Thanks Thanks:  253
Likes Likes:  442
Page 54 of 70 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: Aflw 2022/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aflw 2022/2023

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I have heard really poor things about our culture, both within the playing group and with the way our club embraces the women's program.

Re: finances, yes there is a salary cap but there is much more of a 'local footy' feel with a lot of women's players having full time jobs that are organised by their clubs.
    Yep, I have no doubt about any of this but how other small Vic clubs like North and Melbourne are able to retain and attract players with such offers and we can't is disappointing.

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard really poor things about our culture, both within the playing group and with the way our club embraces the women's program.

Re: finances, yes there is a salary cap but there is much more of a 'local footy' feel with a lot of women's players having full time jobs that are organised by their clubs.
    Culture as in not being professional enough across players and personnel? Related to performance inputs like extras after training etc. or something else?

There's absolutely no excuse for people at our club not to embrace the women's program. It's permission to play in terms of personnel who have even the slightest impact on its running. If people don't like it they should be told to **** off.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Culture as in not being professional enough across players and personnel? Related to performance inputs like extras after training etc. or something else?
    Everyone wants to feel connection - great teams stay together because the best players all sacrifice something ($, game-time, positional certainty) to play with their mates. You could argue we don't have that in the mens or the womens right now.

Certainly there has been a trail of girls marching out the door...Money is only one part of it. It can be a BIG part (I get that), but our salary cap is the same as the other clubs.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

There's absolutely no excuse for people at our club not to embrace the women's program. It's permission to play in terms of personnel who have even the slightest impact on its running. If people don't like it they should be told to **** off.
    The women's players don't feel that they are afforded the same professional respect within the club as what the teams at other clubs like North and Demons receive. Hopefully the new facilities will improve this dramatically.

There have also been consistent divides within our playing group, according to people I spoke to a year ago. Not sure if that has improved this year.

We have also had players leave the club because of romantic relationships breaking down.

5. Thanks mjp, josie, Prince Imperial, HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The women's players don't feel that they are afforded the same professional respect within the club as what the teams at other clubs like North and Demons receive. Hopefully the new facilities will improve this dramatically.

There have also been consistent divides within our playing group, according to people I spoke to a year ago. Not sure if that has improved this year.

We have also had players leave the club because of romantic relationships breaking down.
    Thanks for all that Jd.

Post Thanks / Like

Never date a team mate.

8. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Never date a team mate.
    I actually met my wife playing football in London, while she played football for the same club. I guess it's more clubmate than teammate...

There is a mindmap online somewhere which shows all the inter team connections within women's soccer, I imagine something similar could be created for women's footy.

It does add a complexity to list management, that's for sure!

10. Likes Grantysghost, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually met my wife playing football in London, while she played football for the same club. I guess it's more clubmate than teammate...

There is a mindmap online somewhere which shows all the inter team connections within women's soccer, I imagine something similar could be created for women's footy.

It does add a complexity to list management, that's for sure!
    Wow that trumps my wife meeting story (Melton nightclub).
    It does add some layers of complexity.
    Would we be niave enough to think it's never happened in the men's game? (G is getting ready with the dump button for this convo)

12. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully, though the players were given impressive new facilities in the Gent Stand at the start of 2019 which they seemed pretty excited about, yet this seems to have made little difference in player retention. Nor did playing before consistently the biggest crowds in the AFLW competition from 2017-19.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=569299960233804

Post Thanks / Like

Suns chase Dogs star, Dees defender to strengthen key position stocks
    The Suns are hoping to land key-position players during the Trade Period

GOLD COAST is hoping to bolster its key position stocks during the upcoming AFLW Trade Period, with the club chasing deals for Western Bulldogs star Katie Lynch as well as Melbourne's Charlotte Wilson.

Lynch, who was named at centre-half back in the AFLW's All-Australian team last year, had been exploring her options but it's understood the Suns have since emerged as a frontrunner for her services.

The 23-year-old is renowned as one of the competition's best key-position players and has shown she is capable of playing at either end of the field across her 42-game career, of which 35 have been spent with the Dogs and seven with Collingwood.

Wilson is also a trade target for Gold Coast, having struggled to break Melbourne's best side since moving from Carlton last year. The 22-year-old has played just eight games in two seasons for the Demons, having featured 22 times for the Blues.

Despite the club's interest in the players, there remains a question mark as to how deals will be completed given the Suns don't currently hold a second-round pick ahead of the Trade Period opening on December 7.

Gold Coast's interest in the pair comes as the Suns hope to improve upon a successful campaign in 2023, where Cameron Joyce's side finished 6-3-1 to qualify for the finals for the first time in its history.

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Suns chase Dogs star, Dees defender to strengthen key position stocks
    The Suns are hoping to land key-position players during the Trade Period

GOLD COAST is hoping to bolster its key position stocks during the upcoming AFLW Trade Period, with the club chasing deals for Western Bulldogs star Katie Lynch as well as Melbourne's Charlotte Wilson.

Lynch, who was named at centre-half back in the AFLW's All-Australian team last year, had been exploring her options but it's understood the Suns have since emerged as a frontrunner for her services.

The 23-year-old is renowned as one of the competition's best key-position players and has shown she is capable of playing at either end of the field across her 42-game career, of which 35 have been spent with the Dogs and seven with Collingwood.

Wilson is also a trade target for Gold Coast, having struggled to break Melbourne's best side since moving from Carlton last year. The 22-year-old has played just eight games in two seasons for the Demons, having featured 22 times for the Blues.

Despite the club's interest in the players, there remains a question mark as to how deals will be completed given the Suns don't currently hold a second-round pick ahead of the Trade Period opening on December 7.

Gold Coast's interest in the pair comes as the Suns hope to improve upon a successful campaign in 2023, where Cameron Joyce's side finished 6-3-1 to qualify for the finals for the first time in its history.

LINK
    Typical. We face losing an All-Australian player and the Demons face losing a fringe player.

Post Thanks / Like

Will the AFL step in and help us with picks like they have Norths men’s team ?
    We have lost so many great players due to new clubs coming in but have been compensated bugger all.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Are we SURE Peter Jackson can't look at the AFLW program as well?

Losing Lynch and Newton, and bringing in a (admittedly very good and young) ruck when we already have two strong rucks in Edmonds and Moody, feels like another massive step backwards.
    Totally agree. Yep can't see the logic in chasing another ruck.

Post Thanks / Like

If Ellie goes we might as well wind the joint up.

This got anything to do with the Alberti fracture? She really seemed a unifying figure in the women's teams.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    If Ellie goes we might as well wind the joint up.

This got anything to do with the Alberti fracture? She really seemed a unifying figure in the women's teams.
    AFL would have to do something that couldn’t possibly let a woman’s team wind up.
    I would say if Jackson is looking at the way the club runs it includes AFL, VFL and women’s as it would all be intertwined in the admin side . They all come under the same company Footscray football club.

I think the Alberti fracture was blown up by the media and a little bit of misunderstanding by both. IIRC she thought she could walk in anywhere but she wasn’t on the committee anymore.
    The security were just doing their job.
    It was all just an oversight.
    Sometimes you don’t see problems coming until they happen.
    Bring back the biff