Thanks Thanks:  253
Likes Likes:  442
Page 43 of 70 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344454647484950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Aflw 2022/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aflw 2022/2023

More promising than last week, even though another loss.

Blackburn hardly fumbles, such a big difference b/w her and most of our other players. She?s such a natural footballer. Lamb trying her guts out as always. Nice to see McLeod kick a few goals. Lynch took some beaut marks. Newton starting to show why she was no. 1 pick and I like her feistyness. Grant did some nice things including a few nice runs, plus a few mistakes which she?ll learn from. We are missing Brown in backline.

It?s going to be tough against Dees.

2. Likes Hotdog60 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    More promising than last week, even though another loss.
    Geez...I'm not so sure Josie.

That was a brutally bad game of footy between 2x bottom four teams.

It's actually hard to know where to start - we don't seem to have a plan but at the same time we cannot connect more than 2 possessions in a row so you can't even tell...

There's always bad games but this was brutal.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Geez...I'm not so sure Josie.

That was a brutally bad game of footy between 2x bottom four teams.

It's actually hard to know where to start - we don't seem to have a plan but at the same time we cannot connect more than 2 possessions in a row so you can't even tell...

There's always bad games but this was brutal.
    Yeah, we don’t look like contenders.

Do you think it’s a poor game plan, personnel or coaching?

I think we have similar problems to our men’s team - If we don’t win contested ball we are badly beaten on the outside. I think we looked ok in patches and our F50 looked ok, a bit shaky in D50 and also lacking players with speed with will or ability to take the game on. We also depend upon Blackburn and Lamb too much, just like we depend too much in Bont and Libba.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Yeah, we don’t look like contenders.

Do you think it’s a poor game plan, personnel or coaching?
    Where do you start?

It's unclear to me how we are trying to move the ball - but our poor skill ex makes moving the ball almost impossible so how can there even be a plan?? I'm pretty bumbed right now - I thought by the end of last season we were playing OK and thought we had reasonable continuity over the break (unlike in past seasons).

That final pre-season game looked dire though - it doesn't look like the girls know each other let alone like they've been training together - and I just cant see a win. Geelong are going to be a good side and pre-season I expected to start 0-1 but not like that....the Hawks game has been marked on my calendar as a win from the time the fixture came out though and from the time McFarlane kicked that goal in the 3rd we just didn't LOOK like scoring.

We'll get better I guess but it's a tough watch right now.

6. Thanks josie, Prince Imperial, 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I went along yesterday (with my partner & 2 kids) and as mjp has rightly pointed out there isn't much to like about how we are playing.

There seems to be no structure ahead of the ball and the amount of basic skill errors being made is unbecoming of a semi-professional team.. especially when compared to other teams. No doubt we have been stripped bare of depth & quality due to the rapid expansion of the competition, but the outlook is bleak.

On top of that it really was an awful day at the footy due to:

- Only one gate open to enter/ exit (on the outer side at least)
    - Two food outlets in the entire stadium - waited for 30min to get lunch and missed most of the 3rd qtr. Pathetic!
    - The speakers were turned up to the max so couldn't talk during the breaks.
    - To rub it in the Hawthorn team & staff took a good 15min to exit the stadium after the game delaying the opportunity to have a kick on the ground.

8. Thanks 1eyedog, josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I went along yesterday (with my partner & 2 kids) and as mjp has rightly pointed out there isn't much to like about how we are playing.

There seems to be no structure ahead of the ball and the amount of basic skill errors being made is unbecoming of a semi-professional team.. especially when compared to other teams. No doubt we have been stripped bare of depth & quality due to the rapid expansion of the competition, but the outlook is bleak.

On top of that it really was an awful day at the footy due to:

- Only one gate open to enter/ exit (on the outer side at least)
    - Two food outlets in the entire stadium - waited for 30min to get lunch and missed most of the 3rd qtr. Pathetic!
    - The speakers were turned up to the max so couldn't talk during the breaks.
    - To rub it in the Hawthorn team & staff took a good 15min to exit the stadium after the game delaying the opportunity to have a kick on the ground.
    I’m waiting until we are playing at WO to watch our team. Hopefully playing at the new digs will put a spring in their step.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Where do you start?

It's unclear to me how we are trying to move the ball - but our poor skill ex makes moving the ball almost impossible so how can there even be a plan?? I'm pretty bumbed right now - I thought by the end of last season we were playing OK and thought we had reasonable continuity over the break (unlike in past seasons).

That final pre-season game looked dire though - it doesn't look like the girls know each other let alone like they've been training together - and I just cant see a win. Geelong are going to be a good side and pre-season I expected to start 0-1 but not like that....the Hawks game has been marked on my calendar as a win from the time the fixture came out though and from the time McFarlane kicked that goal in the 3rd we just didn't LOOK like scoring.

We'll get better I guess but it's a tough watch right now.
    Newton is playing too high and our foot skills out of defence are not up to par. We're turning the ball over in the worst possible places and kicking it to way too many 50/50 contests. I dunno maybe they're not working hard enough.

Not sure where Eleanor Brown is at I haven't seen her at all we really miss her composure and kicking in D50. She's a really solid player.

Couple of players are down on last year, Edmonds, Lamb and Berry first game for the year was very rusty. Grant was sensational.

We seemed to go through the motions in the last thinking things would just happen.
    Last edited by 1eyedog; 12-09-2023 at 09:45 AM.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

WESTERN BULLDOGS

In: M.Gorham, H.Woodley, A.Smith
    Out: N.Ferres (omitted), D.Bateman (omitted), B.Hunt (omitted)
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    WESTERN BULLDOGS

In: M.Gorham, H.Woodley, A.Smith
    Out: N.Ferres (omitted), D.Bateman (omitted), B.Hunt (omitted)
    Will be a tough ask this week
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Will be a tough ask this week
    LOL.

You could say that, yeah. We would have to lose 15% to drop below WC but geez...Melbourne have some fire-power up front.

Post Thanks / Like

Going on the last two weeks I can't see us getting for this one. Best we can hope for is they keep it close but I think we'll be blown away.

Funny I was all fired up for this season but the performance so far has that dented.

With expansion clubs it seems to work out in both the AFLW and the AFL that the clubs that can least afford to loose their good players are the ones that do.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

15. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be happy if we kick a goal.

This has drubbing written all over it. Records could tumble.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I'll be happy if we kick a goal.

This has drubbing written all over it. Records could tumble.
    Can we get Terry Wallace in as a consultant for a game?

18. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post

Not sure where Eleanor Brown is at I haven't seen her at all we really miss her composure and kicking in D50. She's a really solid player.
    She is still suffering from concussion issues and might not play this season, or maybe ever.

It’s a shame as she is probably in our best handful of players and as you mentioned uses the ball well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    She is still suffering from concussion issues and might not play this season, or maybe ever.

It’s a shame as she is probably in our best handful of players and as you mentioned uses the ball well.
    Oh that's very very sad.

What a horrible thing.

21. Likes josie liked this post