Thanks Thanks:  253
Likes Likes:  442
Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast

Thread: Aflw 2022/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aflw 2022

Issy Grant looks to have improved a little bit and got involved. It was a game of almost and yeah don't know about Burke seems a nice guy but we have stagnated since he has been in charge.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Issy Grant looks to have improved a little bit and got involved. It was a game of almost and yeah don't know about Burke seems a nice guy but we have stagnated since he has been in charge.
    Issy in that backline is a good move. Hopefully Huntington has a jarred knee and not an ACL
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought our first five minutes was good, with some really nice passages linking up short passes to move the ball forward. We then got broken open 3 times on turnovers/quick entries, gave up the corridor and conceded 3 easy goals. Although we increased our intensity from the second quarter onwards, our skills and ball movement really dropped away. Ellie had some uncharacteristic errors, but in general most of our disposal was rushed and ineffective - kudos to the demons for the pressure they put us under.

I felt that our defence held up well - Brown was great on Harris while Pritchard, Grant, Guest and Ferres (16 touches) all had good moments. They often had extended periods in our defensive 50 where we didn't give them an inch.

Georgostathis had a solid game - 14 touches, 5 tackles but seemed to be really involved. She still goes to ground too often for me, but makes up for it with her intensity.

Of the new players, Elle Bennetts was a great assistant for Ellie in the middle. Alice Edmonds competed well in the ruck against Pearce, one of the best rucks in the comp - she actually had the most hitouts on the field. I liked Snell's pressure and speed, hopefully she recovers from her big knock. Cranston was disappointing, and Ling seemed underutilized.

If I was giving votes it would be
    4 Blackburn
    3 Georgostathis
    2 Lochland
    1 Bennetts

5. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes Hotdog60 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The catastrophic knee injuries in womens footy are a huge issue. Huntington and Davey both gone in Rd 1 is like the equivalent of Aaron Naughton and Clayton Oliver going down in the men’s game.

I don’t know what can be done, but it’s such a shame to see so many of them cut down like this.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

7. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    The catastrophic knee injuries in womens footy are a huge issue. Huntington and Davey both gone in Rd 1 is like the equivalent of Aaron Naughton and Clayton Oliver going down in the men’s game.

I don’t know what can be done, but it’s such a shame to see so many of them cut down like this.
    Playing in summer on hard grounds doesn't help

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

Kate Lutkins too and she is an absolute gun (3 times All Australian and BOG in last year's grand final).

Post Thanks / Like

Any word on Huntington yet?
    Absolute gun.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    Kate Lutkins too and she is an absolute gun (3 times All Australian and BOG in last year's grand final).
    Damn, another one. It’s tragic.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Any word on Huntington yet?
    Absolute gun.

This stinks

Western Bulldogs star forward Isabel Huntington will not return in season 2022 after rupturing her right ACL graft.

The 22-year-old sustained the injury during the second quarter of Saturday’s opening round loss to Melbourne, with scans also confirming damage to her lateral meniscus.

Huntington will undergo a surgical consult this week.

“We are absolutely devastated for Izzy – she is a much-loved figure at the Kennel, and everyone is well aware of her injury battles, so we’re just heartbroken for her,” General Manager of Women’s Football, Debbie Lee, said.

“She worked extremely hard this preseason to get herself ready for this year, so it’s a real shame her 2022 campaign has been cut short.

“Izzy is a true professional though, and having been through this twice before she will know what’s required of her.

“As a Club, we’ll continue to support her and the family in any way we can.”

Since being drafted with pick one in 2017, Huntington has played 20 games in the red, white and blue.

She finished third in the Bulldogs’ best and fairest count last year, after claiming the NAB AFLW Rising Star award and All Australian selection in 2020.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This stinks
    Honestly BAD, you've undersold how devastating this is for the club and in particular Izzy and her teammates.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Horrible news. She deserves nothing but good injury luck from here on in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Honestly BAD, you've undersold how devastating this is for the club and in particular Izzy and her teammates.
    Oh no I haven't I am pretty devastated for her. She is our second most important player after the Captain

Post Thanks / Like

That is absolute shit news she can't take a trick
    At 22 I hope it doesn't cut her career short ala Clay Smith.
    Knees in Womens sport is the pits and more research needs to go into the mechanisms and how to reduce the ACL's happening.
    A lot of these knees don't appear to be contact injuries but more movement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Knees in Womens sport is the pits and more research needs to go into the mechanisms and how to reduce the ACL's happening.
    A lot of these knees don't appear to be contact injuries but more movement.
    I think that covers it.

It isn't knee injuries we need to reduce - but rather non-contact knee injuries.

And the issue is a simple one - a weakness ANYWHERE in your body can and WILL cause an overload somewhere else. For so many years, netball was blamed as a 'knee killer' in female athletes. Then as more took up soccer and (more recently) Rugby and Australian Footy we all discovered that the sudden stops in netball weren't the issue...it was the combination of stop start movement/cod and female athletes that seemed to place so many ACL's under stress.

As for doing 'more' research, well....LOTS has been done. And everyone has a theory. But unfortunately putting the theories into effect/testing them out is going to take years and not weeks...because most of the theories involve movement patterning and full body strength/movement development. Add to this the problem that the athletes in question (teenagers) don't want to do bear crawls and isolateral holds - they want to play footy...footy is fun, the other stuff is 'boring' and, well...what's the guarantee it's going to help?

It's a real issue across the globe. Collegiate soccer in the US is being decimated as well...

We run a Developing Athletes Program at the gym and have to carefully balance the prehab work (which in the coaches notes is ACL and Shoulder management based) with the speed and strength work...Why? 'Cos the parents and athletes see something tangible from the speed/strength stuff (numbers go up) whereas with the prehab stuff they just get bored and irritated...basically, doing this stuff is important BUT it's also a tough sell to athletes.

This whole issue is a real challenge.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

19. Thanks GVGjr, jeemak, Daughter of the West thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    It's a real issue across the globe. Collegiate soccer in the US is being decimated as well...

We run a Developing Athletes Program at the gym and have to carefully balance the prehab work (which in the coaches notes is ACL and Shoulder management based) with the speed and strength work...Why? 'Cos the parents and athletes see something tangible from the speed/strength stuff (numbers go up) whereas with the prehab stuff they just get bored and irritated...basically, doing this stuff is important BUT it's also a tough sell to athletes.

This whole issue is a real challenge.
    After writing my post I went for a look mainly at US soccer because I thought it would have the most info available and one article I read and it was a scan because of all the technical jargon said that they had ran a study in the US were training processes were put in place with balance and strengthening workouts but this would up 90 mins extra to a training session.
    So it show very good results early on but tapered off due to the participants not willing to put in the extra time needed and I also think this training was more beneficial to athletes that haven't done any prior knee damage.

So as you say getting them to do the work is a tough sell and maybe this is a reason to make woman's AFL professional and the preventative stuff is enforced by the coaches.

21. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post