Thanks Thanks:  253
Likes Likes:  442
Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast

Thread: Aflw 2022/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aflw 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    After writing my post I went for a look mainly at US soccer because I thought it would have the most info available and one article I read and it was a scan because of all the technical jargon said that they had ran a study in the US were training processes were put in place with balance and strengthening workouts but this would up 90 mins extra to a training session.
    So it show very good results early on but tapered off due to the participants not willing to put in the extra time needed and I also think this training was more beneficial to athletes that haven't done any prior knee damage.

So as you say getting them to do the work is a tough sell and maybe this is a reason to make woman's AFL professional and the preventative stuff is enforced by the coaches.
    The issue in regards to putting in extra time is the players are part time and have everyday fulltime jobs.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Sports doctor admits code has problem as season ends for Isabel Huntington, Brianna Davey

A spike in knee ACL injuries in the AFLW in comparison to other sports played by females has been described by a leading sports doctor as “really concerning” following a weekend of carnage.

It was confirmed on Monday that Western Bulldogs star Izzy Huntington and Collingwood co-captain Brianna Davey both suffered ACL injuries in the first round of the season.

It is Huntington’s third ACL rupture at the age of just 22.

“We are absolutely devastated for Izzy, she is a much-loved figure at the Kennel and everyone is well aware of her injury battles, so we’re just heartbroken for her,” Bulldogs general manager of women’s football Debbie Lee said.

At Collingwood, this is Davey’s second ACL tear on the same knee she injured in 2018.

The Magpies star has also torn her medial ligament.

“We are all heartbroken for Bri,” Magpies women’s football boss Jess Burger said.

“It’s very hard to see our captain go down with such a cruel injury, let alone someone who is at the top of their game.

“There is no doubt her injury has been felt not just within our team, but across the entire AFLW community.”

Brisbane Lion Kate Lutkins is also believed to have suffered a serious knee injury from the opening round, but is still awaiting confirmation.

Renowned sports medico Dr Peter Larkins said it was an ongoing issue and particularly for AFLW players.

“When I gave a talk last year, I talked about how the knee ACL surge was happening in women’s sport, and women have a five or six times higher incidence of knee ACL’s than men,” he said.

“Except in the AFL, where it has been 10 times higher since 2016.

“AFL even has higher problems than soccer or netball or basketball, or in other words the sports that women still play and injure their knee.

“So, there is something specific about the demands and the changes of direction, but things like the muscular strength around the knee is different in women.

“Things like the anatomy, the shape of the leg, the hormonal changes are the same in every sport, and so the AFL incidents are really concerning.

“The data I showed last year was the 2020 data, which in the AFL men’s season over the past 22 years we’ve averaged 13.5 ACL injuries across all the men’s clubs.

“In the women’s season we had 14 ACL’s in five weeks.”

Dr Larkins said they were techniques AFLW clubs could use to lessen the risk of serious knee injury.

“You can’t change the game, so you’ve got to change the individual factors around strength, landing techniques, learning how to fall when they’re tackled,” he said.

“What women need to be doing is more pre-seasons of strength and specifically on the stabiliser muscles around the knee and the hip.”

Post Thanks / Like

It puts a huge dampener on the sport itself. I watch a women’s game and cringe throughout it just waiting for a knee to blow out.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

As semi professional leagues I wonder if the VFL and other state leagues have as many knee injuries as the AFLW as a comparison?

The injury rate for the league is a massive concern and as Comrade has pointed out it's a distraction for the competition.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The issue in regards to putting in extra time is the players are part time and have everyday fulltime jobs.
    A lot of the various men's leagues have players with other full time employment. I wonder how many knee injuries they have?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Dogs scratching for numbers as skipper ruled out

THE WESTERN Bulldogs are facing a selection headache for their upcoming match against Geelong, with skipper Ellie Blackburn ruled out through the AFL's health and safety protocols.

While COVID-19 hasn't been a huge issue for the club as yet, injuries have, with coach Nathan Burke saying the Bulldogs had the bare minimum to choose from for their loss to Melbourne.

Young pair Aurora Smith and Annabel Strahan were the Bulldogs' emergencies in round one and were the side's last remaining available players.

Key defender Katie Lynch is a chance to return from a quad injury, as is Sarah Hartwig (health and safety), but Ellyse Gamble (ankle), Deanna Berry (ACL) and Hannah Scott are at least several weeks away.

Burke said defender Bailey Hunt was a "maybe" for this week.

The club leant on top-up players Jemima Woods, Eliza Morrison and Riley Christoergl in its heavy practice match loss to North Melbourne.

During the season, top-up players can be selected (either in the 21 or as emergencies) if the club has fewer than 23 available players.

The AFL's COVID regulations state that games will go ahead until a club has fewer than 16 primary listed players (and five top-up players) available, upon which it will be either postponed or cancelled at a last resort.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I meant by being professional as make football their full time job. Hopefully the training can be put in and the skill should also increase. It might be time with the final expansion clubs coming in to make the Women's comp the curtain raiser to the men.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how much input VU has to the women's program?
    The partnership basically saved Easton Wood's career although Easton was in basically a 3 month full time rehab/prehab environment for that to happen.

Surely AFLW players would be amenable to prehab work seeing up close how many of their teammates and opponents are sufferring from ACLs.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

10. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    It puts a huge dampener on the sport itself. I watch a women’s game and cringe throughout it just waiting for a knee to blow out.
    Yep, same with me. I enjoy watching the girls play and fulfil their dream of playing the game but every time a player (does not matter which side) looks like they’ve got an injured knee I cringe. I certainly hope our club is looking into the 90 mins extra training a session to reduce risk. Surely some of these exercises can be done at home too?

Izzy is such an exciting player and seems like a really good person too. Footy gods are bloody cruel.

Post Thanks / Like

How does it compare with the ammos for eg or other reasonably high level local leagues?

I guess my question is : is it the training loads/higher performance nature of the aflw compared to those leagues?
    Or is it gender based?

It's bloody rough on the players to cop these horrendous injuries I feel for them after all that preparation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    How does it compare with the ammos for eg or other reasonably high level local leagues?

I guess my question is : is it the training loads/higher performance nature of the aflw compared to those leagues?
    Or is it gender based?

It's bloody rough on the players to cop these horrendous injuries I feel for them after all that preparation.
    One thing the women seem to go in hard without any regard to the consequences. I noticed that when my wife's niece was playing, and there were lots of injuries.

So after this weekend, 3 x ACLs, plus a Carlton player has 3 broken ribs

14. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    That's what I meant by being professional as make football their full time job. Hopefully the training can be put in and the skill should also increase. It might be time with the final expansion clubs coming in to make the Women's comp the curtain raiser to the men.
    I think there would be pretty strong pushback from AFLW players, officials and fans to it being played as a curtain raiser to the men's games - the argument being that AFLW is the elite of the women's game, so should have a standalone fixture. It's one of the main reasons that the current season has started so early, to give the season its own space.

Post Thanks / Like

Mjp is spot on - as with many injuries, people mostly just want to rehab to their previous level and once they are there frequently think 'that'll do' and ignore the advice around preventive exercise/therapy. It doesn't matter how good the evidence is on its own - if you can't convince the athlete/patient that it is worth their time and they will benefit from it then you won't see the benefits.

As a physio, trying to find the Goldilocks level of exercise is tough - you want to give enough that its effective, but not so much that they get overwhelmed/therapy fatigued and don't do it.

17. Thanks Grantysghost, bornadog, jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So after this weekend, 3 x ACLs, plus a Carlton player has 3 broken ribs
    She does - standing in the hole in front of a leading forward and doing ZERO to protect herself...I have a post in draft about the AFLW but the fundamentals of the game (or lack of fundamentals) combined with the coaches being allowed to do what they want are killing my enjoyment of the game.

* TEACH the girls how to protect themselves in collision situations. The situation with the Carlton girl (that the commentators refuse to mention) is what she did had one potential outcome - serious injury. Get yourself side on and go back spoiling with your front hand/back elbow tucked in, back knee up. This is actually easy to coach.
    * Get them to handball with the correct hand. It will make it SO MUCH EASIER to connect possession chains with handball which will help open up the game.
    *.The girls need to stop double grabbing the footy. It's killing the game and is why the better players are able to basically dominate.

*** The coaches MUST BE STOPPED. 32 players in 20m2 of grass is simply a joke. No one can clear the congestion. The game is different to the mens because the players are different. Because Tayla Harris can kick the ball 50m doesn't mean everyone can - most battle with distances beyond 30m. That's OK - the game is still good...but open it up. Play the 3+2 anti-congestion rules from the talent competitions. Do SOMETHING about the 'not looking at the ball' tagging happening to the better mids. It should be a players game - not a coaches game. Open it up - put rules in place to prevent the coaches locking the game down and preventing scoring...and don't mention the stand rule...what a farce - if you can't hit the 45's anyway what is the actual point of this rule? It is dumb in the mens and it is dumber in the AFLW.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

19. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes josie, Hotdog60 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    She does - standing in the hole in front of a leading forward and doing ZERO to protect herself...I have a post in draft about the AFLW but the fundamentals of the game (or lack of fundamentals) combined with the coaches being allowed to do what they want are killing my enjoyment of the game.

* TEACH the girls how to protect themselves in collision situations. The situation with the Carlton girl (that the commentators refuse to mention) is what she did had one potential outcome - serious injury. Get yourself side on and go back spoiling with your front hand/back elbow tucked in, back knee up. This is actually easy to coach.
    This should start from the junior leagues up - what are the coaches teaching them.

*.The girls need to stop double grabbing the footy. It's killing the game and is why the better players are able to basically dominate.
    How many times do you see this in a game. Also a lot of the players seem to hesitate for a split second when they have get the ball, and they are tackled hard and caught holding the ball.

The game is different to the mens because the players are different. Because Tayla Harris can kick the ball 50m doesn't mean everyone can - most battle with distances beyond 30m.
    What do you think about shortening the length of the goal to goal line, due to the players not able to kick far. We could get more scoring?

Overall there is improvement year on year, but a long way to go.