Thanks Thanks:  253
Likes Likes:  442
Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast

Thread: Aflw 2022/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aflw 2022

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Yep, same with me. I enjoy watching the girls play and fulfil their dream of playing the game but every time a player (does not matter which side) looks like they’ve got an injured knee I cringe. I certainly hope our club is looking into the 90 mins extra training a session to reduce risk. Surely some of these exercises can be done at home too?

Izzy is such an exciting player and seems like a really good person too. Footy gods are bloody cruel.
    According to Nathan Bourke the AFL tell the Clubs how many sessions a week the Club can train the players and for how long too. This is due to players having jobs, studying etc.

2. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I think there would be pretty strong pushback from AFLW players, officials and fans to it being played as a curtain raiser to the men's games - the argument being that AFLW is the elite of the women's game, so should have a standalone fixture. It's one of the main reasons that the current season has started so early, to give the season its own space.
    That's fair enough but you got to start somewhere and utilizing grounds and transport and accommodation may be better cost effect until they can stand on their own two feet.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This should start from the junior leagues up - what are the coaches teaching them.
    I'm not sure.

Coaching at junior level is a volunteers job though so we shouldn't be expecting too much. Girls footy is exploding over here (which is great) but seems to celebrate enthusiasm over execution...It's like the Auskick kids being celebrated for kicking the ball 20m over their team-mates heads...then in u15's when they are still banging in on the boot indiscriminately they can't understand why that isn't still considered a good kick.

Honestly, much of coaching sucks because it is telling the same player the same thing over and over again even when they are sick of hearing it...but if it's important you can't give it up...you simply need to tell them one more time. When you are celebrating effort and enthusiasm and 'having a go' and outcomes don't matter, well, that gets lost.

This is more a comment about junior coaching full-stop rather than those coaching junior girls...

How many times do you see this in a game. Also a lot of the players seem to hesitate for a split second when they have get the ball, and they are tackled hard and caught holding the ball.
    That's a first option thing and it happens because so many times the player isn't confident enough to hit the handball target OR they try to inside out handball.

What do you think about shortening the length of the goal to goal line, due to the players not able to kick far. We could get more scoring?
    I think making the ground smaller without changing the rules to include some form of anti-density control just makes it even harder to find space to switch the footy and run...not a fan of that idea.

Overall there is improvement year on year, but a long way to go.
    Not sold that this year is better than last year. Last year was pretty good. It seems to me the only time you are allowed to talk about the skill levels in the AFLW though without being told it is because they aren't full-time and what can you expect is in Round 1 of the next season when you are obliged to say how much it has improved from the previous year.

I watched 5x AFLW games last weekend including one live. I am a big supporter of the game...I get frustrated because you can't say anything about it that verges on 'constructive' as it means you are a hater.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

5. Thanks bornadog, josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not looking good for this week

AFLW staff, players enter AFL Health and Safety Protocols

The Western Bulldogs can confirm that several of its AFLW players and support staff have entered into the AFL’s Health and Safety Protocols, ruling out those affected from participating in Saturday’s Round 2 match against Geelong.

The Bulldogs will continue to work closely with the AFL to determine the next course of action in relation to the Club’s ability to participate in this weekend’s fixture, as per the AFLW Covid Match Rescheduling Guidelines.

The health and safety of the players and staff remains paramount for the Club and the AFL, as the football industry continues to navigate its way through the pandemic.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Dogs game and Lions games cancelled.

Cats and Carlton will now play each other.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Not good

Kirsten McLeod unfortunately will be moved to the Inactive List for the remainder of the 2022 season after ongoing concussion symptoms.

Post Thanks / Like

All our stars are dropping like flies.

10. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jemima Woods managed to get on the list may be a dark horse and she kicked 3 goals in a practice game.

"Train-on player Jemima Woods has signed with the Western Bulldogs AFLW team for season 2022.

Woods is an athletic tall forward with clean hands, a strong work rate, and the ability to pinch-hit in the ruck.

A former Western Jet and Bulldogs’ Next Generation Academy graduate, the 18-year-old donned the red, white and blue in last month’s AFLW intraclub match, kicking three goals, and AFLW practice match against North Melbourne."
    Link

Post Thanks / Like

Two games cancelled again including ours

https://www.womens.afl/news/81199/r3...lash-confirmed

Post Thanks / Like

It will be a wash out at this rate. Disappointing for the girls and the fans I wonder if this will be the same for the men when it starts.

Post Thanks / Like

Two games cancelled again including ours

https://www.womens.afl/news/81199/r3...lash-confirmed
    It's a struggle isn't it? A massive impact to the competition.
    Playing catch-up on games will be challenging to say the least.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    It will be a wash out at this rate. Disappointing for the girls and the fans I wonder if this will be the same for the men when it starts.
    You would have to think the men's comp will cop some challenges as well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

17. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Going to be tough for the women to make anything of the season from here - 2 games in 5 days, and then presumably another one 4-5 days after that, and still one more to make up at some point. That's a huge load on part time players - I hope we don't see an increase in injuries as a result.

19. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Going to be tough for the women to make anything of the season from here - 2 games in 5 days, and then presumably another one 4-5 days after that, and still one more to make up at some point. That's a huge load on part time players - I hope we don't see an increase in injuries as a result.
    Yeah tend to agree. Reality is not all the players who have a had COVID will be 100% either.
    More of an In Bruges guy?