Thanks Thanks:  253
Likes Likes:  442
Page 28 of 70 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Aflw 2022/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aflw 2022

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    AFLW is a farce atm.
    Expansion teams given free licence to raid us, foundation club.
    And Dan Andrews has stuffed up East west link and made the west political now, me a Labor supporter.
    Why is it a farce? It was always planned that every new club coming in could have an opportunity to grab a marque player. The talent pool is thin and therefore the players needed to be spread out amongst all 18 clubs. You will find next year will be different in trading and drafting.

PS: with limited funding Dan decided to spend money on public transport not freeways , ie Cranbourne metro line.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

LINK
    The Western Bulldogs have selected Northern Knights winger/forward Rylie Wilcox with their first selection (pick 21 overall) in the 2022 NAB AFLW Draft.

The 17-year-old is a classy and crafty small midfielder or forward, who is known for her evasive skills, decision-making, blistering speed and footy smarts.

She averaged 20 disposals, five marks and three tackles per game in the NAB League in 2022, and was a member of the 2022 AFLW National Championships All-Australian team.

Wilcox is a late bloomer in women’s football, having played soccer and hockey growing up before trying her hand at football in 2018.

She played a strong role in the Under 23 All-Stars clash with the NAB AFLW Academy in May, kicking two goals and winning 14 disposals, and also represented Carlton in the VFLW this year.

LINK
    The Western Bulldogs have drafted Sandringham Dragons midfielder Keely Coyne with their second selection, pick 29, in the 2022 NAB AFLW Draft.

Coyne, 17, was one of the Dragons most influential players this season, after impressing in a new role inside.

She averaged 20 disposals, five tackles and two inside 50s from her NAB League Girls’ campaign.

Coyne has clean hands, solid composure and makes good decisions under pressure.

Her versatility is also a highlight, having previously played as a forward before taking on more of a wing role for Vic Metro at this year’s AFLW U18 National Championships.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

3. Thanks bornadog, josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

LINK
    The Western Bulldogs have welcomed speedy forward/midfielder Heidi Woodley with their third pick in the 2022 NAB AFLW Draft.

Taken with pick 37 overall, the Calder Cannons product burst onto the scene at this year’s AFLW U18 Championships, catching the eyes of recruiters with her evasiveness and athleticism forward of the ball.

After suffering an injury in the opening round of the 2022 NAB League Girls season, she returned to the action in round seven, averaging 22 disposals, five tackles and five inside 50s in her final four outings.

The 17-year-old has plenty of upside and versatility too, boasting an ability to rotate through the midfield or out on a wing if needed.

5. Thanks josie, bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

LINK
    The Western Bulldogs have added Brooke Vernon to its playing list for AFLW season seven.

Taken with the Bulldogs’ final pick in the 2022 NAB AFLW Draft, Vernon was initially drafted to Carlton with pick 26 in 2019.

The 21-year-old managed three AFLW games across three seasons – remarkably two of those against the red, white and blue – before parting ways with Carlton this off-season.

Formerly a forward, Vernon relished a new role in defence with the Dandenong Stingrays in 2019, and was rewarded for her form with Vic Country representation.

Her ball-use by foot is one of her best strengths, and will significantly bolster the Bulldogs’ defensive stocks in season seven.

7. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So did we not take a full forward to replace one of the two that we lost?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    So did we not take a full forward to replace one of the two that we lost?
    Given our first pick was at 21, I’m not sure you’re going to get a FF who can step straight in and replace one of those 2.

Post Thanks / Like

AFLW Bulldogs to play home games away from VU Whitten Oval

Red here

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Not that I think it will matter too much given how depleted our team has become but that is a soft as hell draw. Don’t have to play either of the grand finalists and only two of the top six from last year.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Not that I think it will matter too much given how depleted our team has become but that is a soft as hell draw. Don’t have to play either of the grand finalists and only two of the top six from last year.
    Well you get a soft draw by being rubbish and we met our end of that bargain.

Unfortunately we will be more rubbish with the loss of players.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.womens.afl/news/95898?_g...497.1656566498

AFTER one of the most challenging AFLW seasons a club has faced, the Western Bulldogs look toward season seven with a sense of resilience and determination.

Despite losing some key players, they have developed a list with a real depth and versatility, which allows for a myriad of team options.

B: E. Brown N. Ferres
    HB: I. Grant K. Lynch S. Hartwig
    C: E. Bennetts J. Fitzgerald I. Pritchard
    HF: K. McLeod N. Morris-Dalton D. Berry
    F: D. Bateman M. Brown
    Foll: C. Moody E. Blackburn K. Lamb
    I/C: R. Cranston G. Newton B. Hunt R. Wilcox E. Georgostathis

Emerg: E. Snell A.Ling

After an action-packed trade and draft period, and ahead of AFLW season seven, womens.afl reporters Gemma Bastiani and Sarah Black have taken on the task of putting together each club's best 21 on paper. This isn't each side's likely R1 side, but rather a look at what each team's ideal line-up could be.

Changes from last season

After losing its two main avenues to goal from recent seasons in Bonnie Toogood and Isabel Huntington during the break, there were concerns over how the club would generate scores. But Kirsten McLeod's likely return after missing last season due to ongoing concussion symptoms, and more consistent appearances from Deanna Berry, they do look more solid in front of the ball.

Bringing on board Daisy Bateman and Millie Brown - who is slated to make the move into attack - will also help reshape the line, meanwhile they also have flexibility, with Richelle Cranston able to spend time forward, and the returning Gabby Newton also possessing the size and skill to impact in attack if needed.

On the wings, Isabelle Pritchard and Elle Bennetts are both powerful runners who can also compete in the contest, but the addition of Rylie Wilcox will assist in covering the loss of Brooke Lochland's endurance.

Celine Moody's development last season sees her continue to hold the No.1 ruck role. Structurally, however, this is where the Dogs will be interesting. For much of season six, Nathan Burke opted to go with two ruck options, playing Alice Edmonds alongside Moody. Depending on how opponents structure, that may continue to be how the Bulldogs choose to line up, but Moody's improvement does provide them with the flexibility to go with one pure ruck, with players like Cranston providing the chop out.

The other big loss during the offseason was Ellyse Gamble, but out of necessity last season the club adapted to life without her while she missed through injury and suspension. Isabella Grant spent the year in defence and excelled, so looks set to continue her career as an athletic rebounding defender alongside Sarah Hartwig. Eleanor Brown and Katie Lynch will continue to be the first-choice options to play on opposition key forwards.

In the mix

As is the club's recruitment strategy, there is plenty of flexibility within its depth players, meaning covering injury or even preparing for specific team structures is a viable option.

Britt Gutknecht was unlucky to miss this projected 21, especially given she has been known to hit the scoreboard in the past, but with small forwards McLeod, Berry and Bateman all in the side, there wasn't enough room for another mid/forward hybrid player.

Through the middle Amanda Ling, Elizabeth Snell and Gemma Lagioia sit on the fringes, both offering defensive run through the middle but don't quite yet win enough ball at senior level to push out the likes of fellow young players Fitzgerald or Pritchard.

Fresh draftee Keely Coyne, developing midfielder Annabel Strahan and key position players Heidi Woodley (forward) and Brooke Vernon (defence) will look to grow throughout season seven, offering depth to the list.

15. Thanks josie, jazzadogs, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

New numbers for eight AFLW Bulldogs

Eight AFLW Bulldogs have finalised their guernsey numbers ahead of the upcoming season seven.

Recruit Daisy Bateman has assumed #8, while Millie Brown will wear #20, made vacant by Isabelle Pritchard’s move to #4.

“I was previously #19 at Geelong, so I went with one number higher because I want to one up my previous self and be a better player,” Brown said of her decision.

Elizabeth Snell has also switched numbers, taking on #1 after enjoying her debut season in #26.

Draftees Heidi Woodley (#19), Keely Coyne (#22), and Rylie Wilcox (#37) have selected their first AFLW guernsey numbers.

“#37 is the number I had when my football journey really started,” Wilcox said.

“I had #37 at the Northern Knights, which was the first representative team I made for footy, and then stuck with it during the 2022 Knights season, so I thought it’d be cool to stick with it and carry it into the AFLW.”

Brooke Vernon will take on #32 – a nod to her junior football days.

“My first ever footy number was #32, when I played at Rye Juniors because I liked Travis Cloke at the time and he wore the same at Collingwood,” Vernon explained.

“He had a huge kick and I remember believing that if I had his number, I could kick like him.

“I’m not sure it actually helped my kicking, but I definitely helped me believe in my kicking more.”

The AFLW Bulldogs will host GWS in a practice match this Saturday morning at VU Whitten Oval.

AFLW S7 – Western Bulldogs guernsey numbers

#1 Elizabeth Snell
    #2 Ellie Blackburn
    #3 Isabella Grant
    #4 Isabelle Pritchard
    #5 Gabby Newton
    #6 Kirsten McLeod
    #7 Deanna Berry
    #8 Daisy Bateman
    #9 Eleanor Brown
    #10 Katie Lynch
    #11 Elle Bennetts
    #12 Gemma Lagioia
    #13 Celine Moody
    #15 Sarah Hartwig
    #16 Naomi Ferres
    #17 Elisabeth Georgostathis
    #18 Britney Gutknecht
    #19 Heidi Woodley
    #20 Millie Brown
    #21 Bailey Hunt
    #22 Keely Coyne
    #23 Jess Fitzgerald
    #24 Aurora Smith
    #25 Nell Morris-Dalton
    #27 Kirsty Lamb
    #29 Amanda Ling
    #30 Richelle Cranston
    #32 Brooke Vernon
    #33 Alice Edmonds
    #35 Annabel Strahan
    #37 Rylie Wilcox

*Bold indicates new numbers.

LINK

17. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Season only a few weeks away. No new membership fees, so you can use the last membership to watch games.

Post Thanks / Like

The practice match today will be live streamed on the Bulldogs site bounce at 11.30am
    https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...practice-match

20. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good start to the Dogs Morris-Dalton looking ok up forward and Fitzgerald is getting a fair bit of it.
    Brown playing in the middle.

22. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post