Thanks Thanks:  253
Likes Likes:  442
Page 38 of 70 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Aflw 2022/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aflw 2022

Lisa Webb has revealed her plans for the new-look Fremantle AFLW side after being announced as the club’s new head coach. They’re set to be highly influenced by her profession, writes ELIZA REILLY.

Lisa Webb will use more than a decade’s experience as a teacher to accelerate the development of the Dockers’ next generation after being appointed Fremantle’s new AFLW coach.

As revealed by CODE Sports on Friday morning, the former Dockers player and assistant won the hotly contested race to become the club’s third coach after Trent Cooper was sacked in November.

Webb becomes just the second former AFLW player to graduate to the role of coach, following in the footsteps of Port Adelaide’s Lauren Arnell, but she is the first senior mentor to take the reins of her former club.

It’s also the first senior coaching role the 38-year-old has held but Webb believes her teaching background at Newman College and experience as an assistant, at Fremantle and most recently the Western Bulldogs, has prepared her for the hot seat.

“I’ve been a teacher for more than 12 years. I’ve led programs at school level and held roles as head of sport and acting head of sport. I’ve had a lot of leadership positions which gives me good practice for this moving forward,” Webb said.

As part of the second round of interviews, Webb was asked to present her vision for Fremantle’s future to the coaching selection panel.

In the wake of a disappointing three-win season, Webb believes the Dockers’ younger stars can help bridge the gap back to contention by stepping up alongside the likes of certified stars Kiara Bowers, Hayley Miller and Ebony Antonio.

“There’s some great leaders here but also their core group of young players are fantastic. That’s something that as a teacher I’ll best prepare myself to get growth out of the younger players,” she said.

“There are a lot of great things Trent has done over the years. In terms of what I see, we’ve got great inside players. (It’s) how we can get the ball outside, how we can have a greater connection piece and our ball movement will be something I’m focusing on especially with the younger players.”

Webb was targeted by Fremantle to take part in their interview process, admitting her connection with the players convinced her to pursue the position.

“The playing group … to work with them again was something I never thought would happen but I’m really blessed,” she said.

“I think that’s one of my strengths, being able to galvanise these girls. That’s going to be one of my strengths, working with these girls and making sure we all go in the same direction together.”

Fremantle CEO Simon Garlick noted the club had found the “best available AFLW coach”, a necessity given the Dockers have three seasons left to win their inaugural AFLW premiership as per the club’s 2025 strategic plan.

“We won’t put a ceiling on this year but we’re confident we’ll be able to achieve some special things in the next few years,” he said.

Garlick added the club’s process was “thorough” from the outset despite Fremantle making an unsuccessful play for Collingwood assistant Jordan Roughead before advertising the job on the open market.

“Processes like this, if you’re going to run them properly, can’t have external influences from stakeholders. You can’t go in with a preferred candidate in mind for instance,” he said.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aflw 2022/2023

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes josie, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.womens.afl/news/118308?_...022.1616056559

Just when we thought we were finally over the looting of our playing list due to expansion, the AFLW announces that next month we could lose two players to poaching to the four newest clubs.

We're not the lone rangers in this and let us hope that the top 4 teams who can each lose up to five players are hit the hardest but bloody hell.

Brisbane are sitting very pretty with a great list with no same state expansion team and a very weak and unattractive
    GC their only in competitor for playing talent in Queensland. Almost odds on to be premiers later this year.

5. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    https://www.womens.afl/news/118308?_...022.1616056559

Just when we thought we were finally over the looting of our playing list due to expansion, the AFLW announces that next month we could lose two players to poaching to the four newest clubs.

We're not the lone rangers in this and let us hope that the top 4 teams who can each lose up to five players are hit the hardest but bloody hell.

Brisbane are sitting very pretty with a great list with no same state expansion team and a very weak and unattractive
    GC their only in competitor for playing talent in Queensland. Almost odds on to be premiers later this year.
    We have been one of the worst hit during the 7 seasons and I fear we will again be losers.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

This really gives me the shits. We've already lost key players last year and should be exempt from being press ganged again this year.
    When we started in the comp we were very competitive and with the expansions forming it has pushed us down the ladder unlike the other pioneer club which just seems to get stronger.
    Fark off AFL!
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

8. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess thank god we only have so many players that have played three of more seasons specifically because we constantly got ****ed by expansion poaching.

Post Thanks / Like

I have zero issue losing players to ensure we have a viable and sustainable competition moving forward. In 10 years we'll have a competition of real AFLW players. Not basketballers, not pole vaulters but actual footballers. I'm already seeing it at junior level. Girls playing since Auskick. They are absolute guns.

It will still take a little time but they are coming and we need a strong, even competition to accommodate them.

Post Thanks / Like

Pies losing Chloe Molloy would hurt them. If the Swans can get her, then get Issy on the field, that improves them significantly...not enough to be a finals side, but they were non competitive last year.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm all for an even comp but surely we have given enough it's time for the Dees and Crows and Brisbane to feel the pinch.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

13. Likes josie, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I have zero issue losing players to ensure we have a viable and sustainable competition moving forward. In 10 years we'll have a competition of real AFLW players. Not basketballers, not pole vaulters but actual footballers. I'm already seeing it at junior level. Girls playing since Auskick. They are absolute guns.

It will still take a little time but they are coming and we need a strong, even competition to accommodate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I'm all for an even comp but surely we have given enough it's time for the Dees and Crows and Brisbane to feel the pinch.
    agree, we need to spread the talent but we can't be the only club giving up players

15. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    agree, we need to spread the talent but we can't be the only club giving up players
    Yep 100% everyone needs to do some lifting

Post Thanks / Like

And it starts, Magpies have lost Chloe Molloy to the Swans and look to be losing Ciocci and Lambert to the Saints in exchange for a trade that looks like it will include White.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    And it starts, Magpies have lost Chloe Molloy to the Swans and look to be losing Ciocci and Lambert to the Saints in exchange for a trade that looks like it will include White.
    Gee that’s going to gut them a fair bit. Let’s hope we hang onto all or most of Elle, Fitzy, Lamb, Rylie, Gabby, Pritchard, Edmonds, Brown, Grant, Hunt…..

I know new clubs need to be competitive but it challenges the loyalty of supporters when you see so many players change clubs.

Post Thanks / Like

Hallelujah! We lost nobody during the PSP! About bloody time we stopped being the continual prey of expansion teams.

There is still the trade period to come and we've had a poor record for various reasons in retaining our good players from the clutches of non-expansion teams so we are not guaranteed to get through this period unscathed but today is great news.

Importantly, Brisbane, Collingwood, Adelaide and North have been weakened which gives us some hope of overtaking them.

I was completely wrong about the impact on Brisbane but it is quite frankly unbelievable that Melbourne have suffered no loss of playing talent particularly when both Essendon and Hawthorn each had a free hit remaining.

20. Thanks bornadog, josie thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One one hand I'm disappointed to lose Morris Dalton, on the other I kinda feel that she was just not developing as we'd have liked. Moody and Newton playing as permanent key forwards made her a little redundant.

https://twitter.com/BulldogsW/status...93172217438209

22. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes josie liked this post