Thanks Thanks:  253
Likes Likes:  442
Page 57 of 70 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: Aflw 2022/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aflw 2022/2023

Another kick in the guts - she was a huge loss

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Even though we got the number 1 pick (who is now about to walk out the door), this one is the most sickening loss.
    Last edited by Prince Imperial; 28-11-2023 at 12:48 PM.

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aflw 2022

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Here's a team of Bulldogs lost to expansion/trade (anyone got a spare half-back flanker for me?). Compensated for the loss of most of these with a packet of twisties.

B: Birch; Gamble
    CHB: Meg McDonald; Aasta O'Connor; ...
    C: Lochland; Lambert; Bruton
    HF: McCarthy; Huntington; Bannister
    F: Toogood; Brennan
    R: Rennie; Conti; Kearney
    So after this year:

B: Birch (AA, PREMIERSHIP); Gamble
    CHB: Meg McDonald (AA); Aasta O'Connor; Katie Lynch (most likely)
    HF: McCarthy; Huntington; Newton
    F: Toogood (AA VC); Brennan (AA)
    R: Rennie; Conti (AA, B&F); Kearney (AA, B&F)
    Bench: Bannister

Nahhhh it's all good.

5. Thanks Grantysghost, Bulldog4life, HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So after this year:

B: Birch (AA, PREMIERSHIP); Gamble
    CHB: Meg McDonald (AA); Aasta O'Connor; Katie Lynch (most likely)
    HF: McCarthy; Huntington; Newton
    F: Toogood (AA VC); Brennan (AA)
    R: Rennie; Conti (AA, B&F); Kearney (AA, B&F)
    Bench: Bannister

Nahhhh it's all good.
    We don't want to see Ellie in the red and black either. God I really am quite concerned she will leave.

Man how do we stuff this up. Probably half the afl pilfering us and the other half taking our eye off the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    We don't want to see Ellie in the red and black either. God I really am quite concerned she will leave.

Man how do we stuff this up. Probably half the afl pilfering us and the other half taking our eye off the ball.
    I think it's convenient to go we were raided and others are cheating the cap etc. From what I've heard, it's a lack of care for AFLW/it being a bit of a shit show the girls don't feel valued/like the club is run well at AFLW level.

8. Thanks Prince Imperial thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I think it's convenient to go we were raided and others are cheating the cap etc. From what I've heard, it's a lack of care for AFLW/it being a bit of a shit show the girls don't feel valued/like the club is run well at AFLW level.
    Yes agree RJ. From what I've heard anecdotally we haven't necessarily made it a place that players love to be at. We have copped more than most in the pilfering stakes, however if you make it a place peeps want to stay then you don't see that as much. Newton leaving is just terrible news and has to be catalyst for review.

We need to talk to her candidly and find out why.

Post Thanks / Like

In lighter news, if Norf win next week then it's a clean sweep of Brisbane teams making the respective Grand Finals and losing.

04 Feb 23, Brisbane Heat lose Big Bash Final
    30 Sep 23, Brisbane Lions lose AFL GF
    01 Oct 23, Brisbane Broncos lose NRL GF

11. Thanks SquirrelGrip, HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes josie, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

I have been told that Ellie and Bonnie are dating, and given her ex plays for the Bulldogs...let's just say I'm not confident

13. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been told that Ellie and Bonnie are dating, and given her ex plays for the Bulldogs...let's just say I'm not confident
    Wow! The whole 'relationship' scenario in AFLW certainly adds another layer of complexity with keeping players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Wow! The whole 'relationship' scenario in AFLW certainly adds another layer of complexity with keeping players.
    They need to be more professional and not let relationships influence their footy.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    They need to be more professional and not let relationships influence their footy.
    I don't see it as unprofessional at all to ask to play with their partner. It is reflective of the generally high amount of player movement, which has been accelerated by the expansion. I don't think there's much club loyalty in the aflw, but I don't blame the players for that.

If a couple of teammates broke up mid season and that affected their effort or output, then that would be unprofessional. I haven't seen evidence of that.

Post Thanks / Like

It does add another element to the sport and one I think over time I will have trouble following.
    Its nothing to do with relationships but more with players chopping and changing.
    Here one year gone the next its hard to invest in a team that has no settled base of players invested in the club.
    I realise this is more to do with being part time and not being fully professional so players will chase better financial support if its offered to them.
    But it does nothing to embrace the fans who like to follow their heroes.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see it as unprofessional at all to ask to play with their partner. It is reflective of the generally high amount of player movement, which has been accelerated by the expansion. I don't think there's much club loyalty in the aflw, but I don't blame the players for that.

If a couple of teammates broke up mid season and that affected their effort or output, then that would be unprofessional. I haven't seen evidence of that.
    Didn't you say some players left due to relationship issues?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Didn't you say some players left due to relationship issues?
    Yes, but I don't see that as unprofessional.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Its nothing to do with relationships but more with players chopping and changing.
    Here one year gone the next its hard to invest in a team that has no settled base of players invested in the club.
    I realise this is more to do with being part time and not being fully professional so players will chase better financial support if its offered to them....
    But if one club is part time and another club is part time, surely the $ are not that different? In the early expansion stages, sure - we were 'raided' a bit (ok - a lot) but our girls left and the Melbourne girls stayed...so there's something up beyond $.

But NOW - everyone has the same cap and the same number of listed players. Sure - I get that Ellie can get big money to leave...but she would be doing OK NOW - all the clubs are dealing with the same $ issues...and honestly, we should have more available than most.

I'm finding it super hard to remain connected with our AFLW team...apart from the 'laundry', I'm not sure who I'm cheering for. Are they with us or against us? It's the same reason I cant stand things like the transfer system in soccer etc...I did play there, now I play here and it's all part of my journey to end up there...it sucks. It's the players we build relationships with - we admire them for the way they play - they are part of US, OUR team...I just dont get that with the girls.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

21. Thanks Hotdog60 thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life, bornadog liked this post