Thanks Thanks:  253
Likes Likes:  442
Page 48 of 70 FirstFirst ... 383940414243444546474849505152535455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: Aflw 2022/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aflw 2022/2023

Doubt we win a game this season
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Something has to give or they will lose a lot of people turning up to games.
    I would say anyone within the footy department won’t be there next year if the club is serious about women’s football.
    Can’t see Nathan Burke keeping his job either.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Will we get the North Melbourne deals?

Foundation club floundering. Does the AFL care?

5. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Will we get the North Melbourne deals?

Foundation club floundering. Does the AFL care?
    Why should we? We are performing well off the field and reasonably well on it, and we are self-made. I never want us to have the attitude of requesting anything cap in hand to city hall, and then being forced to have eternal gratitude for having a few crumbs thrown our way. It is so debasing.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

7. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Why should we? We are performing well off the field and reasonably well on it, and we are self-made. I never want us to have the attitude of requesting anything cap in hand to city hall, and then being forced to have eternal gratitude for having a few crumbs thrown our way. It is so debasing.
    I'm pretty sure we receive funding without which we wouldn't be in profit.
    I get your point and agree philosophically however it's clear we've been cruelled by expansion and probably need a leg up to balance that out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Doubt we win a game this season
    Number one pick sounds good.

10. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With our season going so well we should ask the AFL for assistance like North Melbourne got.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

12. Likes josie, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Worry is how many of our star players will want out next year at this rate.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

This is an old article but it just shows how the two pioneering clubs have faired with Melbourne becoming a power house and the dogs floundering at the opposite end of the competition.

Dogs? losing battle against expansion compounded
    The Bulldogs have lost a total of 17 All-Australian selections to rival clubs in recent years, and they?ve just said goodbye to another two stars 😬

Bonnie Toogood's switch to AFLW expansion side Essendon adds to the star-studded list of Dogs players to have departed the Kennel across the club's short tenure in the league.

With further expansion thinning the talent pool across 18 sides, the Bulldogs have arguably felt the greatest bite across the AFLW's rapid growth.

The past week has seen both Toogood and partner-in-crime Isabel Huntington request moves elsewhere, with the latter on the verge of landing with the Giants in the off-season.

Toogood ended the 2022 season as the club's leading goalkicker, a feat that was held by Huntington the year prior as the dynamic duo combined for almost half of the club's 43 majors in 2021.

The pair of departures compound the known frustrations for the club and their fans, having now seen another key name from their 2018 premiership side find a new home and further stunt their hopes of a second AFLW flag.

?We?re in a difficult period in the AFLW?s evolution, where competition expansion means we?re exposed to losing key players, and we?re clearly not alone in this as the new teams establish themselves in the league," the Dogs' Women's football boss Debbie Lee said after Toogood's exit.

?We?ve worked hard to create an environment which enables our players to flourish, both on and off the field, and we will continue to prioritise their development.

?In that context, while it remains incredibly frustrating to lose players during expansion periods, it?s also not surprising that our players continue to be targeted."
    Even prior to their inaugural premiership win, the calibre of players that have found new pastures makes for ugly viewing for the Bulldogs faithful.

Between Libby Birch, Katie Brennan, Emma Kearney, Monique Conti, Meg McDonald and Jaimee Lambert alone, the Dogs have parted ways with a total of 17 All-Australian selections since 2017.

Kearney - a six-time All-Australian representative - is perhaps the most frustrating for the Dogs, having been the league's best and fairest winner in the same year she opted to leave Whitten Oval for North Melbourne.

Conti has quickly risen into a leading role for Richmond as one of the AFLW's most lethal ball winners, while McDonald and Birch are now cornerstones for the rearguards of Geelong and Melbourne respectively.

Brennan has rekindled her career-best form across the past season, while Jaimee Lambert has continued to lead a young Magpies cohort across five seasons in the black and white.

While both McDonald and Lambert left the Bulldogs prior to their successes of 2018, the pair add to the 'what if?' theory that continues to surround Barkly Street.

Since the end of 2018 the Bulldogs endured an arduous run to secure a second premiership, having failed to make finals and recording 12 wins from 31 matches.

Now planning their seventh season, the Dogs will have a further four rivals to contend with while coming off the back of a 10th-placed finish and without the two main pillars of their attack, leaving Nathan Burke with an almighty hill to climb in hope of challenging for the top in the near future.

LINK

15. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    This is an old article but it just shows how the two pioneering clubs have faired with Melbourne becoming a power house and the dogs floundering at the opposite end of the competition.

Dogs? losing battle against expansion compounded
    The Bulldogs have lost a total of 17 All-Australian selections to rival clubs in recent years, and they?ve just said goodbye to another two stars 

Bonnie Toogood's switch to AFLW expansion side Essendon adds to the star-studded list of Dogs players to have departed the Kennel across the club's short tenure in the league.

With further expansion thinning the talent pool across 18 sides, the Bulldogs have arguably felt the greatest bite across the AFLW's rapid growth.

The past week has seen both Toogood and partner-in-crime Isabel Huntington request moves elsewhere, with the latter on the verge of landing with the Giants in the off-season.

Toogood ended the 2022 season as the club's leading goalkicker, a feat that was held by Huntington the year prior as the dynamic duo combined for almost half of the club's 43 majors in 2021.

The pair of departures compound the known frustrations for the club and their fans, having now seen another key name from their 2018 premiership side find a new home and further stunt their hopes of a second AFLW flag.

?We?re in a difficult period in the AFLW?s evolution, where competition expansion means we?re exposed to losing key players, and we?re clearly not alone in this as the new teams establish themselves in the league," the Dogs' Women's football boss Debbie Lee said after Toogood's exit.

?We?ve worked hard to create an environment which enables our players to flourish, both on and off the field, and we will continue to prioritise their development.

?In that context, while it remains incredibly frustrating to lose players during expansion periods, it?s also not surprising that our players continue to be targeted."
    Even prior to their inaugural premiership win, the calibre of players that have found new pastures makes for ugly viewing for the Bulldogs faithful.

Between Libby Birch, Katie Brennan, Emma Kearney, Monique Conti, Meg McDonald and Jaimee Lambert alone, the Dogs have parted ways with a total of 17 All-Australian selections since 2017.

Kearney - a six-time All-Australian representative - is perhaps the most frustrating for the Dogs, having been the league's best and fairest winner in the same year she opted to leave Whitten Oval for North Melbourne.

Conti has quickly risen into a leading role for Richmond as one of the AFLW's most lethal ball winners, while McDonald and Birch are now cornerstones for the rearguards of Geelong and Melbourne respectively.

Brennan has rekindled her career-best form across the past season, while Jaimee Lambert has continued to lead a young Magpies cohort across five seasons in the black and white.

While both McDonald and Lambert left the Bulldogs prior to their successes of 2018, the pair add to the 'what if?' theory that continues to surround Barkly Street.

Since the end of 2018 the Bulldogs endured an arduous run to secure a second premiership, having failed to make finals and recording 12 wins from 31 matches.

Now planning their seventh season, the Dogs will have a further four rivals to contend with while coming off the back of a 10th-placed finish and without the two main pillars of their attack, leaving Nathan Burke with an almighty hill to climb in hope of challenging for the top in the near future.

LINK
    WE need a new coach and new management of the team. What a farce.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I tbink Blackburn was close too (leaving) , be interesting to see how she feels about it now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I tbink Blackburn was close too (leaving) , be interesting to see how she feels about it now.
    I consider myself very loyal but if Ellie were to leave that would really test me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    I consider myself very loyal but if Ellie were to leave that would really test me.
    I wouldn't blame her if she did.

Deserves her slice of the cash and more success.

20. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Keely Coyne confirmed ACL. Best wishes in her recovery.

Our injury toll has been high.

Horrible McLeod concussed again. Wonder if in interests of her health she’ll retire? Tough player, cursed with injuries.
    Last edited by josie; 17-10-2023 at 04:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 21
    Western Bulldogs v Sydney at the Whitten Oval, 1.05pm AEDT

WESTERN BULLDOGS

In: I.Pritchard, G.Lagioia, R.Cranston, H.Woodley
    Out: K.McLeod (concussion), K.Coyne (knee), A.Edmonds (finger), D.Carruthers (concussion)

SYDNEY

In: J.O'Sullivan, R.Sargent-Wilson, B.Lochland, P.McCarthy
    Out: L.Szigeti (omitted), A.Whelan (omitted), J.Anthony (omitted), A.Morphett (knee)

23. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post