, Eleanor Brown and Jess Fitzgerald can all have AA-quality seasons, but not sure that would be a surprise for any of them.
    Sarah Hartwig was really impressive in her debut season as a half-back flanker with good composure and great skills.
    I've only seen Amanda Ling's draft video but think there is a clear opening in our midfield for somebody who can win their own football.

Where will we finish?
    I think we could sneak in to finals, but likely finish just outside in 7th-10th. I think we could hope to win the 4 highlighted matches, and if we can sneak another couple then we are likely and deserving finalists. I see Melbourne, Freo, Adelaide, Collingwood and Brisbane as likely finalists. North, Carlton and us are in the next bunch.

Melbourne (H), Geelong (A), Carlton (H), Greater Western Sydney (A), Richmond (H), Adelaide (A), Gold Coast (H), Collingwood (A), Fremantle (H)

2. Thanks josie, GVGjr, bornadog, Bulldog4life, azabob, HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes Hotdog60, Prince Imperial, soupman, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aflw 2022

Here's a Link to a good (and more optimistic) preview.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Hannah and I thought last season she was already showing signs that the game is getting past her.
    She's always been an aggressive player but when you start giving away silly free kicks you know time is catching up on you.
    Blackburn does need support and I thought Lamb had her best season and hopefully she can take another step.
    Lockland was a disappointment and this could be because of a change of role so how she goes will be interesting over all I think we have the making of a good team and I hope we can keep our best players when the other 4 teams come in.
    Sarah Black's top 30 show how much the expansion has hurt us.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Georgostathis played every game in her first two seasons and I think and hope is one who can really step up. Her depth of kicking is limited but she is quite a terrier with her intensity and attack on the ball and opposition.

She really put Conti out of business in the last game of last season and I think she will continue to develop as a tagger.

Post Thanks / Like

Any Chance of a separate forum again for AFLW? Sorry to ask again. i know nothing about logistically whether the website can handle another forum within the software.

Thank you
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The additions I think are pretty valuable in terms of maturity for a young group.

There is an interesting dynamic in AFLW though where you get instant benefits and perhaps a higher ceiling from the younger ones coming through. They are reaping the rewards of the system that wasn’t as well set up for the older women.

In all, on paper, the mix looks right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    Georgostathis played every game in her first two seasons and I think and hope is one who can really step up. Her depth of kicking is limited but she is quite a terrier with her intensity and attack on the ball and opposition.

She really put Conti out of business in the last game of last season and I think she will continue to develop as a tagger.
    Yeh I've probably undersold her. Her skills/penetration with kicking have definitely let her down - I think it really stands out in the lighter frames if they are not as skilful. But you are right that her attack on the ball and tackling is a strength. There's definitely a role for taggers in aflw, where most teams have 1or 2 standout mids.

9. Likes Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not particularly optimistic.

My concern is that AFLW (to this point) is a super simple game - if you can consistently score 6 goals, you WIN.

WHERE (oh where) are our goals going to come from? Huntington will continue to be pulled up the field, Blackburn MUST play mid, Toogood leads far too wide/doesn't draw the ball...what's changed?

The other (obvious) problem is that every coach knows that goals are G-O-L-D and therefore kick the ball so wide out of D50 that scoring at the other end becomes more than a bit of a challenge - in particular if there is any kind of breeze blowing...

We need goals. Where are they? I can just see another season like last where we are 'in' games but are never able to 'win' games (never is strong, I enjoyed watching the girls in 2021) but I hope a lot of people get my meaning.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

11. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54, bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

My concern is that AFLW (to this point) is a super simple game - if you can consistently score 6 goals, you WIN.

WHERE (oh where) are our goals going to come from? Huntington will continue to be pulled up the field, Blackburn MUST play mid, Toogood leads far too wide/doesn't draw the ball...what's changed?

The other (obvious) problem is that every coach knows that goals are G-O-L-D and therefore kick the ball so wide out of D50 that scoring at the other end becomes more than a bit of a challenge - in particular if there is any kind of breeze blowing...

We need goals. Where are they? I can just see another season like last where we are 'in' games but are never able to 'win' games (never is strong, I enjoyed watching the girls in 2021) but I hope a lot of people get my meaning.
    We had the same issue last year, ie not kicking enough goals.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Our defence definitely kept us in games a lot in 2021 - Brown, Gamble, Lynch all had really strong years and seemed to develop a good relationship as a defensive group.

RE scoring goals, I suspect they are banking on
    A) natural improvement from Huntington, Fitzgerald, Toogood who are all 24 or under
    B) addition of Cranston who has been a good goalscorer in good teams
    C) better ball movement as we bring in more highly skilled young players, and can hopefully counter wide defensive exits

Lack of offensive threats and poor midfield depth are the main reasons I see us as below the Pies, Demons and Lions. But I think we are better than Suns, Giants, Saints, Cats, Tigers, and if we get a lucky result or two (like last year when Melbourne kicked 2.12) then I can see us sneaking in to finals.

14. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Our defence definitely kept us in games a lot in 2021 - Brown, Gamble, Lynch all had really strong years and seemed to develop a good relationship as a defensive group.

RE scoring goals, I suspect they are banking on
    A) natural improvement from Huntington, Fitzgerald, Toogood who are all 24 or under
    B) addition of Cranston who has been a good goalscorer in good teams
    C) better ball movement as we bring in more highly skilled young players, and can hopefully counter wide defensive exits
    Point A: Agree but Huntington gets so HIGH (trying to get involved) that I just can't see how that helps...unless she goes to the goal-square which really means 8-12 opportunities per game.
    Point B: I'm not a believer but happy to play the wait and see game.
    Point C: I just need to see it but the wind kills kicking in the AFLW and playing at the Whitten Oval...

I don't know. I think we have assembled a reasonable squad but it really feels like we are stuck in the middle of the pack - too straight for the hips, too hip for the straights (and a dollar for anyone who gets that reference!).
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

It's only a brief look but it appears we are working on kicking for goal skills.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/v...=1641348000001
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Season preview: Can plucky Dogs push for a finals berth?

Coach: Nathan Burke

Captain: Ellie Blackburn

2021 best and fairest: Ellie Blackburn

2021 in a nutshell: The Bulldogs were one of the competition’s big improvers last season, holding a spot in the top six for much of the year before fading late to finish eighth with five wins and four losses.

Captain Ellie Blackburn was superb early, leading the AFLW Best and Fairest count after round four. Wins over Carlton and Melbourne were big ticks but a 56-point thrashing by Adelaide in round eight ended the Dogs' finals hopes.

Full squad: Deanna Berry, Elle Bennetts, Ellie Blackburn, Eleanor Brown, Richelle Cranston, Alice Edmonds, Naomi Ferres, Jess Fitzgerald, Ellyse Gamble, Elisabeth Georgostathis, Isabella Grant, Ashleigh Guest, Britney Gutknecht, Sarah Hartwig, Bailey Hunt, Isabel Huntington, Gemma Lagioia, Kirsty Lamb, Amanda Ling, Brooke Lochland, Katie Lynch, Kirsten McLeod, Celine Moody, Nell Morris-Dalton, Isabella Pritchard, Hannah Scott, Aurora Smith, Elizabeth Snell, Annabel Strahan, Bonnie Toogood

Recruits: Elle Bennetts (GWS), Richelle Cranston (delisted free agent, Geelong), Alice Edmonds (replacement player, formerly Richmond)

Draftees: Amanda Ling, Aurora Smith, Elizabeth Snell

Inactive: Gabby Newton (shoulder)

Out: Ange Gogos, Lauren Spark, Amelia Van Oosterwijck (retired), Katy Herron, Danielle Marshall, Kim Rennie (delisted)

2022 opponents: Melbourne (H), Geelong (A), Carlton (H), Greater Western Sydney (A), Richmond (H), Adelaide (A), Gold Coast (H), Collingwood (A), Fremantle (H)

Circle it: It comes no bigger than a blockbuster round one clash under lights against Melbourne at Whitten Oval. The two clubs will vie for the Hampson-Hardeman Cup, which is currently held by the Dogs, although the Demons have a 7-4 overall winning record between the teams.

Player to watch: Midfielder Jess Fitzgerald will look to build on an excellent debut season in which she earned a NAB AFLW Rising Star nomination and selection in the AFLPA's 22under22 team. Averaging just over 10 disposals and kicking five goals in 2021, the former No.2 pick has all the attributes to become a vital part of Nathan Burke's side.

Best NAB AFLW Rising Star chances: Amanda Ling, Sarah Hartwig

2022 prediction: The loss of Gabby Newton for the season after a dual shoulder reconstruction is a massive blow, while a difficult draw means finals will be a tough proposition. The Dogs are more than capable of pushing the top sides and If they can bank another five wins – as they did in 2021 – then this year should be considered a success. But with Ellie Blackburn at the peak of her powers and a host of young talent including Izzy Huntington, Jess Fitzgerald and Issy Grant at their disposal, there's plenty of room for optimism in seasons to come.

Post Thanks / Like

For anyone looking to build their own interest in the AFLW this year, Moreira's Magic has started an AFLW Fantasy competition. $5000 to the winner.

It realllllly tested my knowledge beyond the 'stars'.

https://aflwfantasy.com.au/

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs v Melbourne at VU Whitten Oval, 7pm AEDT

WESTERN BULLDOGS

B: E.Brown 9 I.Huntington 4
    HB: E.Bennetts 11 N.Ferres 16 A.Guest 19
    C: I.Grant 3 E.Blackburn - C 2 I.Pritchard 20
    HF: B.Gutknecht 18 R.Cranston 30 B.Lochland 1
    F: N.Morris-Dalton 25 B.Toogood 8
    Foll: C.Moody 13 J.Fitzgerald 23 K.Lamb 27
    I/C: S.Hartwig 15 E.Georgostathis 17 A.Edmonds 33 E.Snell 26 A.Ling 29

Emerg: G.Lagioia 12 A.Strahan 35

MELBOURNE

B: B.Tarrant 20 L.Birch 9
    HB: S.Lampard 8 M.Fitzsimon 24 S.Heath 30
    C: A.Bannan 16 M.Gay 3 C.Sherriff 18
    HF: L.Mithen 14 K.Hore 10 J.Parry 19
    F: T.Harris 7 D.Pearce - C 6
    Foll: L.Pearce 15 K.Paxman 4 T.Hanks 5
    I/C: A.Brown 28 M.Caris 21 E.West 11 E.Zanker 29 S.Scott 12

Emerg: G.Campbell 1 K.Petrevski 31

Teams have been named. Things that interested me:
    - with key defenders Gamble and Lynch out injured, Huntington has been named at full back
    - 2 of our draftees - inside mid Amanda Ling and ?half-forward Elizabeth Snell have been named on the bench, as well as all 3 trades
    - Kirsten McLeod, one of our leading goalkickers, has not been named. Bailey Hunt and Hannah Scott two other experienced players who did not get a game.
    - Jess Fitzgerald named in the midfield - I like that.

20. Thanks bornadog, Prince Imperial, josie thanked for this post