Thanks Thanks:  253
Likes Likes:  442
Page 40 of 70 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Aflw 2022/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aflw 2022/2023

A pass on 15 must mean the pool is very thin.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    A pass on 15 must mean the pool is very thin.
    It was basically like the mid season rookie draft in the AFL. It was only mature age players so mostly consisted of recycled players. This was due to the back to back seasons:

The draft was a once-off supplementary and restricted to mature-age players who were born in 2004 or earlier. It featured many of the same prospects as last year?s draft pool. This is because there were two AFLW seasons last year, as the league moved from a summer competition and extended the number of rounds played in the regular season. Those who were drafted in June played two months later for the August start and combined school and football rather than waiting until a January start date.

It was similar to the AFL?s mid-season rookie draft, given there are no new 18-year-olds added to the pool, and players born in 2005 will have to wait for the draft ahead of the 2023 season.

3. Thanks Hotdog60 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    It was basically like the mid season rookie draft in the AFL. It was only mature age players so mostly consisted of recycled players. This was due to the back to back seasons:
    Just another galaxy brain bit of planning from AFL HQ.

Is there a start date for the next season?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Just another galaxy brain bit of planning from AFL HQ.

Is there a start date for the next season?
    I don't think there has been a date confirmed but one would expect it to run from August to November as per last season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I don't think there has been a date confirmed but one would expect it to run from August to November as per last season.
    No start date as yet.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs sign McFarlane to AFLW list

The Western Bulldogs have signed Brianna McFarlane as an unrestricted free agent for AFLW Season Eight.

The Western Bulldogs have signed Brianna McFarlane as an unrestricted free agent for AFLW Season Eight.

McFarlane is a strong marking forward with great athleticism, and has the ability to pinch-hit in the ruck.

Hailing from Yamba in northern NSW, she spent the early parts of her youth playing soccer and picked up Aussie Rules later than most.

But within six months of switching codes, McFarlane played for Coolangatta Tweed in the QAFLW, represented NSW/ACT and was selected for the Eastern Allies.

This experience saw her signed as a rookie at Brisbane for AFLW seasons 2018 and 2019, but a shoulder injury hindered her chances at debuting.

After undergoing a dual shoulder reconstruction, McFarlane returned to footy with Southport in the QAFLW and then signed with the Bulldogs’ VFLW team for 2023.

The 22-year-old has averaged seven disposals and three marks across the VFLW opening two rounds.

McFarlane joins Dominique Carruthers as the newest AFLW Bulldogs for season eight.

LINK

8. Thanks bornadog, josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We've also signed Maggie Gorham, a former GWS player who initially left AFLW in 2020 after not feeling it was right for her and has been playing for Ainslie in Canberra. Lot of good attributes as she is efficent in front of goal, has fast hands and moves the ball quickly by foot.

10. Thanks Hotdog60, josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally VFLW team registered their first win in 18 months
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes Hotdog60, Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

New additions:

Dom Carruthers (draft)
    Bri McFarlane (undrafted free agent)
    Maggie Gorham (undrafted free agent)
    Very quietly, and with little fanfare, the Dogs have had a fantastic offseason. Retaining 27 of its season seven list, the club boasts a wonderful balance of youth and experience.

In addition to this, two former AFLW-listed players have earned a second shot at the top level. Brianna McFarlane had a tough run when first listed with Brisbane, requiring shoulder surgery and failing to make her debut.

McFarlane is a tall, but tough, midfielder who can reliably get forward and sneak some goals. She is just the kind of player to deepen the Bulldogs' midfield group, spreading the load and taking some pressure off Ellie Blackburn and Kirsty Lamb at the contest. Draftee Dom Carruthers will also bring a point of difference to the midfield, as a hard two-way runner.

Maggie Gorham is the other getting another chance, formerly the No.4 selection in the 2019 draft but chose to step away from footy for personal reasons. Now having rediscovered her love for the game, Gorham is an exciting replacement for Nell Morris-Dalton in attack.

If the Dogs can sure up their attack, they look all but certain to make finals once again this year, and continue to do so with the same core group as they grow together.

LINK

14. Thanks bornadog, HOSE B ROMERO, josie, azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFLW draftees handed 2023 guernsey numbers

The Western Bulldogs AFLW draftees have been handed their guernsey numbers ahead of the upcoming season eight.

Having already taken to the field in the VFLW red, white and blue, Dominique Carruthers and Brianna McFarlane will continue in numbers 14 and 58 respectively.

Canberran Maggie Gorham will wear the number 26.

Carruthers said she had a few connections to #14, leading to her decision.

“There’s a few reasons why I picked #14 – my little nephew was born on the 14th, and my niece on the 7th (half of 14),” Carruthers explained.

“I grew up supporting the Swans, and #14 was also Paul Kelly’s number – not to mention a friend of mine reminded me that it is also Troy Bolton’s (from High School Musical) number too.”

#14 was vacant in season seven, while #58 has never been worn at the AFLW Bulldogs before.

#26 was last occupied at the Bulldogs in 2021.

The AFLW Bulldogs will commence pre-season training in just under a fortnight’s time, on Monday 29 May.

#14 Dominique Carruthers

“My little nephew was born on the 14th, and my niece on the 7th (half of 14). Seven has always been my lucky number too.

I grew up supporting the Swans, and #14 was also Paul Kelly’s number – not to mention a friend of mine reminded me that it is also Troy Bolton’s (from High School Musical) number too.”

#26 Maggie Gorham

“I’ve been playing in the number six for my local club in Canberra for a while now, so thought #26 was probably the next best thing!”

#58 Brianna McFarlane

“When I decided to play at Southport Sharks though, #58 was the number given to me and I just loved playing in that jumper, so thought why not make it my own.”

LINK

Post Thanks / Like

It's the number of someone from High School Musical?

Wowsers.

Scott West anyone? Doug Hawkins?

Can our media team help the girls out??

Post Thanks / Like

She's not talking about #7 she's talking about #14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    She's not talking about #7 she's talking about #14
    I’m not sure my point is any less relevant.

Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs bolster AFLW coaching panel

The Western Bulldogs have finalised their AFLW coaching panel ahead of the upcoming season eight.

The Western Bulldogs have finalised their AFLW coaching panel ahead of the upcoming season eight, appointing Kate McCarthy, Matt Skubis and Shaun Campbell as assistant coaches.

McCarthy is no stranger to the red, white and blue, currently acting as a playing/assistant coach for the VFLW Bulldogs.

Skubis joins the ranks from Carlton AFLW, while Campbell signs on following an extensive playing and coaching career across Victoria and ACT.

Before moving into the coaching space, McCarthy played 42 AFLW games across Brisbane, St Kilda and Hawthorn.

She was named in the inaugural AFLW All Australian team in 2017, and also claimed the QWAFL Best and Fairest that same year.

Skubis joins the Kennel after leading Carlton’s forward-line in season seven, with 15 years of coaching experience.

Prior to his time at Carlton, Skubis was the development and backline coach for the Brisbane Lions Girls ’Academy (2021-2022), senior assistant backline coach at Sherwood Magpies in the QAFL (2021-2022) and senior assistant at Darebin in the VFLW (2019-2020).

He also spent as an AFL runner for both Gold Coast Suns (2014-2017) and Brisbane Lions (2009-2010).

Campbell arrives at the Club with extensive coaching experience across several leagues, including AFL Canberra, and Metro Melbourne.

“We’re thrilled to have appointed three quality people and experienced coaches to our AFLW program in Kate, Matt and Shaun,” Bulldogs’ Head of Football, Chris Grant said.

“We’ve witnessed Kate’s abilities first hand as an assistant coach in our VFLW program this season and look forward to seeing what more she can bring to our senior women’s side.

“Matt brings plenty of experience, including working with female athletes and players at the highest national level, making him a clear standout in the recruiting process.

“We are also excited to welcome Shaun to the program in a new role as Stoppage Coach. As a Club, we are very committed to providing coaches who have been performing at a high level outside the traditional state and national pathways with opportunities to continue their development with us at AFL level.

“We believe Shaun’s appointment represents a great example of our commitment to developing coaches for future roles within the AFLW competition.”

McCarthy (forward-line), Skubis (backline) and Campbell (stoppages) join premiership player Nicole Callinan (player development manager) as new additions to the coaching panel.

Head coach Nathan Burke will enter his fifth season at the helm, while AFL-listed player Josh Bruce will continue to help out as a development coach where possible.

2023 AFLW coaching panel

Head Coach: Nathan Burke

Forwards Coach: Kate McCarthy

Backline Coach: Matt Skubis

Stoppages Coach: Shaun Campbell

Player Development Manager: Nicole Callinan

Development Coach: Josh Bruce

LINK

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see Bruce still doing Development work
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.