Thanks Thanks:  253
Likes Likes:  442
Page 20 of 70 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Aflw 2022/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aflw 2022

If we lose a bunch of star players again I'm done, how are we supposed to compete when an expansion club comes in offering big money and a job at their club or a car? If we lose two of Blackburn, Lamb and Toogood I give up on the AFLW, what's the point?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah just saw that Blackburn might be going to Sydney. I really just can’t support this if any player you even remotely begin to like gets shipped off so the competition can cannibalise itself over and over again. We’d be the worst team by a long way if our four best players all leave at once.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

3. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.womens.afl/news/91850/ri...star-dogs-trio

THE WESTERN Bulldogs are at the centre of a huge rival AFLW raid ahead of a blockbuster sign and trade period, with captain Ellie Blackburn, star midfielder Kirsty Lamb and gun forward Bonnie Toogood all currently weighing up significant interest from elsewhere.

Womens.afl understands Blackburn is the target of an aggressive pursuit from new expansion club Sydney, St Kilda is hoping Lamb will bolster a young and developing midfield group, while Hawthorn has expressed an interest in Toogood.

As reported last week, popular Bulldogs forward Isabel Huntington is also attracting interest from Greater Western Sydney as she weighs up her options following a third ACL injury sustained earlier this year.

Three of the four Bulldogs players being chased by rival clubs – Blackburn, Lamb and Toogood – are 2018 premiership players, while the same three had also been named in an extended AFLW All-Australian squad of 40 on Wednesday.

As revealed by womens.afl earlier this week, Sydney is hunting prolific North Melbourne star Ash Riddell and has now also added Blackburn to its high-profile list of targets ahead of its maiden AFLW campaign next season.

Blackburn, captain of the Dogs for the past four seasons, was the club's premiership skipper in 2018 and has since gone on to record three AFLW All-Australian appearances and two best and fairest awards at the Whitten Oval.

St Kilda is hoping to prise Lamb from the Bulldogs, with the club desperate to add experience to a young midfield group that struggled this season and ultimately finished second-last with a 2-8 record.

It comes after a career-best season for the 27-year-old, after she averaged 18.7 disposals per game. Her year was highlighted by an inspired display against Geelong, where she won 26 disposals and seven tackles.

Meanwhile, Hawthorn is interested in adding Toogood as the centrepiece of the club's new forward line as the Hawks also prepare for their inaugural AFLW season under former premiership-winning coach Bec Goddard.

Toogood, a strong-marking youngster, was the Dogs' leading goalkicker this season after finishing the year with 10 goals from 10 games. She has kicked a total of 29 goals from 37 games in the competition.

AFLW clubs are still waiting for confirmation from the League as to whether they will be compensated for losing players to expansion sides and how that compensation, if allocated, will be dished out.

If all this comes to fruition I too will give this competition a miss. Not worth getting emotionally involved in.

Post Thanks / Like

If Blackburn goes, just shut the doors.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

6. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If Blackburn goes, just shut the doors.
    Question.

Why aren't we doing the raiding?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Question.

Another question. Why do our players want to leave after we continually hear how close they are? I know it hasn't happened yet but....Brennan, Conti, Kearney etc.

9. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Question.

Rumor on the street is other clubs can offer jobs, property and other off field opportunities. So really back to the 1980's and 1990's prior to the salary cap etc etc in the mens comp
    More of an In Bruges guy?

11. Likes Testekill, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Rumor on the street is other clubs can offer jobs, property and other off field opportunities. So really back to the 1980's and 1990's prior to the salary cap etc etc in the mens comp
    Have we nothing to offer? It's not exactly like we are the paupers we once were.

Post Thanks / Like

Have we nothing to offer? It's not exactly like we are the paupers we once were.
    Surely we have a few Disney internships on offer...
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

There are rules in place that we can't participate in. Expansion clubs get better access. The idea is you spread the talent amongst the 18 clubs, but surely we can't lose every good player on our list
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    There are rules in place that we can't participate in. Expansion clubs get better access. The idea is you spread the talent amongst the 18 clubs, but surely we can't lose every good player on our list
    Especially when Melbourne doesn't appear to have lost any.

In fact they gained Libby Birch from us.

I notice she writes columns for Fairfax. Wonder if that was through a Demons connection.

16. Likes Testekill, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Especially when Melbourne doesn't appear to have lost any.

In fact they gained Libby Birch from us.

I notice she writes columns for Fairfax. Wonder if that was through a Demons connection.
    I'd say so. Fairfax is owned by channel 9.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

18. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    If we lose a bunch of star players again I'm done, how are we supposed to compete when an expansion club comes in offering big money and a job at their club or a car? If we lose two of Blackburn, Lamb and Toogood I give up on the AFLW, what's the point?
    I'm with you on that if we lose two of those I'm done with the AFLW. I've been following the Team since the first promo game with Melbourne and I'm sick of getting picked to pieces.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    St.Kilda and GWS are 2 of the vultures after our players. Not expansion clubs either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I'm with you on that if we lose two of those I'm done with the AFLW. I've been following the Team since the first promo game with Melbourne and I'm sick of getting picked to pieces.
    Similar sentiments. We largely build our own then are pillaged. AFL should be trying to build loyal supporter base, not break their hearts time and again. If we lose Toogood, Lamb, Huntington and Blackburn after they’ve all said they love the club then I think I will lose my interest.