Thanks Thanks:  253
Likes Likes:  442
Page 44 of 70 FirstFirst ... 343536373839404142434445464748495051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: Aflw 2022/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aflw 2022/2023

Down 37-21 half time at windy Casey fields. Guttsing it out. Defence has predictably been under a lot of pressure against the reigning premiers. We have the wind in the 3rd so hopefully can make headway.

Post Thanks / Like

14 points down going into the last. Will be hard against the wind.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We seem to be our own worst enemy giving away the 50 after a lot of hard work and then a couple of easy goals in the 3rd.
    Otherwise a good effort so far.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Predictable result but a much better performance than the two matches against North and Geelong that I've seen so far this year.

Coyne and Gorham (two of the lesser lights) were both decent in defence against the weight of inside 50s I thought.

Fitzgerald is proving to be a very underwhelming number pick 2 unfortunately.

5. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    Predictable result but a much better performance than the two matches against North and Geelong that I've seen so far this year.

Coyne and Gorham (two of the lesser lights) were both decent in defence against the weight of inside 50s I thought.

Fitzgerald is proving to be a very underwhelming number pick 2 unfortunately.
    Starting to agree on Fitzgerald has all the tools but doesn't do enough. I wonder if its fitness or attitude.

Post Thanks / Like

Burke's presser was interesting he mentions about a lot of the girls have had a poor pre season and mentioned Wilcox has only had one week of training before the weekend so she did a Brillant effort.
    The AFL needs to be so half arsed with the girls and bring them in line with the men even if it means the early days of having sub par players on the list to make up the numbers.
    They will only get more injury prone if they are not fit enough the play at the top level.

8. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just listened to the Danny Boyd AFLW preseason podcast, where McGinlay talks to a couple of players (Newton, Fitzgerald, Carruthers) and Burke.

Quite jarring listening to it now we are three bad rounds in, and it comes across as optimistic at best and naive and overconfident at worst, with major apparent weaknesses we have observed on here being talked up as strengths.

Burke commenting in the above post about a lot of girls having a poor pre season is at direct odds with how he talks about our fitness work really taking a step forward in this podcast and being a key reason why we will improve. Points out we were hitting our previous seasons fitness marks by the 6th week this time around.

Both Burke and the girls are super positive about our Premiership credentials this season and beyond. The girls were very optimistic saying they don't see why we shouldn't be able to match it with anyone and that a Premiershop should be the goal. Burke went further and is clear his goal is two flags by 2025. Justifies it by pointing out how since we believe we are improving and we made finals last year then the natural improvement of our goals is now flag, and if you are good enough to win one you should be good enough to win two. Not sure if we should be putting this down to St.Kilda naivity seeing as he isn't exactly a hardened premiership winner in any respect.

Also all interviewed really talked up our depth and how the squad bats deep, with the new recruits (McFarlane, Carruthers and Gorman) all being quality. Interesting that many of the discussion points here are all about how shallow the pool is.

The other comments I found interesting were Burke talking about how he is introducing a lot fo footy iq stuff. I doubt it means anything but the way he talked about it felt very much like they were comfortable the squad had all the fundamentals sorted so could afford to finesse with the fancy bits.

Again I just found it jarring the difference between clearly what were lofty expectations and what has thus far been a pretty dire set of performances, and if they were a higher profile side or podcast I can't imagine how gleefully the whole thing would be picked apart by supporters and media.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

10. Thanks bornadog, Prince Imperial thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Again I just found it jarring the difference between clearly what were lofty expectations and what has thus far been a pretty dire set of performances...
    I thought we were a finals chance as well - finished last year well, I thought the list had been 'solidified' not by adding players but by getting experience into what was a pretty young group.

The team is not on the same page at the moment.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Well they just got another pay raise but is it enough to go full time? Or do they want to be full time footballers?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Well they just got another pay raise but is it enough to go full time? Or do they want to be full time footballers?
    The girls want to be full-time - or have the option of being full-time - at least during the season.

The CBA at the moment allows for them to have 1x training session 'during the day' but the others must start after 4pm...I think. The WCE and Freo girls are both at the club on Wednesday from (I wanna say 10am) and do a 6-hour day....
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

14. Thanks Hotdog60 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gold Coast - 5.3 from 17 inside 50’s
    Dogs - 3.1 from 20 inside 50’s

The game plan is truly club wide
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Gold Coast - 5.3 from 17 inside 50’s
    Dogs - 3.1 from 20 inside 50’s

The game plan is truly club wide
    There's a lack of forward connection, but even more importantly a lack of quality leading and marking forwards after losing Toogood, Huntington and Brennan.

Post Thanks / Like

Played so well, really had them on toast there at the end just couldn't quite nail it.
    The Fitzgerald miss costly, however lots of good signs.
    Berry was brilliant, really like Pritchard too.

18. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    There's a lack of forward connection, but even more importantly a lack of quality leading and marking forwards after losing Toogood, Huntington and Brennan.
    The expansion has changed the fortunes of the two pioneering clubs with Melbourne going virtually unscathed and us being pillaged to the hilt.
    I like Wilcox and has some talent and I would like to see her in the guts with Blackburn.
    We look slow and unfit and can't cover the ground like the oppo can.

20. Likes Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fine games from Georgostathis and Wilcox were a positive.

Newton has delivered very little up forward this year. She only got into the game when she was moved to defence. Might need to play her there more often and to strengthen a backline that has conceded too many goals this season.

22. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost liked this post